grad school dropout, what are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hopefullylawmaterial

grad school dropout, what are my chances?

Postby hopefullylawmaterial » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:47 am

I dropped out of a grad program at the end of my last semester. I had been so stressed and began suffering from depression since I hated my grad program and the stress my thesis was causing me. So, I left in order to regather my thoughts and focus on regaining my mental stability.

I have always wanted to go to law school, but I feared I would be rejected and didn't apply. Instead, I chose to get a Master's degree to make my application more impressive. The program turned out to be a huge mistake, and I feared leaving but had to when my mental health started to deteriorate.

I have a 3.34 undergraduate GPA and haven't taken the LSAT yet.

Do you think my leaving my graduate program will cause me to be rejected from law schools?

Honesty will be greatly appreciated! : )

sarahlawg

Re: grad school dropout, what are my chances?

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:12 pm

well, I did one semester of a grad program and dropped it and didn't see it affect my admissions process. Your UGPA will be what you have to overcome. Good luck!

tedler

Postby tedler » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:51 pm

tedler wrote:I'd think twice about law school if pressure plays havoc with your mental state--although I can see how composing a thesis could cause a unique type of misery.

For almost all disciplines, law school stress >>>>>> grad school stress at the masters level

tedler

Postby tedler » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:58 pm

tedler wrote:
For almost all disciplines, law school stress >>>>>> grad school stress at the masters level

Didn't say greater, just unique. Having to create something completely original would scare me a lot more than putting in 90 hour weeks. The warning still applies to the OP though.

A close friend of mine completed a JD/PhD (in Political Science) from a T1. Her view was that the PhD was harder, because of the whole thesis-writing business, but that law school was more intense. People were much more competitive in law school. Grad school is not very competitive - in my experience - because you don't need to achieve a certain rank, and the professors don't grade on a curve - they'll give everyone As, if deserved.

Anyway, "unique" sounds right to me, as does the warning.

Return to “What are my chances?”