170 LSAT and 3.56 GPA: Where to ED? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Mike12188

Silver

Re: 170 LSAT and 3.56 GPA: Where to ED?

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Muenchen wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:Muenchen you sound like a fucking idiot. If your gonna be a smartass at least know your shit.

OP if you want UVA ED there on 9/1 and there is a 99% chance your cycle will be over in less than 2 weeks. You have a good chance at MVP with ED, according to past cycles your best chance is UVA. Here is last cycle on LSN

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd

It looks like the one waitlist didn't apply till late november or dec/jan. And btw if you are URM don't ED.
Ah yes, it's the people who offer guarantees on things like a random internet person's law school app cycle who are the real sages of these boards. How dare I try to temper expectations and call out people on their derp.
Thats fine to call him out on offering a guarantee, but it is as close to a guarantee as he will get within the T14. But to try and call him out by using LSP to predict a splitters ED chance with UVA is absurd. And then to be a smartass on top of that just made me hate you.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:05 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:Muenchen you sound like a fucking idiot. If your gonna be a smartass at least know your shit.

OP if you want UVA ED there on 9/1 and there is a 99% chance your cycle will be over in less than 2 weeks. You have a good chance at MVP with ED, according to past cycles your best chance is UVA. Here is last cycle on LSN

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd

It looks like the one waitlist didn't apply till late november or dec/jan. And btw if you are URM don't ED.
Ah yes, it's the people who offer guarantees on things like a random internet person's law school app cycle who are the real sages of these boards. How dare I try to temper expectations and call out people on their derp.
Thats fine to call him out on offering a guarantee, but it is as close to a guarantee as he will get within the T14. But to try and call him out by using LSP to predict a splitters ED chance with UVA is absurd. And then to be a smartass on top of that just made me hate you.
Oh, dear.

grimfan

New

Post by grimfan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Whoa! This thread exploded recently, but most of it seems to be due to a personal spat between two posters.

I think I'm going with a Penn ED. I would like to be on an urban campus, and Philly is a big city and close to NYC (one of the big reasons I wanted NYU was because I have lots of friends and family there).

So Penn ED... What do you guys think?

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:00 pm

I think you have a much better chance at UVA on Day 1. At least you will get a quick answer and then can try elsewhere.

grimfan

New

Post by grimfan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:02 pm

bmore wrote:I think you have a much better chance at UVA on Day 1. At least you will get a quick answer and then can try elsewhere.
Their ED is binding though, right?

BTW, on LSP, I experimented with the EDs, and an ED to Penn was the only one that had an effect on the decision.
Last edited by grimfan on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:09 pm

grimfan wrote:Whoa! This thread exploded recently, but most of it seems to be due to a personal spat between two posters.

I think I'm going with a Penn ED. I would like to be on an urban campus, and Philly is a big city and close to NYC (one of the big reasons I wanted NYU was because I have lots of friends and family there).

Great decision! It might be tough, but ED will give you a small bump that might make the difference. If that fails, you would still have time for UVA ED too.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:16 pm

grimfan wrote:Whoa! This thread exploded recently, but most of it seems to be due to a personal spat between two posters.

UVA is probably a much more likely acceptance, but if you have a strong preference for Penn I think that's a good call.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Muenchen wrote:170/3.4 ED -----> WLed
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/wagonwheel

172/3.22 ED -------> Rejected
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kabuo

170/3.3 ED --------> Rejected
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/cjr52

I realize these are late EDs and I never said he wouldn't get it, just that it wasn't anything near a 100% absolute certain lock. Saying that it is derpy as fuck. OP should instantly be suspicious of such assuredness.
TBF Muni, those are low-3.0 and OP has a 3.56. 3.5 is a pretty significant GPA cutoff marker, just like 170 is. With that said...I have no idea what OP's chances are at UVA or Penn ED. Just wanted to point that out.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:59 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

I realize these are late EDs and I never said he wouldn't get it, just that it wasn't anything near a 100% absolute certain lock. Saying that it is derpy as fuck. OP should instantly be suspicious of such assuredness.
TBF Muni, those are low-3.0 and OP has a 3.56. 3.5 is a pretty significant GPA cutoff marker, just like 170 is. With that said...I have no idea what OP's chances are at UVA or Penn ED. Just wanted to point that out.
No I agree that they're not the same and that the OPs number are better, but I think that these examples, in additon to not being able to predict what the future applicant pool will be, are close enough to OPs numbers that they should give pause to anyone saying OP will 100% get in. Maybe I'm being a little too harsh on what I see as insufficient modesty and caution in app predictions.
Last edited by Muenchen on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Muenchen wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote: TBF Muni, those are low-3.0 and OP has a 3.56. 3.5 is a pretty significant GPA cutoff marker, just like 170 is. With that said...I have no idea what OP's chances are at UVA or Penn ED. Just wanted to point that out.
No I agree that they're not the same and that the OPs number are better, but I think that these examples, in additon to not being able to predict what the future applicant pool will be, are close enough to OPs numbers that they should give pause to anyone saying OP will 100% get in.
I think at this point the whole argument is about splitting hairs. Obviously the right numbers don't guarantee acceptance anywhere, but can't we all agree that the OP would have a very good shot if he applied to UVA ED? (Which is a moot point since they're going to ED at Penn)

/thread.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:17 pm

grimfan wrote:
bmore wrote:I think you have a much better chance at UVA on Day 1. At least you will get a quick answer and then can try elsewhere.
Their ED is binding though, right?

BTW, on LSP, I experimented with the EDs, and an ED to Penn was the only one that had an effect on the decision.
:?: I'm pretty sure 99%, if not 100% of the schools that offer ED are binding. EA at schools such as Cornell is different and pretty sure it doesn't give you any bit of a boost. UVA will give the greatest bump in your situation regardless of what LSP is saying. You should be fine at Penn too and you will still have a shot at UVA if watilisted.

blehGPAgoodLSAT

New

Post by blehGPAgoodLSAT » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:38 pm

TheFactor wrote:
Moxie wrote:I think with a 170 you have a good shot with RD at Michigan and Duke, with an outside chance at UVA. I think ED would be a gamebreaker at Penn though, so if it's your #1 and you don't mind paying sticker, you have a good shot there.
OP has a shot at Duke/Michigan w/ RD, but I definitely wouldn't call it a good shot. You do, however, have a great shot at Penn, Michigan, UVA, and Duke w/ ED. If I were you, I would ED to UVA on 9/1. They promise to give you a decision in 15 days or less, so if you don't get in you can ED to your next choice of either Penn, Michigan or Duke.
How does ED work if you get waitlisted? My numbers are similar and I might do the 9/1 UVA ED but I'm worried about getting a waitlist decision and not being able to ED to another school after. The only school which has any change with my numbers and ED (I tried them all almost) is Duke so I'd like to ED there but would I be disqualified to do so if I'm still on a waitlist from a ED app to UVA?

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:44 pm

blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
Moxie wrote:I think with a 170 you have a good shot with RD at Michigan and Duke, with an outside chance at UVA. I think ED would be a gamebreaker at Penn though, so if it's your #1 and you don't mind paying sticker, you have a good shot there.
OP has a shot at Duke/Michigan w/ RD, but I definitely wouldn't call it a good shot. You do, however, have a great shot at Penn, Michigan, UVA, and Duke w/ ED. If I were you, I would ED to UVA on 9/1. They promise to give you a decision in 15 days or less, so if you don't get in you can ED to your next choice of either Penn, Michigan or Duke.
How does ED work if you get waitlisted? My numbers are similar and I might do the 9/1 UVA ED but I'm worried about getting a waitlist decision and not being able to ED to another school after. The only school which has any change with my numbers and ED (I tried them all almost) is Duke so I'd like to ED there but would I be disqualified to do so if I'm still on a waitlist from a ED app to UVA?
Waitlist releases you from your binding contract. Just remember to withdraw if accepted somewhere else Ed

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blehGPAgoodLSAT

New

Post by blehGPAgoodLSAT » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
Waitlist releases you from your binding contract. Just remember to withdraw if accepted somewhere else Ed
Thanks for the response!

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:48 am

Congrats lsp for startin drama...

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:03 am

Muenchen wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

No I agree that they're not the same and that the OPs number are better, but I think that these examples, in additon to not being able to predict what the future applicant pool will be, are close enough to OPs numbers that they should give pause to anyone saying OP will 100% get in. Maybe I'm being a little too harsh on what I see as insufficient modesty and caution in app predictions.
really dude? howd you miss these UVa ED applicants (all of whom were admitted)? The 3.22 & 3.3 profiles are likely unrepresentative of OP's chances. And it seems ok to draw from the 3.4 example, but if you look more closely at wagonwheel's results, the guy/girl was rejected from ND and WL at BC, W&M, and Minnesota..

3.52/171 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/esgukkib94
3.45/170 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kayakinglaw
3.47/170 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Xaintes
3.52/170 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/inmans

In fact, a significant proportion of those with OP's numbers got into UVa RD.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:19 am

I think Penn is a good choice. No reason not to go for the one you want, and like people said, I'm guessing you'll get something else in the T13 RD if you don't get Penn.

That said, you may want to reach out to Duke and see if you can get on their priority track. It's not binding, but they will give you a 10 day turnaround if they let you on the priority track, and you might get an answer right off the bat. If they don't take you, you'll know where you stand in re to other similar schools, and you'd still be able to ED UVa or Michigan if you want to guarantee yourself a spot at one of those schools. If you get accepted, you'll feel pretty relieved with your ED to Penn and can ride it out.

Alternatively, you can just ED Penn immediately and ignore my dumb plan. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”