3.87/171 @ HYP for Stanford!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NorbertElias

3.87/171 @ HYP for Stanford!

Postby NorbertElias » Fri May 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Stats: 3.87/171, Political Science-Anthro major at a top Ivy (HYP). Strong upward trend in grades (thought I was gonna go do Math-Physics my freshman year...) Entering senior year, potential to bump GPA to 3.9 by January 2012.

Softs: Strong leadership (President of Student Association; Editor of academic journal; Executive Board) but no major fellowships/awards other than an academic publication and a merit scholarship recipient. Interesting ethnic background (not URM) and I'm VERY involved with groups and activities related to it, including a service trip abroad. Above average to strong LORs (including a targeted letter to SLS). Typical summer employment related to my interests (Capitol Hill, non-profits). My PS has been called "very compelling" and ties these things into a narrative.

I REALLY love SLS, and my very serious S/O will be there beginning this fall as well....Do I have a shot??

bhan87

Re: 3.87/171 @ HYP for Stanford!

Postby bhan87 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:39 pm

NorbertElias wrote:Stats: 3.87/171, Political Science-Anthro major at a top Ivy (HYP). Strong upward trend in grades (thought I was gonna go do Math-Physics my freshman year...) Entering senior year, potential to bump GPA to 3.9 by January 2012.

Softs: Strong leadership (President of Student Association; Editor of academic journal; Executive Board) but no major fellowships/awards other than an academic publication and a merit scholarship recipient. Interesting ethnic background (not URM) and I'm VERY involved with groups and activities related to it, including a service trip abroad. Above average to strong LORs (including a targeted letter to SLS). Typical summer employment related to my interests (Capitol Hill, non-profits). My PS has been called "very compelling" and ties these things into a narrative.

I REALLY love SLS, and my very serious S/O will be there beginning this fall as well....Do I have a shot??

Stanford is a black box, but you have a decent shot imo. Wouldn't say its 50-50, but I wouldn't be surprised if you got in either.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri May 20, 2011 7:40 pm

bhan87 wrote:Stanford is a black box, but you have a decent shot imo. Wouldn't say its 50-50, but I wouldn't be surprised if you got in either.

Yup. +1

tgir

Postby tgir » Fri May 20, 2011 8:05 pm

NorbertElias wrote:Stats: 3.87/171, Political Science-Anthro major at a top Ivy (HYP). Strong upward trend in grades (thought I was gonna go do Math-Physics my freshman year...) Entering senior year, potential to bump GPA to 3.9 by January 2012.

I actually think you have a great shot at SLS, like 80-90% chance range. Even with it being a mysterious process, you fit the SLS profile pretty well, especially if you get that GPA up to 3.9 like you hope to. Just make sure to apply early!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 20, 2011 8:16 pm

I'd say your chances are decent at S, and close to a lock at B, which isn't terribly far away. Google maps says an hour

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri May 20, 2011 8:17 pm

You have a good shot, so apply early in the cycle and perfect your resume/personal statement. SLS is a blackbox, but your numbers are definitely in their range.

Return to “What are my chances?”