Poor Freshman Grades

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
icon13

Poor Freshman Grades

Postby icon13 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:17 am

I looked around, but I wanted to get responses specific to my situation.

When I was 18 in 2003 I went to college in Houston and got terrible grades my first semester. I dropped out and joined the Navy for five years, and now I'm going back to school and my GPA at my new school is a 3.9. With my cumulative gpa being around a 3.5 due to grades in 2003, would I still have chances at better schools? Or, will they just not care that I was a very immature 18 year old then and now I am 26 years old adult?

Thanks in advance.

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Poor Freshman Grades

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 am

You should write an addendum. They will accord some significance to the fact that time has passed, but not much.

Ultimately, your cumulative GPA will be the best indication of which schools you will be competitive at - in combination with your LSAT score, or course.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Thu May 05, 2011 10:32 am

icon13 wrote:I looked around, but I wanted to get responses specific to my situation.

When I was 18 in 2003 I went to college in Houston and got terrible grades my first semester. I dropped out and joined the Navy for five years, and now I'm going back to school and my GPA at my new school is a 3.9. With my cumulative gpa being around a 3.5 due to grades in 2003, would I still have chances at better schools? Or, will they just not care that I was a very immature 18 year old then and now I am 26 years old adult?

Thanks in advance.

it won't hurt you much at all, schools will look at ur old and new GPA, and with navy as a soft and a good LSAT, it shouldn't be a problem

icon13

Postby icon13 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:38 am

Cool, thank you.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
icon13 wrote:I looked around, but I wanted to get responses specific to my situation.

Thanks in advance.

it won't hurt you much at all, schools will look at ur old and new GPA, and with navy as a soft and a good LSAT, it shouldn't be a problem

This being said, a 3.9 170 will get you into schools that your 3.5 special circumstance and 170 would not

icon13

Postby icon13 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:55 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:

Thanks in advance.

This being said, a 3.9 170 will get you into schools that your 3.5 special circumstance and 170 would not

That's understandable.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun May 08, 2011 11:59 am

Jah'rakal wrote:

Thanks in advance.

um, what is this post even based on?

unfortunately, OP antipodean's post is prob closer to the truth, based on just how most ppl's cycles work out

they will mostly look at your LSAC GPA because that is the GPA they have to report for rankings. however, if they want you, they have a lot of reasons -- write an addendum; also, they'll see it is from a long time ago, and how your 3.9 GPA may be more indicative (though "technically" weigh less). having that Navy soft for 5 yrs will help you as well.

ebo

Postby ebo » Sun May 08, 2011 6:28 pm

Just focus on rocking the LSAT

Return to “What are my chances?”