jf

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
almostalawyer

jf

Postby almostalawyer » Mon May 30, 2011 10:17 am

fgh
Last edited by almostalawyer on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyertobe1

Re: 3.89 GPA & qualify as URM

Postby lawyertobe1 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:41 pm

def take the October test if you feel you can prepare better for it. With such a good GPA and ~165 LSAT score, you'll have great chances in attending a t10 given your URM status. By the way, is that your LSAC GPA? I have a 3.85 GPA but it converted to a 3.8 LSAC GPA.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:42 pm

with a 150, probably no chance at the T14

mcecilia2489

Postby mcecilia2489 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:07 pm

almostalawyer wrote:Hey I have a quick question I was hoping to get some input on.. I graduated with a 3.89 GPA in a biomedical major (classes included biochemistry, molecular biology, organic chem 1&2, etc.). I am also considered a URM because I hold a tribal card with the Cherokee Indians. I am about to take the LSAT in 7 days and I just honestly haven't prepared enough for it and my current preptest scores range anywhere from a 150-160. My question is.. With my GPA, my URM status, and a LSAT score at a minimum of a 150 (let's think worst case scenario), what is the likelihood of me getting into a top 15 law school? I know that is a low LSAT score, but doesn't my high GPA offset that? Doesn't my URM status help?

I've already tried looking at LSN.com and it's hard to find anyone with a super high GPA and a bad LSAT score so it didn't really help me out.. Should I just cancel and take the october test? What do you think?

I am not sure if this helps but I am also a URM AA-female with a high GPA low LSAT 3.8/150 so very close to your numbers and these were my results.

University of Florida - In
University of Miami - In
Florida State - Waitlist
Stetson - In
University of San Francisco
Penn State - In with Scholly
University of Georgia - Waitlist
Mississippi - In with full Scholly
Washington and Lee - Waitlist
Georgia State - Denied
Georgetown - Denied

Definitely did not crack the T14 and at best made the waitlist at a T30. You would be better off studying your tail off and taking the test in October or December. October is definitely not a bad time to take it, and is in fact the most popular test to take. I will say that I did not even apply until January so it is possible that I could have had a better cycle had I applied earlier to some schools. I am very happy with my options though and I have decided to attend UF in the fall. Hope this helps and good luck on that terrible test.

almostalawyer

jj

Postby almostalawyer » Mon May 30, 2011 1:07 pm

jj
Last edited by almostalawyer on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

almostalawyer

jj

Postby almostalawyer » Mon May 30, 2011 1:10 pm

jj
Last edited by almostalawyer on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon May 30, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm not sure what the exact URM boost for NA is, but all you need to do in order to have an excellent shot at the T14 is get a 160 or higher. If you were able to do well in a class like OChem, you are easily capable of getting a 160 or higher. There's no excuse for not putting in the preparation. And if it turns out after a couple hundred hours of studying you have the ability to do really well on the LSAT (high 160s or better), well now we are talking about a shot at Harvard.

Cancel June, study hard, take October. Good luck!

mbw

Postby mbw » Mon May 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Having a tribal enrollment card is not the same as being culturally affiliated. While a few schools might look at both groups as the same, admissions departments at highly ranked schools are used to discerning between the two, especially when it comes to groups with high numbers of "enrolled, but otherwise unaffiliated" members (such as the CNO.) Plus, I've noticed a trend lately that NDNs are not getting the "bump" we used to get even just a few years ago. Even with a decent GPA, you'll probably have to be pretty close to the 25th %ile for LSAT -- unless your resume/academic record indicates more than just enrollment as a criterion for affiliation and you can show some form of disadvantaged upbringing due to being an NDN.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:16 pm

Corwin wrote:I'm not sure what the exact URM boost for NA is

I would say the boost would be on par with that of an AA.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon May 30, 2011 3:23 pm

dr123 wrote:with a 150, probably no chance at the T14

almostalawyer

jj

Postby almostalawyer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:48 am

jj

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:06 pm

almostalawyer wrote:I appreciate all of your input. I've decided to withdraw from the June LSAT and study like crazy so I can dominate the October one. I know I am capable of a high 160s if not low-mid 170 if I work hard (I've only been studying for about 2 weeks and am already scoring 150-160 with minimal studying) so it's silly of me to ruin the boost my GPA has with a low score. Thanks again everyone!

wise move my friend.

What made you forget the md school track?

lawyertobe1

Postby lawyertobe1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:55 am

almostalawyer wrote:
lawyertobe1 wrote:def take the October test if you feel you can prepare better for it. With such a good GPA and ~165 LSAT score, you'll have great chances in attending a t10 given your URM status. By the way, is that your LSAC GPA? I have a 3.85 GPA but it converted to a 3.8 LSAC GPA.

As far as I understand (from this forum and the LSAC website) LSAC alters GPAs by taking into consideration classes you have "replaced". For instance, if you took english comp 1 and bombed it (C or D) then took it a second time and got an A then, from what I understand, LSAC takes BOTH grades into consideration to tabulate your GPA. If that is the case, then I have never had to retake a class in my life. I have 4 B's on my entire transcript and everything else on it is an A. If there are other factors I am not aware of as to how LSAC tabulates your GPA please let me know because I definitely need to know if I'm wrong.

Calculate it here http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=45

I didn't repeat any class and never failed any class. My GPA still dropped -0.05 because of the -'s in my transcript.

almostalawyer

jj

Postby almostalawyer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:07 pm

jj

almostalawyer

jj

Postby almostalawyer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:09 pm

jj
Last edited by almostalawyer on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:02 pm

almostalawyer wrote:I appreciate all of your input. I've decided to withdraw from the June LSAT and study like crazy so I can dominate the October one. I know I am capable of a high 160s if not low-mid 170 if I work hard (I've only been studying for about 2 weeks and am already scoring 150-160 with minimal studying) so it's silly of me to ruin the boost my GPA has with a low score. Thanks again everyone!

This sounds great! Best of luck. No doors are closed to you with what you've got. I'm excited to see how you do :)

iamnooneelse

Postby iamnooneelse » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Great decision on waiting. You will not regret it. I am not sure how influential your URM status will be, because I'm not familiar with the effect of Native American identification on admissions, but if the pull is at least as strong as AA and you bring your scores up significantly, you should be able to take your pick of schools.

With that said, I am a URM with a very high GPA and I took the LSAT under some bad circumstances, severely underperformed my potential according to average practice scores, but didn't retake for a variety of reasons. Long story short, I thought I was going to be doomed. But my cycle went much better than expected and I was able to make some T14's. I also had good softs, great LOCIs, etc. The point of the story is that even if you do eventually fall short of your expectations on the LSAT, still try as hard as possible to get into the T14, despite the "175 or retake" consensus that you will sometimes see. If you give the schools enough of a reason to overlook the weak part of your app, an acceptance just might happen, even if the weak spot is the LSAT.

*edited for grammar
Last edited by iamnooneelse on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:47 pm

almostalawyer wrote:Hey I have a quick question I was hoping to get some input on.. I graduated with a 3.89 GPA in a biomedical major (classes included biochemistry, molecular biology, organic chem 1&2, etc.). I am also considered a URM because I hold a tribal card with the Cherokee Indians. I am about to take the LSAT in 7 days and I just honestly haven't prepared enough for it and my current preptest scores range anywhere from a 150-160. My question is.. With my GPA, my URM status, and a LSAT score at a minimum of a 150 (let's think worst case scenario), what is the likelihood of me getting into a top 15 law school? I know that is a low LSAT score, but doesn't my high GPA offset that? Doesn't my URM status help?

I've already tried looking at LSN.com and it's hard to find anyone with a super high GPA and a bad LSAT score so it didn't really help me out.. Should I just cancel and take the october test? What do you think?
With that GPA, about a 160-162 or so, and a tribal card, WUSTL will probably accept you and give a full ride.

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/pages.aspx?id=74#buder

almostalawyer

jj

Postby almostalawyer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:47 pm

jj

Return to “What are my chances?”