3.96 (all A's after the first semester)/176 regional college

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
trudat15

Re: 3.96 (all A's after the first semester)/176 regional college

Postby trudat15 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:01 pm

How has no one called FLAME yet.
3.96/176, can I make it to the lower t14???

tinman

Postby tinman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:17 pm

anstone1988 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I'm almost done with my third year in college, and I'm applying this fall during my senior fall. I guess it's really hard to wrap my head around the idea that UG doesn't matter much. I have friends here at my college who still have 4.0s (they are probably going to become valedictorians), but even they are constantly complaining about how hard and unlikely getting into top 30 physics, biology, and business programs is for them. That's why I thought CCN were extremely unlikely for me, let alone H. And, I just can't picture YS accepting me since they have such small classes filled with students from prestigious UGs. I should add that my softs are probably average, probably below average for applicants at HYS CCN. It's hard for students at my college to get good summer internships. So, my only job experience has been working as a cashier at the local supermarket.

Hey Anstone. You'll get into an awesome LS, get money at a lot of T14s, and probably get into a very highly ranked school. You should definitely apply to every school in the T14, including Y and S. You are very lucky you are applying to law school, which is such a numbers game with the bizarre hierarchy and the US News Ranking. As someone who has a Ph.D. from a top school and is now a student at Yale, I can tell you that the admissions criteria are very, very different.

The reality is that someone with your same LSAT score and a 3.5 at an ridiculously hard top flight engineering school (MIT, Cornell, etc) will likely have a harder time getting into a top law school than you. Admissions officers do very little to adjust based on both the difficulty of the major and the difficulty of the school.

Make sure you keep up your grades this spring ... and you'll be golden!

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:33 pm

This

Bobeo wrote:
Bumi wrote:
anstone1988 wrote:And, I just can't picture YS accepting me since they have such small classes filled with students from prestigious UGs. I should add that my softs are probably average, probably below average for applicants at HYS CCN. It's hard for students at my college to get good summer internships. So, my only job experience has been working as a cashier at the local supermarket.

I'm going to hire Robin Williams to grow a beard and then hug you and repeat "You have a 176" over and over.

+1

and this

vanwinkle wrote:Enjoy Harvard.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:55 am

anstone1988 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I'm almost done with my third year in college, and I'm applying this fall during my senior fall. I guess it's really hard to wrap my head around the idea that UG doesn't matter much. I have friends here at my college who still have 4.0s (they are probably going to become valedictorians), but even they are constantly complaining about how hard and unlikely getting into top 30 physics, biology, and business programs is for them. That's why I thought CCN were extremely unlikely for me, let alone H. And, I just can't picture YS accepting me since they have such small classes filled with students from prestigious UGs. I should add that my softs are probably average, probably below average for applicants at HYS CCN. It's hard for students at my college to get good summer internships. So, my only job experience has been working as a cashier at the local supermarket.

This whole blurb was my EXACT same situation last year. No doubt, a TTTT university WILL likely hurt you but not nearly as much as you think. I got WLed at Harvard with your exact same circumstances except (big exception) my LSAT was a Brett Favre # below you. You'll likely get in.

I'd be pretty shocked if you got into Yale, and your odds at Stanford are lower than your odds at Harvard, but I really think Harvard will accept you. (Note: Law school performance is not correlated with undergrad prestige. At all. Just remember that)

1988AndX

Postby 1988AndX » Mon May 02, 2011 5:43 pm

You will almost definitely get $$$ from CCN on down.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon May 02, 2011 5:49 pm

ehh OP prob has a good picture of his chances now, but im a little skeptical and want to call flame also. lower T14s? enough to know that distinction but not enough to know he has near perfect numbers?

1988AndX

Postby 1988AndX » Mon May 02, 2011 7:19 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:ehh OP prob has a good picture of his chances now, but im a little skeptical and want to call flame also. lower T14s? enough to know that distinction but not enough to know he has near perfect numbers?

I don't think it's flame. The OP is obviously very concerned about his/her UG. When I first came on this board, I found the fact that law schools care so little about the prestige of UG to be surprising as well. The idea that someone can go from TTTT UG or community college to HYSCCN was shocking.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon May 02, 2011 7:23 pm

1988AndX wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:ehh OP prob has a good picture of his chances now, but im a little skeptical and want to call flame also. lower T14s? enough to know that distinction but not enough to know he has near perfect numbers?

I don't think it's flame. The OP is obviously very concerned about his/her UG. When I first came on this board, I found the fact that law schools care so little about the prestige of UG to be surprising as well. The idea that someone can go from TTTT UG or community college to HYSCCN was shocking.

i mean you're probably right, yet at the same time, a part of me remains skeptical just because of how excellent OP's stats are. even before learning about the difficulty of getting into law schools, i learned from this board the importance of numbers haha. and if i had a 3.96 and 40 on the MCAT, without knowing anything about med admissions, id assume id have a shot at all the schools lol. for the OP to "hope" that he could get the lower T14 was a stretch for me

icpb

Postby icpb » Mon May 02, 2011 7:53 pm

anstone1988 wrote:I guess, what would be my chances at the lower T14s, and I understand that Yale and Stanford are definitely out, how high up the rankings should I aim?

The OP never mentioned that he "hoped" to get into the lower T14's. He was probably aware that he would get into the lower T14's. I think his main purpose was to try to gauge how high up the rankings he could go. From what he wrote, he seemed to think that CCN was the ceiling.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon May 02, 2011 8:01 pm

icpb wrote:
anstone1988 wrote:I guess, what would be my chances at the lower T14s, and I understand that Yale and Stanford are definitely out, how high up the rankings should I aim?

The OP never mentioned that he "hoped" to get into the lower T14's. He was probably aware that he would get into the lower T14's. I think his main purpose was to try to gauge how high up the rankings he could go. From what he wrote, he seemed to think that CCN was the ceiling.

"I guess, what would be my chances at the lower T14s, and I understand that Yale and Stanford are definitely out, how high up the rankings should I aim?"

chances at lower T14 with stats like that would be an unequivocal 100%

icpb

Postby icpb » Mon May 02, 2011 8:05 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
icpb wrote:

"I guess, what would be my chances at the lower T14s, and I understand that Yale and Stanford are definitely out, how high up the rankings should I aim?"

chances at lower T14 with stats like that would be an unequivocal 100%

I agree. But, not everyone runs in the same circles as us, and the OP seems to be fairly new to TLS.

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Mon May 02, 2011 11:51 pm

legaleagle9 wrote:congratulations. you have the numbers that I, as well as probably most people on this site, are striving so hard for. I cannot see why ANY law school in the nation would reject you unless you are Osama Bin Laden.

HAHA, this was posted almost a week ago. How ironic? Has the OP been back on in the past couple of days?!?!?

EDIT: Posted over a week ago.

anstone1988

Postby anstone1988 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:41 pm

bhan87 wrote:http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/jd/apply/undergrads.html

Take a look at a number of no name universities that made their way into Harvard last year alone. You have a 176

Thanks for all the replies. I feel more confident about my application now going into next cycle. Do most students from those no name universities have impressive softs?

Snape

Postby Snape » Tue May 17, 2011 9:11 am

Your undergrad school means ABSOLUTELY nothing to US News Rankings, therefore, it means ABSOLUTELY nothing to law school admissions. Apply to your top 10 favorite schools and decide to go for free or fame.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue May 17, 2011 9:25 am

I have never thought about applying to law school until I took the LSAT.

don't go to law school

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue May 17, 2011 9:35 am

Borhas wrote:
I have never thought about applying to law school until I took the LSAT.

don't go to law school

Depends on what his other options are.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue May 17, 2011 9:36 am

anstone1988 wrote:
bhan87 wrote:http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/jd/apply/undergrads.html

Take a look at a number of no name universities that made their way into Harvard last year alone. You have a 176

Thanks for all the replies. I feel more confident about my application now going into next cycle. Do most students from those no name universities have impressive softs?

Not necessarily. Make sure you talk about working at the grocery store, though; that can function as a "soft" if you present it right.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue May 17, 2011 9:37 am

trudat15 wrote:How has no one called FLAME yet.
3.96/176, can I make it to the lower t14???

Lots of people don't even imagine that schools like Harvard can be an option for them, no matter what their numbers are. OP may not have been raised to assume that any Ivy would ever look twice at him.

Return to “What are my chances?”