Chances at CCNMVPB?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Theheat633

Chances at CCNMVPB?

Postby Theheat633 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:57 pm

168/3.95
Non URM
3.95 from Berkeley/Michagan in History, Phi Beta Kappa
Graduated in 3yrs due to financial reasons (family = poor)
2 yrs Fortune 100 Public Relations work experience
Summer marketing intern at relatively well known national nonprofit
Former national community service organization board member.
Student tennis/lacrosse athlete throughout college
Mock Trial
Worked 15hrs/week during college
Very strong letters of rec

Going to blanket T14 + UCLA/USC and ED to Chicago in early September

What are my chances at CCNMVPB? Thanks!

lawyerwannabe

Re: Chances at CCNMVPB?

Postby lawyerwannabe » Mon May 09, 2011 2:36 pm

I think that you should ED to P if those are the schools you really want.

I EDed to Chicago this past semester with almost exactly the same stats and was flat rejected! However, you do have more work experience than myself, but I do not think that will make you an attractive enough of a candidate for Chicago.

Thus:

CCN = retake if you want in
MVP = ED and get in; otherwise accept / WL
B = who knowsss

Theheat633

Postby Theheat633 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Does P have better biglaw placement than MVB; or is it just more self selection into NYC? I don't really care where I practice. Just wanna try to avoid bigdebtnojobpwnd.

czelede

Postby czelede » Mon May 09, 2011 2:58 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:I think that you should ED to P if those are the schools you really want.

I EDed to Chicago this past semester with almost exactly the same stats and was flat rejected! However, you do have more work experience than myself, but I do not think that will make you an attractive enough of a candidate for Chicago.

Thus:

B = who knowsss

I think this is a little pessimistic. There HAVE been people who've ED into CN with numbers like yours. I think there's a decent chance of snagging M and P RD, V is hard to tell with out of state applicants but you'd probably be in if you were instate.

No one really knows about B but you have the numerical combination they tend to like, and you can't ED there anyways.

EDIT: I have heard that B doesn't like to take B undergrads though, but this may just be conjecture.

Theheat633

Postby Theheat633 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:19 pm

I heard that too re: B ugrads but I think it's a myth:

https://career.berkeley.edu/Law/Law.stm

See video at the bottom of page.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Mon May 09, 2011 7:32 pm

My general comments about OPs chances of getting into each range of school are pretty accurate. Just because there is a special snowflake who can get in with OP's numbers does not mean OP is going to get in.

My comments are based on probability and probability says (~90%+) OP is not getting into CCN.

If OP EDs to CCN, he will most likely be WL or rejected. Thus, he cannot ED to MVP. Out of those three schools RD, P and V are probably WL. M is the most likely acceptance but that could even be a WL.

And, like stated early, B is a blackhole.

If OP aims too high with their ED, it is probably that he/she will end up at DCNG (still very good school but not on OP's list). If going to one of the schools on the list is very important, I would, if in OP's shoes, ED to my favorite of MVP.

If OP would be happy with DCNG, then I would ED to one of CCN, and see where the cards fall with my ED application as well as my RD applications.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon May 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Any chance you can retake? I have a 169/4.0 and got into Chicago/NYU/Michigan/Penn. Didn't apply to V or B. FWIW, my 169 was crucial, I think, for Chicago and NYU since it put me at their 25th and allowed my GPA + strong softs/recs to carry me through.

laughsalot06

Postby laughsalot06 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:39 pm

We have different softs (I have no work experience), but I have a 4.06 and 168 and was waitlisted at M, V, and P.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Mon May 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Ed to uva

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue May 10, 2011 7:23 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:I think that you should ED to P if those are the schools you really want.

Thus:

B = who knowsss

I think this is basically it. If you can get another 5 or 6 questions right on the LSAT, you're CCN, maybe H (very late in the admissions cycle if at all though).

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue May 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Ed to UVA or retake

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed May 11, 2011 10:35 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Ed to UVA or retake

ED M/P should work. Might work without ED for M if early. ED CCN is probably not going to do anything. Retake or pick between M/P but no money obviously. P has decent need-aid so ED won't hurt too bad. So does B. So I would ED P and apply everywhere else if you don't mind Penn.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu May 12, 2011 9:56 am

Edit: Misread LSAT score - j/k!

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:03 am

Don't ED unless your plans are to utilize the LRAP, otherwise Debt Death...

Return to “What are my chances?”