Broad GPA/LSAT question.......

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
crabs29
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Broad GPA/LSAT question.......

Postby crabs29 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Alright...before I start I know this is not going to be the easiest question to answer and I hope some of you can shed a little light for me.

Right now I'm looking at having a 3.0-3.2 undergrad GPA by the time my applications are sent in for law school. This is coming from one of the toughest universities in the south (which is the region i plan to practice in). I know some of you say that the difficuly of the school does not play a huge factor but I know that it does play some type of beneficial factor, especially when it is high in the national rankings. Here is some other information to play around with:

Majors: Political Science (emphasis on american government/public law) and Economics
Minor: Business
Varsity Football - 4 year starter (probably the statistic that will matter the least....sigh), Academic and Athletic all conferences
Investment club and other typical extracurricular activities involving my concentrations
Legal internship at District Attorney's office
Upper-middle class white male
Once scored 28 points in an intramural basketball playoff game. My best 'soft'


Now to the reason for this topic. What LSAT scores should I be trying to achieve for admission to T1 schools/Top14 schools?

I have started early in my preparation for the testing and have a while before my first LSAT. Advice wanted please.
Last edited by crabs29 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Broad GPA/LSAT question.......

Postby Kabuo » Sun May 22, 2011 10:33 pm

You're going to want 165+ for a sure shot at T1 and 172+ for T14. I feel for you as a GPA twin and just want to remind you that even if you go 175+, you're going to still need to apply as early as possible if you want a T14.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Broad GPA/LSAT question.......

Postby dr123 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:38 pm

crabs29 wrote:Alright...before I start I know this is not going to be the easiest question to answer and I hope some of you can shed a little light for me.

Right now I'm looking at having a 3.0-3.2 undergrad GPA by the time my applications are sent in for law school. This is coming from one of the toughest universities in the south (which is the region i plan to practice in). I know some of you say that the difficult of the school does not play a huge factor but I know that it does play some type of beneficial factor, especially when it is high in the national rankings. Here is some other information to play around with:

Majors: Political Science (emphasis on american government/public law) and Economics
Minor: Business
Varsity Football - 4 year starter (probably the statistic that will matter the least....sigh), Academic and Athletic all conferences
Investment club and other typical extracurricular activities involving my concentrations
Legal internship at District Attorney's office
Upper-middle class white male
Once scored 28 points in an intramural basketball playoff game. My best 'soft'


Now to the reason for this topic. What LSAT scores should I be trying to achieve for admission to T1 schools/Top14 schools?

I have started early in my preparation for the testing and have a while before my first LSAT. Advice wanted please.


Wut?

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: Broad GPA/LSAT question.......

Postby MoS » Sun May 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Your best soft is playing varsity football, not something else. And it is actually a decent soft. Though, I am curious how a 3.0-3.2 lands you on an all conference academic team, that's pretty weak. You are right that adcomms will probably not care too much about your school's reputation. It's just a fact of life. They will note it though.

As far as LSAT for tier 1 (I assume you mean top 50) 164+

For T14, I am not sure but my guess would be 170+ maybe 173+

crabs29
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Broad GPA/LSAT question.......

Postby crabs29 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:42 pm

dr123 wrote:
crabs29 wrote:Alright...before I start I know this is not going to be the easiest question to answer and I hope some of you can shed a little light for me.

Right now I'm looking at having a 3.0-3.2 undergrad GPA by the time my applications are sent in for law school. This is coming from one of the toughest universities in the south (which is the region i plan to practice in). I know some of you say that the difficult of the school does not play a huge factor but I know that it does play some type of beneficial factor, especially when it is high in the national rankings. Here is some other information to play around with:

Majors: Political Science (emphasis on american government/public law) and Economics
Minor: Business
Varsity Football - 4 year starter (probably the statistic that will matter the least....sigh), Academic and Athletic all conferences
Investment club and other typical extracurricular activities involving my concentrations
Legal internship at District Attorney's office
Upper-middle class white male
Once scored 28 points in an intramural basketball playoff game. My best 'soft'


Now to the reason for this topic. What LSAT scores should I be trying to achieve for admission to T1 schools/Top14 schools?

I have started early in my preparation for the testing and have a while before my first LSAT. Advice wanted please.


Wut?


It was a joke. Thought that was self-explanatory.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Broad GPA/LSAT question.......

Postby AreJay711 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Idk about at your school, which I'll imagine to be something like The Citadel, but football players at my school with any semblance of intelligence were always able to get set up with a pretty sweet job (which makes sense because it shows dedication). If that is at all the case, a few years working might really help you with how schools look at that gpa.

crabs29
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Broad GPA/LSAT question.......

Postby crabs29 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:47 pm

MoS wrote:Your best soft is playing varsity football, not something else. And it is actually a decent soft. Though, I am curious how a 3.0-3.2 lands you on an all conference academic team, that's pretty weak. You are right that adcomms will probably not care too much about your school's reputation. It's just a fact of life. They will note it though.

As far as LSAT for tier 1 (I assume you mean top 50) 164+

For T14, I am not sure but my guess would be 170+ maybe 173+


For some weird reason I tend to do better GPA-wise while I'm in season. Also factoring in I take tougher courses in the spring considering that I have more time for my studies. The academic all-conference is selected by how one does only during the semester of their sport. This is really not that big of a factor though. Thank you for your advice.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Broad GPA/LSAT question.......

Postby Corwin » Mon May 23, 2011 12:59 am

You'll need a 170-172+ to crack T14, depending on where you fall in the 3.0-3.2 range. Sorry dude, join the engineers in lamenting your GPA. :P Athletes get screwed just as bad.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bob loblaw law blog and 5 guests