My chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thebilt05

My chances

Postby thebilt05 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:37 pm

Im 24 yrs old traditional student graduated Ug with 2.3GPA
Currently enrolled in grad school just finished first semester with 3.5GPA
From Louisiana planning on applying to
Loyola(New Orleans)
LSU
Tulane
Southern University
U of Houston
Texas Southern

Applying for Fall 2012

Taking LSAT in Oct and Dec, what do you think I need to make on it and do you think the admissions will takin into consideration grad school GPA.

Lawquacious

Re: My chances

Postby Lawquacious » Tue May 24, 2011 10:48 pm

thebilt05 wrote:Im 24 yrs old traditional student graduated Ug with 2.3GPA
Currently enrolled in grad school just finished first semester with 3.5GPA
From Louisiana planning on applying to
Loyola(New Orleans)
LSU
Tulane
Southern University
U of Houston
Texas Southern

Applying for Fall 2012

Taking LSAT in Oct and Dec, what do you think I need to make on it and do you think the admissions will takin into consideration grad school GPA.

You're in very rough territory with that UGPA of 2.3, and unfortunately law admissions only considers that (in terms of your hard stats) rather than your grad GPA. But at least the grad GPA will show that you are capable of performing much better, so in that sense I think it could help a little bit. But there will likely be many schools that will ding you outright because of your GPA, regardless of whether or not you kill the LSAT (I think many schools seem to have GPA floors of 3.0). However, there are "splitter-friendly" schools out there, some of them fairly highly-ranked, that will take people with very low GPAs if there is a strong LSAT to go with it. I would research splitter-friendly schools (maybe search "splitter" + "[fill in school name]" on this site's search box to see how splitters tend to do at the schools you are looking at). You can also look at the graphs on Law School Numbers website to see how you might fare (though beware- many of the outlier acceptances are URM status). If you can hit 160, there will be a bunch of TTT type schools that will prob take you IMO; 165 and you might get lucky with a bunch of T2 and maybe even a couple in T1; 170+ and you'll prob get a bunch in T2 to choose from and a few in T1 (maybe with a little money in some cases)-- IF you apply smart (to splitter-friendly schools).

thebilt05

Postby thebilt05 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks a bunch for the advise I will do my research for splitter friendly schools. I am a URM i dont know if that makes a difference.... but good looking out on the advise

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed May 25, 2011 12:42 am

thebilt05 wrote:Thanks a bunch for the advise I will do my research for splitter friendly schools. I am a URM i dont know if that makes a difference.... but good looking out on the advise

No prob. If you are URM then you should probably be aiming for some lower T1 schools (and T2 schools) if you can hit 160+, T20-T50 schools if you can hit 165+, and maybe even T10-T30 if you can hit 170+. But that is a pretty rough estimate and may not hold true. In addition to focusing on splitter-friendly schools I would now also do serious research on the admissions boost that particular URM groups get. There are four specific groups that I think get the boost: African American, Native American, Mexican American, and Puerto Rican. And they don't all get an equal boost as far as I know. You might want to double-check on that too though- I could be wrong (about who can qualify etc). But it sounds like you have already determined you will qualify as URM, which is good. Normally the URM boost helps more for someone who is a "reverse splitter" in that the LSAT is relatively weaker for that person than the GPA (in which case I think the boost can do wonders in some cases). With your GPA you could still have a rough cycle IMO, even with some URM boost. But perhaps it would be more like applying as a 165/3.0 non-URM (if you hit 165 on the LSAT for example) rather than a 165/2.3. The boost may be stronger or weaker than that though, IDK. I recommend you do a lot of research. Good luck!

thebilt05

Postby thebilt05 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:06 am

Yeah i will do some research because I am a African American male ... IDK I hope tulane or loyola are the ones who accept me those are my top two choices and then U of H is my third with Texas Southern next and Southern Being my last option. Even though I attend Southern for grad school currently I see things are ran over there and it is horrific. And living in Louisiana coming from Southern law Center is really a bad rep most of the African American lawyers around here ... now Southern alums may draw better luck in other states ... but it is really hard to land a good job being an URM coming from SULC

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:30 am

Lawquacious wrote:maybe even T10 if you can hit 170+

AA or not, no T10 is going to take a 2.3. Can't see NU ED w/WE happening either or the entire T14 for that matter. The highest ranked school you can get with a 170+ is WUSTL or Jeedub.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Wed May 25, 2011 4:31 pm

170+ even for Tulane or Houston.

Return to “What are my chances?”