170 LSAT and 3.56 GPA: Where to ED? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
grimfan

New

170 LSAT and 3.56 GPA: Where to ED?

Post by grimfan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:04 pm

With my stats, I'm looking at Penn, Michigan, Virginia, and Duke. To which one should I ED? Since they're all pretty much peers schools, is it all about personal preference at this point? Is there a school that gives ED a bigger boost than the others?

I'd also like to give NYU a shot, but I feel like I'd be wasting an ED.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: 170 LSAT and 3.56 GPA: Where to ED?

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:56 pm

M. M supposedly gives ED kids the scholarship money that they deserve, so you might not necessarily end up paying sticker.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:16 pm

I think with a 170 you have a good shot with RD at Michigan and Duke, with an outside chance at UVA. I think ED would be a gamebreaker at Penn though, so if it's your #1 and you don't mind paying sticker, you have a good shot there.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Moxie wrote:I think with a 170 you have a good shot with RD at Michigan and Duke, with an outside chance at UVA. I think ED would be a gamebreaker at Penn though, so if it's your #1 and you don't mind paying sticker, you have a good shot there.
OP has a shot at Duke/Michigan w/ RD, but I definitely wouldn't call it a good shot. You do, however, have a great shot at Penn, Michigan, UVA, and Duke w/ ED. If I were you, I would ED to UVA on 9/1. They promise to give you a decision in 15 days or less, so if you don't get in you can ED to your next choice of either Penn, Michigan or Duke.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:20 am

TheFactor wrote:OP has a shot at Duke/Michigan w/ RD, but I definitely wouldn't call it a good shot. You do, however, have a great shot at Penn, Michigan, UVA, and Duke w/ ED. If I were you, I would ED to UVA on 9/1. They promise to give you a decision in 15 days or less, so if you don't get in you can ED to your next choice of either Penn, Michigan or Duke.
I think this is TCR. Assuming Virginia is one of the higher options you would prefer, ED to UVA on the first day thay applications open up, wait for the quick turn around time, and then if you don't get it, ED to another choice (Michigan would be my suggestion). Maybe make sure to write a Why X? essay for each school also to boost your chances. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slotwide

New

Post by slotwide » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:29 am

you will 100% get UVA ED with those numbers.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:53 am

slotwide wrote:you will 100% get UVA ED with those numbers.
You trolling, bro?

You can do better than that if you want to fuck with OP.

slotwide

New

Post by slotwide » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 am

Not at all. If the OP applies on 9/1, I don't see any way that he is rejected.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:26 am

slotwide wrote:Not at all. If the OP applies on 9/1, I don't see any way that he is rejected.
You're an idiot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

slotwide

New

Post by slotwide » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:30 am

So you are telling me that ED gives you no boost whatsoever with those numbers at Virginia. That must be what you are telling me, because when you type in the exact same numbers to LSP but don't select ED to Virginia... you somehow get the exact same percentages that your entry displayed for Virginia. So either you are telling me that OP has no better chance at UVA ED than he does RD or that you are fucking retarded and don't realize that LSP is never accurate for ED applicants.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:01 pm

slotwide wrote:So you are telling me that ED gives you no boost whatsoever with those numbers at Virginia. That must be what you are telling me, because when you type in the exact same numbers to LSP but don't select ED to Virginia... you somehow get the exact same percentages that your entry displayed for Virginia. So either you are telling me that OP has no better chance at UVA ED than he does RD or that you are fucking retarded and don't realize that LSP is never accurate for ED applicants.
LOL at you not knowing how LSP works. The percentages of who is higher/lower don't change with an ED you fool, but it will change the Decision. It just didn't change it dramatically enough to get off of the Consider option. Try playing around with the ED at other schools to see the change. But good job putting words in my mouth.

ED gives you an obvious boost, especially with UVA, but to say that he will 100% get in when I can easily find people on LSN with similar numbers who EDed and got WL or dinged makes you sound like a complete jackass and is a disservice to OP. While I think EDing to UVA first is still the best option, I don't think it's a good idea to give him guarantees that you can't back up like some moron.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Do not rely only on law school predictor. My admission cycle has not reflected its predictions at all. Law school predictor is like a rough guide that gives you ball parks to focus in on.

Your numbers are high enough where you could look at this two ways. Do I want to make a lower T14 a sure thing by EDing to it or do I want to stretch my chances a bit at shoot an application ED to NYU.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:08 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Do not rely only on law school predictor. My admission cycle has not reflected its predictions at all. Law school predictor is like a rough guide that gives you ball parks to focus in on.

Your numbers are high enough where you could look at this two ways. Do I want to make a lower T14 a sure thing by EDing to it or do I want to stretch my chances a bit at shoot an application ED to NYU.
With that GPA, OP has zero chance at NYU, even with an ED. He's below both medians (and 25%iles iirc).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Muenchen wrote: ED gives you an obvious boost, especially with UVA, but to say that he will 100% get in when I can easily find people on LSN with similar numbers who EDed and got WL or dinged makes you sound like a complete jackass and is a disservice to OP. While I think EDing to UVA first is still the best option, I don't think it's a good idea to give him guarantees that you can't back up like some moron.
Honestly, I think 3.56/170 ED to UVA with an early app that isn't particularly lacking (ps, lor's, criminal record) might be pretty close to a lock. I think you need to find someone who didn't get accepted with that combination or tone down the vitriol.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Muenchen wrote: ED gives you an obvious boost, especially with UVA, but to say that he will 100% get in when I can easily find people on LSN with similar numbers who EDed and got WL or dinged makes you sound like a complete jackass and is a disservice to OP. While I think EDing to UVA first is still the best option, I don't think it's a good idea to give him guarantees that you can't back up like some moron.
Honestly, I think 3.56/170 ED to UVA with an early app that isn't particularly lacking (ps, lor's, criminal record) might be pretty close to a lock. I think you need to find someone who didn't get accepted with that combination or tone down the vitriol.
170/3.4 ED -----> WLed
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/wagonwheel

172/3.22 ED -------> Rejected
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kabuo

170/3.3 ED --------> Rejected
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/cjr52

I realize these are late EDs and I never said he wouldn't get it, just that it wasn't anything near a 100% absolute certain lock. Saying that it is derpy as fuck. OP should instantly be suspicious of such assuredness.

slotwide

New

Post by slotwide » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm aware of the point you are making, what I am saying is that LSP is not illustrative of the benefit that is given an ED applicant with those numbers that early in the cycle. This weakness of LSP is fairly well known and accepted on this board. My claim of 100% does not take into account criminal records or any other blemishes of this type. But the point of my statement is that an ED app sent in on 9/1 is most likely a lock barring a bad outside factor on the application, and this is not reflected on LSP

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:34 pm

slotwide wrote: most likely a lock

slotwide wrote:you will 100% get UVA ED with those numbers.
That's all I was saying. What I disagreed with was the second one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:43 pm

How come nobody asked OP about URM status?

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Verity wrote:How come nobody asked OP about URM status?
...is that rhetorical?

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Muenchen wrote:
...is that rhetorical?
Let's bypass the snippy bullshit and get to relevant. 19 posts and no clarification.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:51 pm

Verity wrote:
Muenchen wrote:
...is that rhetorical?
Let's bypass the snippy bullshit and get to relevant. 19 posts and no clarification.
Perhaps we should start the clarification by asking direct question to OP instead of lofty rhetorical questions directed at no one in particular?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:00 pm

TheFactor wrote:
Moxie wrote:I think with a 170 you have a good shot with RD at Michigan and Duke, with an outside chance at UVA. I think ED would be a gamebreaker at Penn though, so if it's your #1 and you don't mind paying sticker, you have a good shot there.
OP has a shot at Duke/Michigan w/ RD, but I definitely wouldn't call it a good shot. You do, however, have a great shot at Penn, Michigan, UVA, and Duke w/ ED. If I were you, I would ED to UVA on 9/1. They promise to give you a decision in 15 days or less, so if you don't get in you can ED to your next choice of either Penn, Michigan or Duke.
It's a pretty good accepted to rejected ratio at Duke and Michigan for those numbers (although definitely more WL than accepted at Duke) http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

UVA ED is known for providing good odds if done early in the cycle and with numbers above at least one median. No T14 acceptance is going to be a 100% mortal lock, but I think he has decent (50%) odds at UVA ED, and Michigan RD, with not much worse than that at Duke RD. All of this is of course assuming he applies early in the cycle.

I tend to put more faith in LSN than LSP (since it tracked my cycle more accurately), but both sources will give the OP a decent view of his chances.

If I were the OP, I'd apply ED to NYU if it were my first choice, it's not likely but maybe ED could get him a lucky break.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:16 pm

NYU ED is going to be extremely tough. The others are good targets with ED. You might be able to slide into Michigan and (maybe) Duke RD, and you stand some shot at UVA RD if you're a Virginia resident.

If you definitely want to attend a school in this group (/are not too worried about comparing scholarships with lower-ranked schools), I'd pick your top choice among MVPD and send in the ED. Good luck.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:25 pm

Muenchen you sound like a fucking idiot. If your gonna be a smartass at least know your shit.

OP if you want UVA ED there on 9/1 and there is a 99% chance your cycle will be over in less than 2 weeks. You have a good chance at MVP with ED, according to past cycles your best chance is UVA. Here is last cycle on LSN

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd

It looks like the one waitlist didn't apply till late november or dec/jan. And btw if you are URM don't ED.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:34 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Muenchen you sound like a fucking idiot. If your gonna be a smartass at least know your shit.

OP if you want UVA ED there on 9/1 and there is a 99% chance your cycle will be over in less than 2 weeks. You have a good chance at MVP with ED, according to past cycles your best chance is UVA. Here is last cycle on LSN

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd

It looks like the one waitlist didn't apply till late november or dec/jan. And btw if you are URM don't ED.
Ah yes, it's the people who offer guarantees on things like a random internet person's law school app cycle who are the real sages of these boards. How dare I try to temper expectations and call out people on their derp.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”