3.86/170, should I get internship before law school? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
swzhai

New

3.86/170, should I get internship before law school?

Post by swzhai » Wed May 25, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a Biology/Chinese double major, and also an agency signed actor and model at UW-Madison. Initially, I was on the medical track but made a late decision. Now I'm wondering what my chances are at a T14 preferably Harvard, Stanford, NYU. I have a lot of volunteering on my resume, earned a lot of fellowships as a research scientist + a publication, but now I realize that it probably isn't very beneficial for law school because they are mostly medical related. I've heard of people getting summer internships, and I have an opportunity to internship at Morrison Foerster in Shanghai, China. I was wondering how beneficial this would be to my overall application. Also, does anyone have experience on how my majors might change the dynamics on how admissions views my application.

Thanks very much,

SZ
Last edited by swzhai on Wed May 25, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Re: 3.86/170, should I get internship before law school?

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed May 25, 2011 7:21 pm

waddup fellow badger

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed May 25, 2011 8:04 pm

Sounds like a great opportunity. You should take it just for the experience. Your internships and majors won't really affect admissions, though. And you're certainly not at a disadvantage having been pre-med. People do all kinds of non-legal related careers/majors before law school.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:07 pm

i call troll.

swzhai

New

Post by swzhai » Wed May 25, 2011 8:21 pm

cinephile wrote:Sounds like a great opportunity. You should take it just for the experience. Your internships and majors won't really affect admissions, though. And you're certainly not at a disadvantage having been pre-med. People do all kinds of non-legal related careers/majors before law school.
Thanks, I guess I just figured it might be a waste of time considering I have zero experience with law and I'd just end up doing some silly paper work or bringing people coffee for half a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swzhai

New

Post by swzhai » Wed May 25, 2011 8:25 pm

glitter178 wrote:i call troll.
lol I was a lurker for a long time and now that I finally signed up I'm a troll. whateves :twisted:

AFS

New

Post by AFS » Thu May 26, 2011 12:35 am

In the chance that you're not a troll, you're looking good for schools in the bottom half of T14. Your GPA is a little on the low side for the schools you mentioned, though, so you'll likely have more difficulty getting into those.

swzhai

New

Post by swzhai » Thu May 26, 2011 2:36 am

AFS wrote:In the chance that you're not a troll, you're looking good for schools in the bottom half of T14. Your GPA is a little on the low side for the schools you mentioned, though, so you'll likely have more difficulty getting into those.
Thanks, ill have to bring up my gpa in my last two semesters. Was hoping a more difficult major would help my app but maybe not so much.

8ballistic

New

Post by 8ballistic » Thu May 26, 2011 4:43 am

Of course he's looking good, he's an agency signed actor and model. He'd not only be good-looking for the bottom half of T-14, he'd probably be good-looking for T2 schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legaleagle9

New

Post by legaleagle9 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:02 am

AFS wrote:In the chance that you're not a troll, you're looking good for schools in the bottom half of T14. Your GPA is a little on the low side for the schools you mentioned, though, so you'll likely have more difficulty getting into those.
wait, how is OP's 3.86 gpa, which is NYU's 75th percentile, a little low for NYU?

im not arguing, im just curious

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:34 pm

legaleagle9 wrote:
wait, how is OP's 3.86 gpa, which is NYU's 75th percentile, a little low for NYU?

im not arguing, im just curious
think he's referring more to Harvard and Stanford

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Thu May 26, 2011 3:51 pm

The only way in which such an internship will benefit your application is if you get a stronger LOR from someone there than what you already have. The extra bullet on the resume doesn't help that much. Also realize that once in law school you will find the connections you make at your internship useful as well, as thy can potentially make your L2 summer internship search easier.

Another random bit of advice. Is that 170 on the first try? How much prep did you do? You have good chances at the bottom of the T14. To break into the top you'll need a 172+.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu May 26, 2011 5:34 pm

swzhai wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a Biology/Chinese double major, and also an agency signed actor and model at UW-Madison. Initially, I was on the medical track but made a late decision. Now I'm wondering what my chances are at a T14 preferably Harvard, Stanford, NYU. I have a lot of volunteering on my resume, earned a lot of fellowships as a research scientist + a publication, but now I realize that it probably isn't very beneficial for law school because they are mostly medical related. I've heard of people getting summer internships, and I have an opportunity to internship at Morrison Foerster in Shanghai, China. I was wondering how beneficial this would be to my overall application. Also, does anyone have experience on how my majors might change the dynamics on how admissions views my application.

Thanks very much,

SZ
Dude, MoFo internship, do it up. If you speak Chinese MoFo will eat you alive at OCI. Or such is my impression.

Also retake.

swzhai

New

Post by swzhai » Fri May 27, 2011 12:59 pm

First try yeah prepped for couple months,
but certainly could have done more. I took the MCAT before the LSAT and was burned out. Maybe I'll try to retake, worried about a fluke that I do worse though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”