3.18/171

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ArtVandalay

3.18/171

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:25 am

Chances at UVA ED? Any other better options? Just trying to get into the best school that I can, money/scholarships will most likely not be make or break for my situation-no UG debt. Applying 2011-2012 cycle.

paulinaporizkova

Re: 3.18/171

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:27 am

if UVA keeps its median at 170 this year you should be good to go. apply 9/1

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks. Any shot at schools like UCLA/USC? I know they love GPAs

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:35 am

ArtVandalay wrote:Thanks. Any shot at schools like UCLA/USC? I know they love GPAs

no idea - i didn't apply there. but unless you want to work in LA for sure upon graduation UVa is the better option hands down

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:37 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
ArtVandalay wrote:Thanks. Any shot at schools like UCLA/USC? I know they love GPAs

no idea - i didn't apply there. but unless you want to work in LA for sure upon graduation UVa is the better option hands down

Yeah not for sure in LA, but have family/ties in the SoCal area. Just would almost prefer UCLA/USC to some of the schools in between them and UVA if the ED didn't work out or I applied RD. Any other opinions out there?

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:38 am

Also, any chance for scholly offers for any lower T14/UT/UCLASC? Or am I delusional and just would be lucky to even get in at any of those? Ha

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:42 am

ArtVandalay wrote:Also, any chance for scholly offers for any lower T14/UT/UCLASC? Or am I delusional and just would be lucky to even get in at any of those? Ha

First shot at money is WUSTL, although it willbe big money.

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks. Any shot ED to NU without post grad WE and only substantial internship experience?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:50 am

ArtVandalay wrote:Thanks. Any shot ED to NU without post grad WE and only substantial internship experience?

I doubt it.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:11 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:Also, any chance for scholly offers for any lower T14/UT/UCLASC? Or am I delusional and just would be lucky to even get in at any of those? Ha

UT has a pretty hard 3.4 GPA floor, so unless you're URM, I wouldn't bank on UT.

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:15 pm

spacepenguin wrote:

UT has a pretty hard 3.4 GPA floor, so unless you're URM, I wouldn't bank on UT.

Thanks. Any other well known GPA floors? How am I looking at Cornell, GULC?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:24 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:

Thanks. Any other well known GPA floors? How am I looking at Cornell, GULC?

Those two don't really have hard floors. You have a decent shot at both. Im 3.1 178 and got a regular WL at GULC and was admitted off of reserve to cornell two days ago, but I applied late. Both definitely took some with your numbers this year. I actually think you have a better chance at those schools than SC/UCLA/UT (i don't think youll get in to any of those 3 and LA is really the only one thats a possibility. Apply early.

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks. Do I have a shot at Penn/Mich? Or am I better off using my ED at UVA where I have better odds?

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:50 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:Thanks. Do I have a shot at Penn/Mich? Or am I better off using my ED at UVA where I have better odds?

ED at UVA on 9/1. They give all their ED applicants a decision in 15 days or less. If you get WL/dinged at UVA, you will still have plenty of time to get in an early ED app to Penn or Michigan.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:56 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:Thanks. Do I have a shot at Penn/Mich? Or am I better off using my ED at UVA where I have better odds?

Probably not Michigan unless there is something interesting about you. They actually seem to have a holistic process to an extent and they will accept someone with your numbers, but only with good softs. Penn seems like it would be close (they accepted a 170 3.25 and 3.27 this year) but they also didn't accept anyone no URM under 3.2 so that may be a hard floor.

http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:00 pm

splitmuch wrote:

Probably not Michigan unless there is something interesting about you. They actually seem to have a holistic process to an extent and they will accept someone with your numbers, but only with good softs. Penn seems like it would be close (they accepted a 170 3.25 and 3.27 this year) but they also didn't accept anyone no URM under 3.2 so that may be a hard floor.

Thanks. I have checked out LSN. I also still have a year of UG left, so my GPA will certaintly rise, even if by a small amount, but I predict it to be at least 3.2+ by graduation. I didn't factor this in though because I will have my apps in before 1st semester is over (although if I haven't gotten decisions yet or been WLed I will send my updated transcripts).

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:03 pm

TheFactor wrote:

ED at UVA on 9/1. They give all their ED applicants a decision in 15 days or less. If you get WL/dinged at UVA, you will still have plenty of time to get in an early ED app to Penn or Michigan.

I've thought of this too, the only problem just deciding on whether I would withdraw all hope at Penn by getting accepted ED UVA. But with my numbers I should be happy with either obviously. No overwhelming softs: Greek Executive Council, Student clubs, Intramurals, Very good summer internship experience, unique story involving my greek experience and rebuilding traditions at a large school. I did not play D-I sports in college, but was drafted for baseball out of high school if that would mean anything.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:07 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Thanks. I have checked out LSN. I also still have a year of UG left, so my GPA will certaintly rise, even if by a small amount, but I predict it to be at least 3.2+ by graduation. I didn't factor this in though because I will have my apps in before 1st semester is over (although if I haven't gotten decisions yet or been WLed I will send my updated transcripts).

If you can get your GPA up to a 3.3 in the next year, it might be worth it to wait and apply w/ that GPA (take a year off)

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:10 pm

crit_racer wrote:
ArtVandalay wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

If you can get your GPA up to a 3.3 in the next year, it might be worth it to wait and apply w/ that GPA (take a year off)

What type of difference would the 3.3 make?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:11 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:
TheFactor wrote:

I've thought of this too, the only problem just deciding on whether I would withdraw all hope at Penn by getting accepted ED UVA. But with my numbers I should be happy with either obviously. No overwhelming softs: Greek Executive Council, Student clubs, Intramurals, Very good summer internship experience, unique story involving my greek experience and rebuilding traditions at a large school. I did not play D-I sports in college, but was drafted for baseball out of high school if that would mean anything.

That is the risk you run, and if you apply ED at UVA at 9/1 you probably will get in. Of course the reverse risk is getting shut out of MVP and going to GULC/Cornell. If you do not apply ED to UVA I think its a good chance that this will happen because, while I think its possible, I don't like your odds at Penn. I guess you have to weigh how much you prefer penn to UVA and how much you prever V to G/C.

I didn't like the idea of Charlottesville so I took the risk an didn't ED to UVA and wound up with a WL, I was kicking myself until I luckily got off my NU hold because I thought I was going to be stuck with WUSTL.

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks for all the response and insight. Do you know of the differences in the job market currently between a school like UVA to GULC/Cornell? If it isn't too different I wouldn't mind taking the risk, but at the same time I'm still not sure at this point and might come to the conclusion that UVA is worth the ED (I mean it is a top 10 school with reach to NYC and DC, but not sure about other cities off the East Coast).

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:22 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:Thanks for all the response and insight. Do you know of the differences in the job market currently between a school like UVA to GULC/Cornell? If it isn't too different I wouldn't mind taking the risk, but at the same time I'm still not sure at this point and might come to the conclusion that UVA is worth the ED (I mean it is a top 10 school with reach to NYC and DC, but not sure about other cities off the East Coast).

If your goal is NYC and only NYC I don't think Cornell is much of a drop off. I don't have them handy but I remember seeing numbers recently suggesting Cornell has done pretty well into NYC big law. Of course you have to live in Ithaca for 3 years.

Return to “What are my chances?”