Retake Q- does NYU avg (in practice)?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Theheat633

Retake Q- does NYU avg (in practice)?

Postby Theheat633 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:10 pm

168, 3.96 from top 20 ugrad. 2yrs fortune 100 work exp. Cancel, 168Feb 10, Retake enrolled for June6.

PT avg is 170 but ranges from 166-172depending on games/ RC.

From some threads I've read on here, it seems like if I'm willing to keep doing sections/PTs and analysis for ~15-20hrs a week, which I have been doing and plan on continuing to do until June, then there is more upside in improving even 1 point than downside of retaking and having it potentially avgd on my record, seeing as how it looks like, as of now, I'll be most likely shut out of T6.

I plan on applying ED to NYU if I don't improve on my 168 because its my top choice and I really want to practice corporate law in NYC.

Question is- is the retake worth it, given my relatively low (170) PT avg and the fact that looking at LSN it looks like I'm a coin flip ED to NYU w my current score? Will NYU avg my score if I walk away in June with a 166 (god forbid)?

Or- should I just keep being aggressive, putting in the time towards questions/analysis and hope to have a good >168 day ? TYIA

bdubs

Re: Retake Q- does NYU avg (in practice)?

Postby bdubs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:15 pm

I don't think they averaged my scores (would have averaged to 168), but I wrote a good addendum for why they should only consider my higher score.

I think you should keep practicing your weak sections and see if you can bring your average up to the low-mid 170s.

Theheat633

Postby Theheat633 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:26 pm

ty for the support.

Ill try my best, brother.

It feels like I hit a plateau but I'll keep drilling weaknesses and trying to get faster. I hit 173 on PT 59 when prepping for it in Feb so I know I can do it on a good day, albeit an outlier day.

Spent ~400 hrs and >6months on LSAT prep thus far; sadly, not flame. Started at 146 cold FWIW.

Still grinding.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Theheat633 wrote:ty for the support.

Ill try my best, brother.

It feels like I hit a plateau but I'll keep drilling weaknesses and trying to get faster. I hit 173 on PT 59 when prepping for it in Feb so I know I can do it on a good day, albeit an outlier day.

Spent ~400 hrs and >6months on LSAT prep thus far; sadly, not flame. Started at 146 cold FWIW.

Still grinding.

That's tough, you've probably gone well past the point of diminishing marginal returns. Your GPA is pretty stellar though, so it might not be a huge risk to retake and hope to hit it on a "good day". I've heard (but can't confirm) that schools tend to ignore lower retakes.

Theheat633

Postby Theheat633 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Ya bro. I'm prolly getting diminishing-return pwnd for sure.

But oddly I don't mind studying for the LSAT much at all. I kinda like the challenge, which I guess is a good thing. I just make it part of my daily routine so 15-20hrs/wk it's not really stressful at all.

M-Th I get off work @ 5pm (chill corporate McJob). 3 hrs of LSAT at BIGSTATEU library, gym for an hr while watching NBA playoffs on treadmill, GF makes late dinner. Crash @ midnight. I take Fridays off. PT on Sat & Sun from 10-2pm with a review for an hr after. Done at 3pm.

Thing that bugs me is I know LR COLD. -2 or fewer per timed section, without fail. It's RC and LG which I just keep grinding and trying to get faster.

legaleagle9

Postby legaleagle9 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:46 am

Am i the only one that thinks with that GPA, and LSAT score only 1 below the 25% percentile, and ED, he will make it? I dont want to get your hopes way way up, but I dont think its out the question by any means...

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:55 am

Theheat633 wrote:168, 3.96 from top 20 ugrad. 2yrs fortune 100 work exp. Cancel, 168Feb 10, Retake enrolled for June6.

PT avg is 170 but ranges from 166-172depending on games/ RC.

From some threads I've read on here, it seems like if I'm willing to keep doing sections/PTs and analysis for ~15-20hrs a week, which I have been doing and plan on continuing to do until June, then there is more upside in improving even 1 point than downside of retaking and having it potentially avgd on my record, seeing as how it looks like, as of now, I'll be most likely shut out of T6.

I plan on applying ED to NYU if I don't improve on my 168 because its my top choice and I really want to practice corporate law in NYC.

Question is- is the retake worth it, given my relatively low (170) PT avg and the fact that looking at LSN it looks like I'm a coin flip ED to NYU w my current score? Will NYU avg my score if I walk away in June with a 166 (god forbid)?

Or- should I just keep being aggressive, putting in the time towards questions/analysis and hope to have a good >168 day ? TYIA

There were a few TLSers with very good second or third LSATs that were not accepted by NYU this year when others with similar numbers were. That said, it could be coincidence, because who knows if they would have been accepted anyway.

The question of whether or not to retake... I don't have a good answer for you. If you think you can improve on it (Get 171-173), go for it. If not, spend all that extra time on making the rest of your app top-notch. If you feel like there is more than a remote chance of getting a worse score, I would think twice about retaking.

Quite frankly, your GPA is so good that getting a few more points could give you a very good chance of getting NYU or CLS (since you want NYC). No matter what, you'll be able to get into a school that can get you to NYC BigLaw. It will be much easier from NYU (or CLS), but UMich (which I think you're almost for sure in at) or UVa or whatever will still give you a very good chance at NYC BigLaw.

If you have any other NYU specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Return to “What are my chances?”