new, need advice texas/virginia, others!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
skyblue

new, need advice texas/virginia, others!

Postby skyblue » Fri May 20, 2011 1:24 pm

New to the forum. Will be applying next cycle. Native Texan, went to ug at well-regarded school in SE/Atlantic Coast. Would be happy working in TX, Atlanta, Carolina, Virginia, DC. Numbers are 170, 3.4. Problem is that gpa may hurt me at UT, Duke and UVA. Would love UT with in-state tuition, but know UVa is out unless I ED. So, would you recommend ed at UVa, rd at Texas, and then just blanket the top 35? I figure I can get in to Wustl, emory, BC, UNC, Georgia and SMU. It would kind of suck to pay sticker at Uva if I could get Texas in state... but if Texas dings me, and I didn't ed at Virginia, then I lose out on both--which could happen anyway I guess. just trying to figure out a strategy.

duckmoney

Re: new, need advice texas/virginia, others!

Postby duckmoney » Fri May 20, 2011 1:31 pm

If you don't mind paying sticker at UVA, it would be a great option for you. You would very likely be able to pay back the loans based on your interests.

Yes, ED to UVA and blanket the T35. Also apply early action to Texas, which is nonbinding. They get back to their instate applicants very quickly, like by November for first round admits who apply in September. If you hear from Texas before UVA, you can always withdraw your app there.

If you can raise your LSAT score just 2 points on the October LSAT, you would tremendously improve your chances of UVA ED. It's going to be tough with a 170 but not out of the question. If you want to do this, send your apps in in September, then take the test. You won't get any rejections before the results come back but you could theoretically get some acceptances.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri May 20, 2011 1:43 pm

That helps, thanks. Didn't know Texas had non-binding early action. May retake in October, but worried my score could go down two as easily as up two points.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri May 20, 2011 1:48 pm

duckmoney wrote:If you can raise your LSAT score just 2 points on the October LSAT, you would tremendously improve your chances of UVA ED. It's going to be tough with a 170 but not out of the question. If you want to do this, send your apps in in September, then take the test. You won't get any rejections before the results come back but you could theoretically get some acceptances.

This cycle UVA processed a lot of ED applications in 24 hours - though admittedly, WL/reject typically took a few days longer.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri May 20, 2011 10:31 pm

I guess if uva is really that quick I should get my Texas app in first--maybe Sept, and then follow with uva app in October. Do you think my fallback schools are realistic? Chances of $ at any of them if Texas and uva don't happen? Thanks.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri May 20, 2011 10:39 pm

skyblue wrote:I guess if uva is really that quick I should get my Texas app in first--maybe Sept, and then follow with uva app in October. Do you think my fallback schools are realistic? Chances of $ at any of them if Texas and uva don't happen? Thanks.

Sorry, that probably won't work. Texas are still unlikely to get back to you by January.

Do any of the other T14 have an ED system like UVa with a guaranteed answer in 2 weeks? If not, applying to UVa ED means being willing to go there, probably paying sticker, and never knowing what might have been elsewhere. The advantage is that they have historically been much more favorable towards splitters in the ED round than in Regular Decision.

If you're happy to go to UVa at sticker, you should apply the day applications open and maximize your chance of success.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon May 23, 2011 11:37 pm

As a resident you've got a shot at UT with those numbers, would be a lot easier with 3.5+. If you can't commit to UVa at sticker, then you can't ED. One thing that might help to consider is that you can get VA residency fairly easily and COL is pretty low at UVa.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Mon May 23, 2011 11:49 pm

Corwin wrote:As a resident you've got a shot at UT with those numbers, would be a lot easier with 3.5+. If you can't commit to UVa at sticker, then you can't ED. One thing that might help to consider is that you can get VA residency fairly easily and COL is pretty low at UVa.

I'll be a 1L at UVA in the fall, but from what I hear, it's pretty tough to get VA residency. I'm not saying Corwin is wrong, but I would look into it.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon May 23, 2011 11:59 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:
Corwin wrote:As a resident you've got a shot at UT with those numbers, would be a lot easier with 3.5+. If you can't commit to UVa at sticker, then you can't ED. One thing that might help to consider is that you can get VA residency fairly easily and COL is pretty low at UVa.

I'll be a 1L at UVA in the fall, but from what I hear, it's pretty tough to get VA residency. I'm not saying Corwin is wrong, but I would look into it.

Hrm, I was basing it off of this page: http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?al ... lResidents. Makes it seem like you only need to be in VA for half a year.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue May 24, 2011 9:35 am

Corwin wrote:Hrm, I was basing it off of this page: http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?al ... lResidents. Makes it seem like you only need to be in VA for half a year.

Residency for tax purposes is quite different to establishing residency for in-state tuition.

Here's the code:

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/23-7.4.HTM

memaha

Postby memaha » Tue May 24, 2011 10:50 am

albanach wrote:
Corwin wrote:Hrm, I was basing it off of this page: http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?al ... lResidents. Makes it seem like you only need to be in VA for half a year.

Residency for tax purposes is quite different to establishing residency for in-state tuition.

Here's the code:

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/23-7.4.HTM

Albanach is right, VA residency is difficult to establish unless you live in VA for a year BEFORE attending a VA school. Unlike other states that might let you gain residency after one year. Also, the difference between in-state and out-of-state for UVA is $5000, which is much more negligible than other schools and UVA undergrad.
OP, I did UVA ED with 170, and slightly under a 3.4, and got the phone call within 5 hours. But I was willing to risk paying sticker, which seems to be a concern here. Being a TX resident definitely helps you with UT, but who knows what they will decide in regards to your GPA. Also keep in mind that UVA reaches nationally better than UT, and if you are at UVA, the Texan tie is already established for bidding (not that UT suffers terribly).
Also unless you are looking for a lot of $ offers, I don't think it is necessary to blanket every school down to T35. Your numbers are good enough to get you into schools without having to go that deep.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Corwin wrote:As a resident you've got a shot at UT with those numbers, would be a lot easier with 3.5+.

Not really. UT seems to have a pretty strict 3.5 floor.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue May 24, 2011 11:44 pm

Hey all, thanks for all the feedback. Yeah, UT would be great $ wise, but I am worried about the 3.5 floor. How firm is that? I know UVA has great reach and I'd do sticker if I had to, but $ would be nice. Sounds like in-state is tough. Memehaha, thanks, that's reassuring that you heard so quickly. Are you a 1L? Are their numbers getting tougher each year or pretty consistent?

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue May 24, 2011 11:55 pm

Also, Kalvano, saw you are at smu. Did you look at schools outside Texas? I know some folks who want to work in-state only apply to Texas schools thinking that is better for placement. Do TX firms prefer regional/local grads to folks from lower t14?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 25, 2011 12:14 am

I applied all over. I don't like Texas very much. But the firms here tend to have a strong preference for Texas ties, at least the more local firms. The big national ones with Texas offices, it's not as important. So, if you are from Texas, go wherever you want, as high up in the rankings as you get get that you are comfortable with. Obviously, HYS will hold great weight regardless of Texas ties, and UVA and Vandy tend to do well here, too.

But since you are from Texas, going away to a great school will not be seen as anything other than a plus. However, you're probably still out at UT, which is silly, but life. You'll get some good offers, including a lot of money at SMU. Once you have all of them in, weigh your options.

Return to “What are my chances?”