How much does residency affect chances at UVA ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
vissidarte27
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

How much does residency affect chances at UVA ED?

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:44 pm

3.2 GPA, first LSAT was 163 in February.

I'm retaking in June and anticipating a higher score (today's PT was 176). But, if I don't break the 170 that I know is needed for low-GPA out-of-state-applicants, might I still be okay with a 168 or a 169 since I am a Virginia resident?

I know that 40% of their admissions are in-state applicants; how much does that affect the numbers game?

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: How much does residency affect chances at UVA ED?

Postby mettasutta » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:56 pm

In-state do get a small boost, but I did a search on LSN of sub-170 apps with your GPA in the past three cycles, and there was not one non-URM...it is a pretty limited sample though.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: How much does residency affect chances at UVA ED?

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Supposedly, UVA has a stronger in-state boost than other state schools. I don't know if you could go much lower, but from what I've heard on here, I think that a 168/3.2 ED would most likely get you in.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: How much does residency affect chances at UVA ED?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:31 am

Definitely a boost, but with that GPA you will need a much higher score.

User avatar
oscodasa
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: How much does residency affect chances at UVA ED?

Postby oscodasa » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:38 am

Patriot1208 wrote:Definitely a boost, but with that GPA you will need a much higher score.


+1. If you know you want UVa it would be well within your best interest to submit ED with that GPA. If you don't submit ED, UVa is a school that takes personal interest very seriously, so be sure to submit a Why UVa.

And also be sure to visit - it's a wonderful school and won me over instantly.

Good luck!

User avatar
vissidarte27
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: How much does residency affect chances at UVA ED?

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:52 pm

oscodasa wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Definitely a boost, but with that GPA you will need a much higher score.


+1. If you know you want UVa it would be well within your best interest to submit ED with that GPA. If you don't submit ED, UVa is a school that takes personal interest very seriously, so be sure to submit a Why UVa.

And also be sure to visit - it's a wonderful school and won me over instantly.

Good luck!


Oh, I'm definitely doing ED. And probably submitting my application September 1st. And writing a "Why UVA" essay. And basically begging them to admit me.

I actually just moved to Charlottesville from Chicago, so I've seen UVA and have totally fallen in love with it (it's the reason I moved here, honestly).

User avatar
westinghouse60
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

Re: How much does residency affect chances at UVA ED?

Postby westinghouse60 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:09 am

JamMasterJ wrote:Supposedly, UVA has a stronger in-state boost than other state schools. I don't know if you could go much lower, but from what I've heard on here, I think that a 168/3.2 ED would most likely get you in.


In state or out of state? Either way, that seems low even with ED.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: How much does residency affect chances at UVA ED?

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:21 am

westinghouse60 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Supposedly, UVA has a stronger in-state boost than other state schools. I don't know if you could go much lower, but from what I've heard on here, I think that a 168/3.2 ED would most likely get you in.


In state or out of state? Either way, that seems low even with ED.

She is in state. read above post.

t-ender
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:26 am

Re: How much does residency affect chances at UVA ED?

Postby t-ender » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:21 am

vissidarte27 wrote:3.2 GPA, first LSAT was 163 in February.

I'm retaking in June and anticipating a higher score (today's PT was 176). But, if I don't break the 170 that I know is needed for low-GPA out-of-state-applicants, might I still be okay with a 168 or a 169 since I am a Virginia resident?

I know that 40% of their admissions are in-state applicants; how much does that affect the numbers game?


I was in a similar position as you (instate, GPA below 25%) and decided to apply ED with an LSAT score above the 75% percentile. I truly think that you need to hit at least 1 GPA/LSAT median before they will accept you regardless of being instate. The ED cost me any scholarship money I may have received but for a splitter any money at all is rare. The only benefit to applying RD would have been to use scholarship offers from other schools as leverage but this was not worth the risk of being rejected from UVA.

By looking at LSN, I think I would have been accepted RD but who knows.

With your GPA, I think you must hit at least a 170 LSAT.

yasafener1907
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: How much does residency affect chances at UVA ED?

Postby yasafener1907 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:00 pm

I'm in pretty much the same situation. Currently have a 3.35/169 and am re-taking in June, hoping to break 170 and get in ED as an in-state resident. Do you think this small boost will make my odds any better?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests