Withdraw at CLS, NYU, Berkeley - reapply to H/Y/S next year?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Withdraw at CLS, NYU, Berkeley - reapply to H/Y/S next year?

Withdraw and reapply next year.
25%
Enroll now.
75%

Total votes: 80

Rock-N-Roll

Re: Withdraw at CLS, NYU, Berkeley - reapply to H/Y/S next year?

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:00 pm

0L here. Older. Non-traditional. To date, I have been both taken aback by as well as entertained by what I consider some of the more extreme elements of TLS culture. That said, this thread is incredible!

Is OP serious? Is everyone who responded to him actually taking this seriously?

No doubt HYS are great, but do all the posters here (and elsewhere on TLS) believe on some level that the world belongs to HYS graduates? Is what law school you attend the measure of a man or woman?

MORE IMPORTANTLY - would someone with the potential for greatness in the field of law not achieve that greatness coming out of any law school?

Disclaimer: I will be attending one of the three law schools that OP is disparaging with this thread, and I am appalled that OP does not merely consider themselves lucky to be my potential classmate (at what I consider an excellent law school) given their rather poor academic performance in college.

Just one man's thoughts...

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:08 pm

this thread is full of lulz

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Just one man's thoughts...

I suggest you flip through some viewbook/faculty books and see where they all (ok well, 90%) graduated from. Also look at clerkship placement data. It's not that graduates from other schools are not going to make it, it is that in certain areas of the legal world the top 3 schools are disproportionally represented, for whatever reason.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:0L here. Older. Non-traditional. To date, I have been both taken aback by as well as entertained by what I consider some of the more extreme elements of TLS culture. That said, this thread is incredible!

Is OP serious? Is everyone who responded to him actually taking this seriously?

No doubt HYS are great, but do all the posters here (and elsewhere on TLS) believe on some level that the world belongs to HYS graduates? Is what law school you attend the measure of a man or woman?

MORE IMPORTANTLY - would someone with the potential for greatness in the field of law not achieve that greatness coming out of any law school?

First, congratulations on getting into a T14!

Second, this thread is serious. Academia is a very status-conscious place, law especially. If you are considering academia, it matters a great deal which school you attend. Nothing else is more important. You're right that if the OP has the potential for research greatness, none of this matters, but if he only has the potential for research decentness, attending HYS rather than CCN could make a big difference. Trust me - I currently work in academia (though not legal academia).

EDIT: if you're not looking at academia, these distinctions matter less (but still a great deal).
Last edited by AntipodeanPhil on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scheherezade

Postby scheherezade » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Congrats on getting into a great school.

I don't by any means mean by this thread to disparage the schools that have accepted me, which I would be honored to attend. If you research legal academia placement statistics, though, you'll see that HYS alums outperform by an order of magnitude. It is not (just) an artifact of the fact that TLSers are ridiculous but mostly of the fact that the profession is very prestige-oriented and dominated by Harvard and Yale alums, followed by Stanford and Chicago (no matter that it's currently ranked 7th by US News). There is consensus on TLS about going there if you want to teach because they increase your chances, but graduates of the other schools also can do well, but arguably have to work harder / face a lower ceiling in terms of academic placement quality.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:16 pm

I value your considerate replies. Maybe the tone of my post was too angry. At the end the day, it is my feeling that we all agree to the presence of the HYS boost in academia, but don't believe HYS to be necessary for academia.

As an idealistic 0L, I feel that law school is just the beginning and in fact only a small part of a legal career. Our law school should therefore not label us nor should it in any way define or stifle our potential. Further, if it is the case that employers in and out of academia are so prestige conscious that the OP's withdrawal consideration seems valid, then that's something that I hope will eventually change because it is both unreasonable and sad.

Return to “What are my chances?”