3.7 with one bad semester

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jctexas123

3.7 with one bad semester

Postby jctexas123 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:13 pm

My gpa is going to end up being exactly 3.7 at the end of this semester...

I would have a 3.76 or so, but I had one bad semester (two C+'s and two A-'s) due to some unfortunate personal circumstances (i.e. finally coming to terms with the death of a parent)...

How are T14 schools going to appraise that one bad semester? Are they going to consider the external circumstances that caused it?

I know Berkeley takes a "holistic" approach, would Boalt be more likely to consider what I was going through?

I know I don't have an LSAT for you yet, but I'm thinking about visiting some campuses this summer (I'm big on location) and I'm trying to decide if I should even consider checking out CCNMVP with this sub-median gpa and this one messed up semester.
Last edited by jctexas123 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Veyron

Re: 3.7 with one bad semester

Postby Veyron » Mon May 02, 2011 10:16 pm

Berk cares more about GPA than LSAT, so out. Otherwise, come back when you have an LSAT score.

jctexas123

Postby jctexas123 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:19 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by jctexas123 on Mon May 02, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't know enough about the marijuana charges to give you advice. I know that people have successfully dealt with possession charges and have been admitted and have passed C&F. I think a lot depends on the resolution of the charges. You are doing the smartest thing you can by having the best lawyer you can get fight the charges.

You might check with some ethics experts after you know what the outcome of your possession charge will be. I have no advice about the legal prescription and disclosing it, I vote no on that one with no basis for it - but I don't think people here will judge you.

Here's the thing - a lot of the posters on this site seem to have perfect records and never done anything wrong - but that isn't the case for everyone and it isn't the case for everyone in law school.

Your GPA will hurt you at some schools, but you can figure out how to apply appropriately to maximize your chances of admission.

So, basically, you need to post more information on the charges and on the LSAT if you want more answers.

Just be very careful to not out yourself as you have already mentioned a lot of personal information that makes you identifiable. You might want to go back (actually I would highly recommend this) to your first post and edit all of the personal stuff out (before it gets quoted) and just ask the questions.

jctexas123

Postby jctexas123 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:09 pm

thanks for that. new to this.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:03 am

You can still go back and ask the questions lol

Just post your GPA and ask about the schools. Just mention the possession stuff vaguely and see if anyone has any experience with it. All the personal identifying details-- like current school and courses where you had problems (specifically named) and your family history- were the problems I was concerned about. You can always hint at this stuff vaguely in other posts when it is relevant.

jctexas123

Postby jctexas123 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm going to save the possession questions for another post.

Any advice on the bad semester and which schools might take it in to account more than others would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to line up my hopefulls before I get knee-deep in LSAT tutoring.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue May 03, 2011 4:57 pm

jctexas123 wrote:I'm going to save the possession questions for another post.

Any advice on the bad semester and which schools might take it in to account more than others would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to line up my hopefulls before I get knee-deep in LSAT tutoring.

I think your overall GPA is the most important thing. Based on your GPA only, I think Stanford and Yale are out and probably Harvard too, especially if you are applying straight from undergrad. With the other schools, I think it is possible with a high enough LSAT. Berkeley is not out just based on the GPA - they have accepted people with a lower GPA. I don't know if the possession charge will hurt you.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue May 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Boalt took me with a 3.76. Use lawschoolnumbers.com to see what GPAs they accept.

parsi

Postby parsi » Wed May 04, 2011 11:25 am

Youll actually get a little bonus at cal for the possession charge.. :lol:

Anyway, your one bad semester wont make a difference; LSAT is the most important thing by far now

Return to “What are my chances?”