no citizenship/chances at HY?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
futurehero

no citizenship/chances at HY?

Postby futurehero » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:32 am

As I said in the subject line, I don't have a green card but I graduated one of the most prestigious American univiersities (one of HYPSM) and my gpa was 3.98 (lsac 4.01)

LOR is ok. wouldn't be outstanding tho.
Softs are good. President/founder of one college club, director of a pragram, club executives, volunteers, etc all related to the educational public interest. RA and internships in legal fields (but not in a big US law firm). Also, college First generation + low income

will apply september or october at the latest this year. will take lsat once in june, and if that doesn't work out well, once more in october. but definitely no more. consistently getting 170+ in practice but can't guarantee 175+.

The thing is, I MUST get into HY/Hamilton at C. If not, I need to significantly lower my standard cuz most other T14 schools does not have any scholarship or FA that I - as an international - am also eligible for. (If there is, please let me know!)

what lsat score do I need to get in order to get into HY/Hamilton at C?

FiveSermon

Re: no citizenship/chances at HY?

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:36 am

174+

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:43 am

4.01 LSAC GPA from HYPSM? i guess 173 would give you a very good shot at HLS. YLS is crapshoot.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:43 am

DoubleChecks wrote:4.01 LSAC GPA from HYPSM? i guess 173 would give you a very good shot at HLS. YLS is crapshoot.

He is an international student. His GPA will only be counted as superior.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:47 am

FiveSermon wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:4.01 LSAC GPA from HYPSM? i guess 173 would give you a very good shot at HLS. YLS is crapshoot.

I thought it was based on the institution, not the student. He graduated from an American university...

OP: Do you have a valid student visa?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:49 am

vanwinkle wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

I thought it was based on the institution, not the student. He graduated from an American university...

Oh right. Then in that case 173+.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:54 am

vanwinkle wrote:I thought it was based on the institution, not the student. He graduated from an American university...

Yes, OP will have a LSAC GPA because his/her UG degree is from an American University.

The visa issue isn't relevant. OP will have a visa to study at HYPSM, and will be able to get a new one if admitted to law school. Student visas are always tied to attendance at a particular school.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:58 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:The visa issue isn't relevant. OP will have a visa to study at HYPSM, and will be able to get a new one if admitted to law school. Student visas are always tied to attendance at a particular school.

Flaw: Assumes OP already has a visa. At least one Ivy is known for admitting undocumented residents to their UG programs.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Flaw: Assumes OP already has a visa. At least one Ivy is known for admitting undocumented residents to their UG programs.

I'm sure it is very unlikely that the student is here illegally. At any rate, why are you asking? If the OP is here illegally, he or she must be aware of the problems that causes.

Back on topic: I hope the OP is aware that he/she can get banks loans to cover the cost of attendance at a top law school. The interest rates will be higher than an American would pay, but still worth it for a very top law school, imho.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:13 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Flaw: Assumes OP already has a visa. At least one Ivy is known for admitting undocumented residents to their UG programs.

I'm sure it is very unlikely that the student is here illegally. At any rate, why are you asking? If the OP is here illegally, he or she must be aware of the problems that causes.

More flawed assumptions. You apparently enjoy those. I especially liked the way you tried to divert attention from them by implying people who don't make the same unfounded logical leaps as you are going off-topic.

I'm asking because OP hasn't said they are here legally, because it could have an effect on their future that they may not be aware of, and because unlike you, I'd rather learn facts and give advice based on them instead of just assuming things.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 pm

OP, apologies for the forced tangent, but I'll ask again: Are you on a student visa?

Also, where do you plan to practice law when you graduate?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Back on topic: I hope the OP is aware that he/she can get banks loans to cover the cost of attendance at a top law school. The interest rates will be higher than an American would pay, but still worth it for a very top law school, imho.

It's not very unlikely. I have many friends who are here illegally.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Not that my opinion is worth much, when I read the title and first paragraph, I thought the OP was undocumented. Plenty of undocumented immigrants go to US colleges without a visa. Maybe not the best idea for law school, though.

Assuming you are international, there are plenty of other top 14 schools that offer full-tuition scholarships in addition to Columbia. I would not think you have to be a US citizen to get them.

futurehero

Postby futurehero » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:54 pm

wooo so many replies in just a few hours!
You guys don't need to fight over if I am a legally cuz I am. haha
I don't understand how I can be a non-legal student... is there any way that you can register in a school without a legal document?
I am not a hispanic or an immigrant. I am an international student who grew up in a country in Asia, and has a passport of that nationality.

One more thing that I am concerned, my country is vastly overrepresented in top law schools (Not only in law schools but almost in every academic institution in the world that you can think of lol)
now you can guess which country I came from huh :P

so does the fact that I am a first-generation, low income student (who I think can be classified as a socially disadvantaged) not have any effect? is it because I am a foreigner?

And more importantly, do you guys know if there's any scholarship or FA in T14 that you think I am eligible for? besides the ones in HY,C. I dropped stanford out from my dream-school list cuz as I know, they don't have any sort of a merit-based scholarship and they don't allow foreigners to apply for FA.

I would appreciate your advice
Thanks everyone :)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:07 pm

futurehero wrote: I don't understand how I can be a non-legal student... is there any way that you can register in a school without a legal document?

Yes, which is why I asked.

futurehero wrote:One more thing that I am concerned, my country is vastly overrepresented in top law so does the fact that I am a first-generation, low income student (who I think can be classified as a socially disadvantaged) not have any effect? is it because I am a foreigner?

You'll just need to contact each school and ask if you're required to be a US citizen to receive merit aid. I'm pretty sure H/Y don't have such a requirement, though.

futurehero wrote: I would appreciate your advice
Thanks everyone :)

Where do you hope to practice? Back in your home country?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:45 pm

You may find this helpful

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=144338

futurehero

Postby futurehero » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:20 am

Thanks for the link!

I want to start my career in the states. Maybe I will move back to my country later but that depends on how I like my work and life here.

bleh

Postby bleh » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:34 am

let me guess. are you from China?

bleh

Postby bleh » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:39 am

bleh wrote:let me guess. are you from China?

or Japan?

I mean your GPA is more impressive if you're from a non-english-speaking country.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:01 pm

bleh wrote:

or Japan?

I mean your GPA is more impressive if you're from a non-english-speaking country.

Egregious anti Korea trolling.

bleh

Postby bleh » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:21 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
bleh wrote:

or Japan?

Egregious anti Korea trolling.

lol oops. forgot to list it up. no offense! I was just talking about non-english-speaking countries...that was my point.

futurehero

Postby futurehero » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:14 pm

lol you are correct. I am from one of the three countries listed.

violinst

Postby violinst » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:25 pm

futurehero wrote:lol you are correct. I am from one of the three countries listed.

Don't worry about money 8) , Just get a high LSAT score.

roary

Postby roary » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Hey OP
As another foreign student applying to law schools without green card or citizenship, let me offer you some insight.
Score as high as you can in your LSAT, then apply to a variety of schools. Most schools will consider you automatically for merit based aid and you can also apply to their other specialized scholarships unless they explicitly forbid non-citizens from applying. Personally I think I've only run into UC San Diego and UC Davis that have no merit based aid for foreign applicants to JD; but then again, I was not applying to the T-14. So study hard and do your best....you might actually be surprised how many schools will recruit you under the "diversity" category.
Best of luck

PS- We are ineligible to apply for FAFSA, but I'm sure you know that already.

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:54 pm

roary wrote:Hey OP
As another foreign student applying to law schools without green card or citizenship, let me offer you some insight.
Score as high as you can in your LSAT, then apply to a variety of schools. Most schools will consider you automatically for merit based aid and you can also apply to their other specialized scholarships unless they explicitly forbid non-citizens from applying. Personally I think I've only run into UC San Diego and UC Davis that have no merit based aid for foreign applicants to JD; but then again, I was not applying to the T-14. So study hard and do your best....you might actually be surprised how many schools will recruit you under the "diversity" category.
Best of luck

PS- We are ineligible to apply for FAFSA, but I'm sure you know that already.

Seeing as UCSD doesn't have a law school, I don't believe they offer merit based aid for any JD applicants.

Return to “What are my chances?”