Speculating chances...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Shallow

Speculating chances...

Postby Shallow » Sun May 29, 2011 3:10 pm

Hey all,

This a somewhat hypothetical thread. I haven't taken the LSAT yet (that'll happen in October -- I'm studying now), but I have my cumulative UGPA calculated using the tool on Law School Predictor. The number it returned was ugly: 3.40. However, I'm relying on my personal statement (explaining medical circumstances leading to low grades in my early years) and strong upward trend to tide me over. By upward trend, I mean that once everything was resolved, I received straight A's. My GPA at the school I graduated from (transferred twice) was a 4.0.

Softs include service trips through school-sponsored programs, leadership positions, PBK (I know that's not a big deal, but everything helps), and at least part-time work throughout entire college career.

A lot of what I've read has suggested that a poor UGPA is completely damning, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it. Is this true, or just people being pessimistic? Do law schools put only marginal consideration into upward trends in conjunction with medical circumstances like those I listed above?

As far as where I'm looking to go -- obviously the higher the better. T50 for sure, with an eye on UNC (I'm a NC resident). T14 would be awesome, but after seeing what the predictor spit out I think my chances are shot. I'll never know until I try, but I'm trying to decide whether it's even worth trying.

Any input? Suggestions? Words of encouragement?

bport hopeful

Re: Speculating chances...

Postby bport hopeful » Sun May 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Your trend/Personal Statement wont do you much if any good. Rape the LSAT and go from there. Break a 165 and youll still break T30.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Speculation is pointless without a real LSAT. A good LSAT can help offset that GPA. You aren't locked out of the T50 by any means, but your PS and medical reasons won't mean a whole lot.

Mid-160's or so should get you into UNC.

Shallow

Postby Shallow » Sun May 29, 2011 3:59 pm

I appreciate the responses.

The LSAT will definitely make/break my chances, which is what I was afraid of.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Sun May 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Shallow wrote:I appreciate the responses.

The LSAT will definitely make/break my chances, which is what I was afraid of.

Don't be afraid. Use TLS and the other resources available to you to prepare for the exam. If you've done less than a couple hundred hours, you could probably still improve. Plenty of time until October if you commit to 2+ hours a day. TLS is full of threads with people who got low diagnostics and then managed to get high 160s or even better on the real thing. 170+ breaks you into the T10, so the stakes are high!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Shallow wrote:The LSAT will definitely make/break my chances, which is what I was afraid of.

Why? It's the one thing you have the most control over.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun May 29, 2011 10:24 pm

Nail the LSAT and you'll still be in decent shape for many top schools. If you're looking to stay instate, pull a 170+ and ED to Duke. Mid-160's will get you UNC.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:26 am

Shallow wrote:Hey all,

This a somewhat hypothetical thread. I haven't taken the LSAT yet (that'll happen in October -- I'm studying now), but I have my cumulative UGPA calculated using the tool on Law School Predictor. The number it returned was ugly: 3.40. However, I'm relying on my personal statement (explaining medical circumstances leading to low grades in my early years) and strong upward trend to tide me over. By upward trend, I mean that once everything was resolved, I received straight A's. My GPA at the school I graduated from (transferred twice) was a 4.0.

Softs include service trips through school-sponsored programs, leadership positions, PBK (I know that's not a big deal, but everything helps), and at least part-time work throughout entire college career.

A lot of what I've read has suggested that a poor UGPA is completely damning, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it. Is this true, or just people being pessimistic? Do law schools put only marginal consideration into upward trends in conjunction with medical circumstances like those I listed above?

As far as where I'm looking to go -- obviously the higher the better. T50 for sure, with an eye on UNC (I'm a NC resident). T14 would be awesome, but after seeing what the predictor spit out I think my chances are shot. I'll never know until I try, but I'm trying to decide whether it's even worth trying.

Any input? Suggestions? Words of encouragement?

I'm an NC resident as well planning to apply to UNC this cycle (with a LSAC GPA around yours). UNC is a more GPA oriented school, but a 3.4 doesn't put you that far below their median, so I'd have to agree with your chances being pretty good with a score in the mid 160's.

Law school predictor is a useful to play around with to figure out what LSAT you'll need to get into X school with your current GPA. They never activated the state residency feature, but it only gives you a "Consider 53%" with a 3.4 and 165; I think your chances with those numbers as an in-state resident are a good bit better.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Return to “What are my chances?”