3.25 GPA, 168 LSAT. What schools should I target?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Badgers2012

3.25 GPA, 168 LSAT. What schools should I target?

Postby Badgers2012 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Hey, those are my numbers and I am relatively new to how all of this works and certain inside information about schools. I have a chance still to up my gpa to the range of just at 3.3 or just under if that matters. I attend an upper level public college and was in a top 15 business school. I have no full-time WE, but had 3 very good summer internships at a Fortune 20 company and very good LORs.

I was hoping to hear some advice on which school to apply to this fall, and what my chances of admission/scholarships would be. Location of schools is not super important, strongly considering somewhere with Midwest ties. Thanks!

dpk711

Re: 3.25 GPA, 168 LSAT. What schools should I target?

Postby dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:03 am

In the T20, the only three schools i see happening are WUSTL, Minnesota, and Jeedub. Is retaking an option? Even if you get 2 points higher an ED to UVA would be possible. But WUSTL I guess is a decent option for the Midwest.

Badgers2012

Postby Badgers2012 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:12 am

dpk711 wrote:In the T20, the only three schools i see happening are WUSTL, Minnesota, and Jeedub. Is retaking an option? Even if you get 2 points higher an ED to UVA would be possible. But WUSTL I guess is a decent option for the Midwest.

Thanks, I've seen you respond to a lot of other posts on here, not sure if WUSTL is looked at as a backup plan to most but I would be very happy with that. I'm not sure if people usually say what schools they went to but I am a student of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, with some pretty good softs in addition to my internships. How close are schools like Illinois, Indiana, Iowa to Minnesota? And would I have any shot at a school like USC, Georgetown, UCLA, Duke (ranked just below UVA in the new rankings, but not sure about their "splitter" friendliness)?

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon May 23, 2011 12:17 am

IMO UIUC/WashU/ND/Minn are on a mini-tier higher than IUB/Iowa/UGA, etc...at least in terms of selectivity.

i'd say no shot at gtown, usc, duke because of the GPA problem.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:18 am

Badgers2012 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:In the T20, the only three schools i see happening are WUSTL, Minnesota, and Jeedub. Is retaking an option? Even if you get 2 points higher an ED to UVA would be possible. But WUSTL I guess is a decent option for the Midwest.

Thanks, I've seen you respond to a lot of other posts on here, not sure if WUSTL is looked at as a backup plan to most but I would be very happy with that. I'm not sure if people usually say what schools they went to but I am a student of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, with some pretty good softs in addition to my internships. How close are schools like Illinois, Indiana, Iowa to Minnesota? And would I have any shot at a school like USC, Georgetown, UCLA, Duke (ranked just below UVA in the new rankings, but not sure about their "splitter" friendliness)?

Generally speaking "softs" don't really matter unless you won a nobel prize or were a president of Botswana or something like that. Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, and Minnesota are pretty good schools given that you want to stay in the Midwest. As for USC, UCLA, and Duke, they have pretty strict GPA floors so I don't see them happening unless you got a score in the mid to high 170s -- for Duke I don't see it happening unless you have a GPA of over 3.4. Assuming you end up with a 3.3, if you crack the 170s UVA ED is a good bet and you have a solid chance at GULC RD, Michigan ED and Penn ED wouldn't be out of the question either. If you can get a high-170, I can see CCN happening (especially N).

ebo

Postby ebo » Mon May 23, 2011 12:20 am

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

UVA and Duke are out with a 168, unless you're a URM. GPA won't matter much now, as you're already in the bottom 25% for any schools you're interested in. If you want a shot at the bottom of the T14 you need to retake and get a 170+

Badgers2012

Postby Badgers2012 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:34 am

Generally speaking "softs" don't really matter unless you won a nobel prize or were a president of Botswana or something like that. Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, and Minnesota are pretty good schools given that you want to stay in the Midwest. As for USC, UCLA, and Duke, they have pretty strict GPA floors so I don't see them happening unless you got a score in the mid to high 170s -- for Duke I don't see it happening unless you have a GPA of over 3.4. Assuming you end up with a 3.3, if you crack the 170s UVA ED is a good bet and you have a solid chance at GULC RD, Michigan ED and Penn ED wouldn't be out of the question either. If you can get a high-170, I can see CCN happening (especially N).[/quote]

Would a 170 LSAT score give me a reasonable shot at Penn ED/UVA ED?/ GULC RD/Mich ED? And if you don't mind could you rank those by my chances of getting accepted from Hardest to easiest?

I have used things like the law school predictor tool and looked through Law School Numbers a little bit, so I do have some information on this but not past just what those websites say and what I get from rankings with their respective ranges. Also, any insight into the program at Notre Dame? Thanks again.

Return to “What are my chances?”