Non Traditional/WE/Non UM

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
memphisbelle

Non Traditional/WE/Non UM

Postby memphisbelle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi All,

I'm nearing the end of my Bachelors program in Aviation Management and I'm looking to apply to law school for the class of 2013. In my current degree program I have a 3.98. The issue is that I did a few semesters of UG work right after high school and I botched it up pretty bad. I had some pretty good reasons, but I doubt they are compelling enough for the H/Y/S. I plan to share them in my PS/GPA addendum though, just in case. As an estimate, I'm thinking my LSAC GPA may be a 3.4/3.5 with all things considered. I have five years of WE in aviation with increasing responsibility, etc. I've worked full time the entire time I have been in school. I don't have any softs since I spend most of my time at work or studying.

Since I have a little over a year before I need to put in my applications, I was hoping you might be able to suggest some things I can do in the mean time to improve my chances. I plan on taking one of those Kaplan classes to maximize my LSAT potential (RC is very good so far, LG is abysmal but that is with no tutoring.)

Assuming that my LSAT turns out 170+ and my PS and LORs are phenomenal, do you think there is any chance of HYS overlooking my past GPA issues? It's been more than 8 years since I've made less than an A. What about Berkeley?

Sorry this is so long, thanks for any advice you can provide! :)

whymeohgodno

Re: Non Traditional/WE/Non UM

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:57 pm

You could score a 180 on the LSAT. HYS still won't take you if you have a 3.4 unless you are a URM.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Class of 2013 started last year. The class year refers to the anticipated/expected year of graduation from law school.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 pm

No, they won't overlook your 3.4 - 3.5 GPA. Olympic medalists and Marshall scholars apply to HYS and get rejected. Working full-time in school and 5 years of WE won't do it. Aim lower.

memphisbelle

Postby memphisbelle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Duh on the class of 2013 thing. :) Oops.

Well, I guess you have to pay for your mistakes.

Always the optimist...

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Aim for Northwestern, or perhaps Georgetown.

According to LSN, Berkeley has accepted a very small number of non-URM ~3.5s this cycle (2 or 3), and the only one who has posted a good amount of information looks to have fairly exceptional softs and WE.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:44 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:You could score a 180 on the LSAT. HYS still won't take you if you have a 3.4 unless you are a URM.

Not necessarily true
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/georgina/jd
I think with your work experience, if you killed the LSAT, you would have a small shot at Harvard.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:05 pm

You'd need a 177-8 to have any shot

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:05 pm

And 0% chance at S.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:46 pm

And a real LSAT would be nice. Hypothetical "what ifs" are pretty useless.

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:07 pm

sarahh wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:You could score a 180 on the LSAT. HYS still won't take you if you have a 3.4 unless you are a URM.

Not necessarily true
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/georgina/jd
I think with your work experience, if you killed the LSAT, you would have a small shot at Harvard.

I remember looking at her cycle way back, and I'm going to say that she's one giant exception to the rule. Extremely hard, grade-deflated major (I think she may have been a double major) from one of HYPS and amazing softs. And she was taken off the waitlist in July.

Return to “What are my chances?”