questions about T14 ED Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gobucky

New

questions about T14 ED

Post by gobucky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:04 am

hello all-

I have done a few searches and used lsp and lsn, but was just looking for some more opinions. When I apply to law school after the october lsat, I will have a 3.29 gpa. My gpa at my UG will be 3.93, but I have a year at a technical college that I will have to report from 6 years ago that will bring it down to 3.29. My question is what type of lsat will I need to ED to Duke, UVA, Penn, Chicago etc. Also, is there any chance an addendum would even be worth it? If i can finish my senior year with two 4.0 semesters, I will have seven straight semesters of 4.0 (I have one B from a summer physicis class).

Thanks for any help in advance

czelede

Silver

Re: questions about T14 ED

Post by czelede » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:16 am

I have about the same GPA.

I would say, regarding ED, my guess would be:

170+ for UVa
171+ for Penn
174/175+ for Chicago

Unsure about Duke since they aren't very splitter friendly.

As for an addendum, it depends on whether you had any extenuating circumstances surrounding the disastrous year of technical college that killed your GPA - is that the only that weighing your LSDAS GPA down? It must have been really low for one year of grades to bring a 3.93 down 0.7 points. If there are extenuating circumstances, certainly explain so and reiterate that your UGPA has been stellar. If there aren't (i.e. you were just young and lazy or something) then leave it, the adcomms can see your transcript so they'll know either way that your undergraduate record is great.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:27 am

i don't think chicago will happen period and i think you need a 171+ for both UVa and Penn. no idea about duke

gobucky

New

Post by gobucky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:36 am

thanks for the quick reply! My first semester at the tech was three Cs and one B. No excuses there, just young and unfocused. My second semester was two Fs and one D. That semester I had two roommates that left the house we were renting so i went to work in the construction to pay the rent. The drop/add date had passed so I didn't think I could still withdraw from my classes, so I just left school altogether. So to answer your question, no, I really don't have any extenuating circumstances. Also, I want to be careful to not sound like I am making any excuses for my past performances by writing an addendum. I was unfocused and should have worked harder, period. I have been trying to petition the school to change the second semester to W's but have been unsuccessful so far.

Is there anything else I can do to make myself competitive for Duke, Penn, Chicago, UVA, or the rest of the T14? Also, will the october lsat be too late to ED?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 am

Duke didn't take anyone below a 3.4 on LSN last cycle, even ED. They tend to be pretty GPA happy.

I would agree that 171+ for UVA and Penn (unless they managed to up their median this year). Chicago is probably not going to take your GPA, but if it is really your top choice and you wind up with a 174+, I might give it a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:39 am

gobucky wrote:thanks for the quick reply! My first semester at the tech was three Cs and one B. No excuses there, just young and unfocused. My second semester was two Fs and one D. That semester I had two roommates that left the house we were renting so i went to work in the construction to pay the rent. The drop/add date had passed so I didn't think I could still withdraw from my classes, so I just left school altogether. So to answer your question, no, I really don't have any extenuating circumstances. Also, I want to be careful to not sound like I am making any excuses for my past performances by writing an addendum. I was unfocused and should have worked harder, period. I have been trying to petition the school to change the second semester to W's but have been unsuccessful so far.

Is there anything else I can do to make myself competitive for Duke, Penn, Chicago, UVA, or the rest of the T14? Also, will the october lsat be too late to ED?
See if your old school has a petition for removal of grades from your transcript. Other posters have noted that they had success withdrawing after the fact when they never attended a class and ended up with Fs.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:51 am

Yeah, on second thought I should've amended that UVA 170 to 171.

Chicago took a handful of 3.2x/175+ splitters this cycle, so I think if you score high enough it might be worth ED-ing there since with targeted Why X essays you should get another bite in the T-10 RD.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:18 am

gobucky wrote:
1. not really, just rock the LSAT
2. october LSAT will meet any of those ED deadlines i think
3. hello fellow badger, i think?

gobucky

New

Post by gobucky » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:29 am

lol, no badger here. Minnesota actually lol. I go to Bemidji state University and our hockey team is the Beavers and our mascot is Bucky the Beaver. We actually play you guys on feb 24 and 25 so watch out for the new bucky in the conference hahaha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:30 am

gobucky wrote:lol, no badger here. Minnesota actually lol. I go to Bemidji state University and our hockey team is the Beavers and our mascot is Bucky the Beaver. We actually play you guys on feb 24 and 25 so watch out for the new bucky in the conference hahaha
aha, i'm actually from duluth but i went to UW. i used to go to german camp in bemidji

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:31 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
gobucky wrote:lol, no badger here. Minnesota actually lol. I go to Bemidji state University and our hockey team is the Beavers and our mascot is Bucky the Beaver. We actually play you guys on feb 24 and 25 so watch out for the new bucky in the conference hahaha
aha, i'm actually from duluth but i went to UW. i used to go to german camp in bemidji
Dude, Duluth? Fuck that.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:32 am

bjsesq wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Dude, Duluth? Fuck that.
you got beef?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:32 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Dude, Duluth? Fuck that.
you got beef?
With the winter wasteland of Duluth? Yeah. Dude, Brainerd is better than Duluth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:35 am

bjsesq wrote:
With the winter wasteland of Duluth? Yeah. Dude, Brainerd is better than Duluth.
yeah i love my harsh winters mixed with flat farmland and zero scenery brah. though i did love me some kavanaugh's growing up (went every summer with the fam.) where you from anyway?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:36 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
yeah i love my harsh winters mixed with flat farmland and zero scenery brah. though i did love me some kavanaugh's growing up (went every summer with the fam.) where you from anyway?
South Dakota. Not exactly god's country.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:38 am

bjsesq wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
more like "god, where the fuck am i"

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:40 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
more like "god, where the fuck am i"
Hell is tcr.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”