Chances at T30 without work experience? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
miss_juris

New

Chances at T30 without work experience?

Post by miss_juris » Sat May 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Thank you for the taking the time to read my post. I have a few questions regarding my chances in the next application cycle and how I can best strengthen my application. My stats are listed below, but I wanted to mention that I have an upward GPA trend, with my last year averaging a 3.8 GPA. I'm still very concerned with my low LSAC GPA and with hardly any work experience I feel that it may completely close my options to a T30 acceptance. The good news is my LSAT score which I am very satisfied with, yet I have average/below average softs. I am a California resident and attended a school in the University of California system. Therefore, I would love to stay in California (although I heard they like high GPAs) unless a better option presented itself which I would gladly take. I am also curious if I should take a year off before applying to gain some work experience or obtain a masters which I think I would greatly benefit from. I heard however that law schools don't take master degrees into account and that law firms may look down on them, which to me seems odd - is this true?

Political Science B.S.
minor in International Studies

GPA: 3.10 (3.38) LSAT: 172
URM: NA & AA female

- 2 year scholarship athlete D1 school
- staff writer for university's newspaper
- hundreds of hours working in local soup kitchen
- habitat for humanity volunteer
- member of law school forum
- worked several weeks on Native American reservations
- 6 month long internship with District Attorney

Any advice or suggestions are more than appreciated. Thank you!

JD2014

Bronze

Re: Chances at T30 without work experience?

Post by JD2014 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:16 pm

This: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/
and this: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

are the best answers to your questions. Anything anyone tells you will be their interpretation of the data in these sites.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat May 28, 2011 1:28 pm

miss_juris wrote:I feel that it may completely close my options to a T30 acceptance.
miss_juris wrote:GPA: 3.10 (3.38) LSAT: 172
--ImageRemoved--

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sat May 28, 2011 1:38 pm

miss_juris wrote:My stats are listed below, but I wanted to mention that I have an upward GPA trend, with my last year averaging a 3.8 GPA. I'm still very concerned with my low LSAC GPA and with hardly any work experience I feel that it may completely close my options to a T30 acceptance. I am a California resident and attended a school in the University of California system. Therefore, I would love to stay in California. I am also curious if I should take a year off before applying to gain some work experience or obtain a masters which I think I would greatly benefit from. I heard however that law schools don't take master degrees into account and that law firms may look down on them, which to me seems odd - is this true?

GPA: 3.10 (3.38) LSAT: 172
1) Your GPA will not exclude you from any T30 schools. With your LSAT and URM status, I'd bet money that you'll gain multiple acceptances at T14 schools. Stanford is probably a no-go with your GPA, but you might have a chance at Berkeley. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com for more information on your chances.

2) Is 3.1 or 3.38 your LSDAS GPA? This will make a difference in your acceptance chances.

3) Take a year off for work or a masters if you want to, it might not be a big benefit in getting to LS, but it'll give you something to talk about when interviewing with firms (and work experience seems to provide a small boost to job interviewing prospects)

4) I've never heard that "law firms may look down on masters degrees", and have no idea where you would get that idea.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Sat May 28, 2011 1:43 pm

You're into several T14 schools with that LSAT and URM. Nice job!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

miss_juris

New

Post by miss_juris » Sat May 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. Unfortunately 3.1 is my LSDAS GPA and the 3.38 is my university GPA. I read several posts with people having outstanding numbers (4.06 GPA) and went into panic mode. Wish I could take back those earlier years.
Moxie wrote: 4) I've never heard that "law firms may look down on masters degrees", and have no idea where you would get that idea.
Someone had mentioned it in law forum that law firms may not take individuals with a masters because they may be more focused or career driven by their masters than by their JD. I think it sounds ridiculous as well - I always thought the more education the better.

chicubs88

New

Post by chicubs88 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:16 pm

A 3.1 and 172 are nothing to be ashamed of. Those numbers will easily get you into a T30 with scholly money. Now factor in the fact that you are URM, and you are sitting in a position that many law school applicants would kill for. The 3.1 is not great, but any damage it does to your profile is more than negated by the 172 and URM. Never underestimate the power of URM status.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun May 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Enjoy T10 w/ $$$

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun May 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Agree that your URM status combined with a 172 LSAT score will get you Top 10 offers with money.

Masters degrees are valued by law school admissions offices, but graduate GPAs are not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun May 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Stop freaking out. You're fine. And
TheFactor wrote:Enjoy T10 w/ $$$

CoriOlivia

New

Post by CoriOlivia » Sun May 29, 2011 2:09 pm

Do you really think the 172 lsat and URM status make up for the 3.1? I will have similar numbers and can't imagine t10 (even at sticker) with such a low GPA.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun May 29, 2011 2:29 pm

Yes, even if the low GPA is in "remedial studies" from an on-line school that permits students to grade their own work.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun May 29, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Sun May 29, 2011 2:30 pm

CoriOlivia wrote:
Do you really think the 172 lsat and URM status make up for the 3.1? I will have similar numbers and can't imagine t10 (even at sticker) with such a low GPA.
Non-urms get into NU (with WE) and UVa ED with those numbers. URMs get in RD (sometimes with money) at those numbers. See this RD with $ at UVa: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/aspire2more and this EA at Cornell: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/coopertemplegrl

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun May 29, 2011 4:34 pm

CoriOlivia wrote:
Do you really think the 172 lsat and URM status make up for the 3.1?
Yes

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”