2.9/174 - non-URM, any shot? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lolwatt

New

2.9/174 - non-URM, any shot?

Post by lolwatt » Sat May 21, 2011 3:03 pm

2.9 gpa/174, non-URM, majoring in accounting/finance, have worked as an auditor to a premiere company and accounting consultant to underprivileged community-run loan organizations across college's city, no "internships" per se as i've never held the title of intern, but i'd argue that the jobs I've held are pretty significant. granted significant scholarships to my current college including a national merit scholarship, but obviously didn't live up to expectations due to extreme discouragement that i felt all throughout college (doubtful any law school would be sympathetic). LORs could be an issue as a result.

chance me at:

Georgetown (ED/PT?)
GW
UVA
WashU
BC
BU
Emory
Temple

dpk711

Silver

Re: 2.9/174 - non-URM, any shot?

Post by dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Georgetown (ED/PT?) - WL (GULC will soon change their policy for PT admissions)
GW - In
UVA - WL RD
WashU - In
BC - WL
BU - WL
Emory - In
Temple - In

There is no reason to ED to GULC, I suggest that you ED to UVA as soon as apps open and you have a decent shot.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sat May 21, 2011 3:13 pm

you seem like a prime candidate for Northwestern

lolwatt

New

Post by lolwatt » Sat May 21, 2011 3:17 pm

f0bolous wrote:you seem like a prime candidate for Northwestern
thanks, i had been strongly considering them. i was looking around for more schools with a history of accepting splitters like me.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:25 pm

f0bolous wrote:you seem like a prime candidate for Northwestern
+1 enjoy chicago

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat May 21, 2011 4:15 pm

You're probably not gonna get ED UVA with a 2.9. ED NW and enjoy Chi.

Curry

Post by Curry » Sat May 21, 2011 4:17 pm

rad law wrote:You're probably not gonna get ED UVA with a 2.9. ED NW and enjoy Chi.
With the 174, I think theres a good chance OP does get UCA actually.

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd

Looks like its 50-50 throughout the years.
Last edited by Curry on Sat May 21, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Sat May 21, 2011 4:18 pm

dpk711 wrote:Georgetown (ED/PT?) - WL (GULC will soon change their policy for PT admissions)
GW - In
UVA - WL RD
WashU - In
BC - WL
BU - WL
Emory - In
Temple - In

There is no reason to ED to GULC, I suggest that you ED to UVA as soon as apps open and you have a decent shot.
Doesn't UVA have a hard 3.0 floor for ED splitters?

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:22 pm

OP, disregard what I said about UVA ED. I completely forgot about the 3.0 floor. The posters above me are right, you should ED to NU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lolwatt

New

Post by lolwatt » Sat May 21, 2011 4:35 pm

the only reason i'm concerned about NU is that the people who seem to be succeeding with my scores have been out of academia for several years, with significant work experience filled in between. i'm graduating in '12, and the jobs that i've held were full time but only seasonal (although the consulting position is for as long as i want). is this enough to satisfy NU's commitment to filling classes full of students with tons of experience?

also, i'm aware of GW's free-tuition ED policy. is that limited to only their best applicants?

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Sat May 21, 2011 4:39 pm

lolwatt wrote:the only reason i'm concerned about NU is that the people who seem to be succeeding with my scores have been out of academia for several years, with significant work experience filled in between. i'm graduating in '12, and the jobs that i've held were full time but only seasonal (although the consulting position is for as long as i want). is this enough to satisfy NU's commitment to filling classes full of students with tons of experience?

also, i'm aware of GW's free-tuition ED policy. is that limited to only their best applicants?
It's true that NU will be more difficult w/o a lot of WE, but you do still have a chance at ED with your numbers. Also since you are graduating in '12, do whatever you can to get your GPA above 3.0. If you do, ED at UVa is back on the table. Are you not done with undergrad yet? Was your fulltime work through a co-op program?

GW's ED scholly only goes to extremely competitive applicants (high GPA and LSAT). You'll find in general it is difficult to get money as a splitter at top schools until it's at a place like WUSTL.

lolwatt

New

Post by lolwatt » Sat May 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Corwin wrote:
lolwatt wrote:the only reason i'm concerned about NU is that the people who seem to be succeeding with my scores have been out of academia for several years, with significant work experience filled in between. i'm graduating in '12, and the jobs that i've held were full time but only seasonal (although the consulting position is for as long as i want). is this enough to satisfy NU's commitment to filling classes full of students with tons of experience?

It's true that NU will be more difficult w/o a lot of WE, but you do still have a chance at ED with your numbers. Also since you are graduating in '12, do whatever you can to get your GPA above 3.0. If you do, ED at UVa is back on the table. Are you not done with undergrad yet? Was your fulltime work through a co-op program?

GW's ED scholly only goes to extremely competitive applicants (high GPA and LSAT). You'll find in general it is difficult to get money as a splitter at top schools until it's at a place like WUSTL.
I'm a rising senior, the college I go to doesn't have a co-op program, so the jobs that I've had I've gotten through my own initiative or the career services department shot me a tip. I've worked full time during the summer, since I'm having class the rest of the time, and my current job is part-time: I'm able to work whatever hours I have the time to do so.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Sat May 21, 2011 6:04 pm

lolwatt wrote: I'm a rising senior, the college I go to doesn't have a co-op program, so the jobs that I've had I've gotten through my own initiative or the career services department shot me a tip. I've worked full time during the summer, since I'm having class the rest of the time, and my current job is part-time: I'm able to work whatever hours I have the time to do so.
Ok, so you've had some good internships but no real WE. TBH then your should definitely get your GPA above 3.0 and ED to UVa. It doesn't matter whether it's easy classes or even classes from a CC.

lolwatt

New

Post by lolwatt » Sat May 21, 2011 7:55 pm

They weren't internships technically, my title was auditor and consultant respectively. These were jobs that were willing to give hefty responsibilities to college students and that was exactly what I wanted out of any job that I was going to take.

I'm planning on applying at the beginning of the cycle, and my summer schedule is full to the extent that I can't take up enough courses (which would be about 3) to get As in to bring my GPA above a 3.0 before the cycle begins. Should I wait until my first semester senior year concludes and I (hopefully) have above a 3.0? Or should I continue with my plan to apply ASAP?

Is NU out of the question because my WE isn't in a perfectly desirable form?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”