2.55 ug gpa - Chances *anywhere*? 168 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
spliTTTerdood

New

Re: 2.55 ug gpa - Chances *anywhere*? 168 LSAT

Post by spliTTTerdood » Mon May 23, 2011 6:40 pm

superflush wrote:
Verity wrote:WUSTL, IU-B, UMN, UIUC. Those are you best choices, and you'll get at least 3 out of 4.
This is a good start.

Regarding taking a year off (if you are a senior in college this fall): this is probably a really good idea.
However, you may want to apply for this upcoming cycle as well, and see what you get.
If you happen to get big money from one of these schools, maybe you won't want to wait a year.
What specific LSAT/GPA combination a given school gives big money to can change drastically from year to year.
Luckily, I have very little undergrad debt. So, while I'm well aware that debt minimization is a good thing (I turned down higher ranked schools than my current one so I'd save big bucks), I'd be willing to take on debt if accepted if it meant not needing to wait. I'm quite anxious to get the whole process over with and it really hasn't even begun.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon May 23, 2011 6:43 pm

What I'm saying is that if you get a good acceptance that you are happy with (especially with money), then there would be no need to roll the dice again.

spliTTTerdood

New

Post by spliTTTerdood » Mon May 23, 2011 6:46 pm

superflush wrote:What I'm saying is that if you get a good acceptance that you are happy with (especially with money), then there would be no need to roll the dice again.
Agreed. How much of a difference do you think an on-campus visit will make in the school's decision? Would it be better to go before I send my application or after? Thanks

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon May 23, 2011 6:54 pm

spliTTTerdood wrote:Agreed. How much of a difference do you think an on-campus visit will make in the school's decision?
It shows interest.

spliTTTerdood wrote:Would it be better to go before I send my application or after? Thanks
Whatever is more convenient. Keep in mind that some/most schools will have ASWs for admitted students.
But don't stop that from visiting before you are admitted if it is convenient enough for you to visit.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon May 23, 2011 7:01 pm

SMU is a school probably worth applying to. Their placement is on par with or better than the t30 midwest schools. I think 3.0ish splitters can get 20k or so there. Not sure about someone with a 2.5 though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spliTTTerdood

New

Post by spliTTTerdood » Mon May 23, 2011 7:05 pm

superflush wrote:
spliTTTerdood wrote:Agreed. How much of a difference do you think an on-campus visit will make in the school's decision?
It shows interest.

spliTTTerdood wrote:Would it be better to go before I send my application or after? Thanks
Whatever is more convenient. Keep in mind that some/most schools will have ASWs for admitted students.
But don't stop that from visiting before you are admitted if it is convenient enough for you to visit.
Yeah, I'd like to signal that if admitted I'll attend. I'm sure that comes across better in person (rather than say, a letter that looks like all the others they get).

spliTTTerdood

New

Post by spliTTTerdood » Mon May 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:SMU is a school probably worth applying to. Their placement is on par with or better than the t30 midwest schools. I think 3.0ish splitters can get 20k or so there. Not sure about someone with a 2.5 though.
Dallas is a cool city but I'm not sure I believe in their mobility. Worth using as leverage at least (if I could get $).

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Take a gap year, work in a law office if at all possible.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon May 23, 2011 7:55 pm

spliTTTerdood wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:SMU is a school probably worth applying to. Their placement is on par with or better than the t30 midwest schools. I think 3.0ish splitters can get 20k or so there. Not sure about someone with a 2.5 though.
Dallas is a cool city but I'm not sure I believe in their mobility. Worth using as leverage at least (if I could get $).
Nowhere you can get accepted is really going to give you much mobility. You probably need to focus on going to school somewhere you'd be cool with working.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oldguy6543

New

Post by oldguy6543 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:13 pm

Getting A's in high school with ease; not knowing how to study. Free flowing alcohol. Drugs. Engineering major (eventually switching to challenging liberal arts program combined with natural science). Nothing addendum worthy.[/quote]

Amen brother. I'm in the exact same boat. I was an Engineering major once upon a time. Partying frequently isn't conducive to high GPAs in Engineering. Most people have no clue how difficult it is taking ALL hard classes in undergrad, especially in science and technology. Taking Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, etc when you're 18 and being exposed to freedom for the first time was troublesome for me. People that look down their noses at less than stellar GPAs are lame. Engineering is the hardest undergraduate major there is period IMHO. Anything in liberal arts is a pure cakewalk in comparison.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:22 pm

oldguy6543 wrote:
Amen brother. I'm in the exact same boat. I was an Engineering major once upon a time. Partying frequently isn't conducive to high GPAs in Engineering. Most people have no clue how difficult it is taking ALL hard classes in undergrad, especially in science and technology. Taking Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, etc when you're 18 and being exposed to freedom for the first time was troublesome for me. People that look down their noses at less than stellar GPAs are lame. Engineering is the hardest undergraduate major there is period IMHO. Anything in liberal arts is a pure cakewalk in comparison.
Yea you can't really slack in engineering, or you do poorly. Law school is much easier.

spliTTTerdood

New

Post by spliTTTerdood » Wed May 25, 2011 3:35 pm

So my strongest push should be made toward WUSTL? I can live with that. :-)

Can other WUSTL people (or any WUSTL admitted) share specific anecdotes about the admissions office and what they really look for in an application? I'd like to tailor my application to them.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 pm

spliTTTerdood wrote:So my strongest push should be made toward WUSTL? I can live with that. :-)

Can other WUSTL people (or any WUSTL admitted) share specific anecdotes about the admissions office and what they really look for in an application? I'd like to tailor my application to them.
WUSTL tends to look for interesting PEOPLE. The vast majority of people that you talk to have done something that's pretty cool with their life (as in you don't see many people that are JUST numbers). WUSTL also cares about those people. The staff are extremely supportive and are always there for you. This even extends to professors. The feel is more than collegiate. They actually care. And yes, law school is competitive, but WUSTL students are actually there for each other. They have no qualms about helping each other out. They realize we are all going to be each others' best resources in the future so your classmates success is indirectly your own success.

In short, you really need to give WUSTL a feel for who you are as a person. Something generic is not going to catch anyone's eye. Get very personal and intimate. I hope this helps somewhat. You LSAT at 168-170 would be pretty good if you do well your last year and you put together a great application package. Just remember it's a package, not separate essays. You're telling a story with that application.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”