Non traditional desperate to get an answer

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
noneya

Non traditional desperate to get an answer

Postby noneya » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:43 am

Want to get an idea about my chances at Fordham. I have a 2.7 ugpa, My lsat score is 158. I am urm. I have WE in law firms for the past 10 years. I chairman of a headstart program in the community. With a really great PS, Diversity Statment and Addendum for an explanation of my grades...what are my chances of gaining acceptance to Fordham.

I emailed Deloggio and she told me that I will have a chance with anything over 152 and a really good chance with anything 155 and over if I apply part-time. I can't say I trust her credentials though

Cupidity

Re: Non traditional desperate to get an answer

Postby Cupidity » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:01 pm

No chance full time, probably no chance part time.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:12 pm

noneya wrote:Want to get an idea about my chances at Fordham. I have a 2.7 ugpa, My lsat score is 158. I am urm. I have WE in law firms for the past 10 years. I chairman of a headstart program in the community. With a really great PS, Diversity Statment and Addendum for an explanation of my grades...what are my chances of gaining acceptance to Fordham.

I emailed Deloggio and she told me that I will have a chance with anything over 152 and a really good chance with anything 155 and over if I apply part-time. I can't say I trust her credentials though

Honestly. You probably don't have a chance. Can you retake? Those are awesome softs. Don't waste them.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Without URM, almost no chance at both FT and PT. Retake is TCR here if you want Fordham.

Btw, if Deloggio is an adcomm, he/she will always say you have a chance to boost the number of applicants.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:21 pm

bhan87 wrote:Without URM, almost no chance at both FT and PT. Retake is TCR here if you want Fordham.

Btw, if Deloggio is an adcomm, he/she will always say you have a chance to boost the number of applicants.

Do you actually read the OP and/or think before you post or just blurt out the first dogmatic shit that comes to mind?

OP: Are you applying this cycle?

noneya

Postby noneya » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

bhan87 wrote:Without URM, almost no chance at both FT and PT. Retake is TCR here if you want Fordham.

You said that without URM I will have no chance. Do I have a small chance with URM? And by the way what does TCR mean?

noneya

Postby noneya » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:25 pm

patrickd139 wrote:

Do you actually read the OP and/or think before you post or just blurt out the first dogmatic shit that comes to mind?

I would like to. Just trying to know the odds.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:25 pm

patrickd139 wrote:

I specify URM because that factor often makes a cycle unpredictable. And how is what I said dogmatic? Sure, it's shit because the OP clearly has no chance at the school of their dreams, but it's the truth. OP's numbers are below both the 25th percentiles for Fordham. With that GPA he/she will need to surpass the 75th for the LSAT to have a fighting chance...

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:28 pm

noneya wrote:

You said that without URM I will have no chance. Do I have a small chance with URM? And by the way what does TCR mean?

URMs are harder to predict. Even with URM I don't think your chances are great, but they won't reject you as quickly. TCR means "the correct response". In other words, try your best to raise your LSAT and get it to Fordham's 75th percentile and you have a decent shot

noneya

Postby noneya » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:30 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:
noneya wrote:Want to get an idea about my chances at Fordham. I have a 2.7 ugpa, My lsat score is 158. I am urm. I have WE in law firms for the past 10 years. I chairman of a headstart program in the community. With a really great PS, Diversity Statment and Addendum for an explanation of my grades...what are my chances of gaining acceptance to Fordham.

Honestly. You probably don't have a chance. Can you retake? Those are awesome softs. Don't waste them.

I can retake but what is the minimum LSAT score I need in order to gain acceptance. If I retake I will of course shoot for the stars. I think I was just really out of it when I took that LSAT. I suffered from food poisoning two days prior and was still feeling a little woozy. I just of canceled but that is a lost cause now.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Your GPA is significantly below Fordham's 25th percentile, so you'll want a 168+

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:44 pm

noneya wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:OP: Are you applying this cycle?

I would like to. Just trying to know the odds.

Applying this cycle will almost assuredly end in a rejection from Fordham with your numbers, even considering your URM status. You might go ahead and apply, but your chances of getting in are asymptotically approaching zero, so I think you'll be wasting your money. Fordham seems to be within reach, but please seriously consider retaking and reapplying early next cycle. Even bumping your LSAT up 3 or 4 points would make all the difference.

I do agree with bhan87 about not necessarily trusting the adcom's word on the numbers. That said, I think you can get in next cycle if you put some work in.

noneya

Postby noneya » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Its worth taking over to get into Fordham. Its just that I want to get there sooooo bad that I don't want to wait for it.

I worked thru out undergrad as a babysitter, office assistant whatever I could get my hands on that would work around my schedule to help my parents during the time they almost lost their house. I knew that their hands with be tied up with attorney fees and would barely have enough for groceries each month. So I figured what I made will help them. I became an RA during my sophmore year to help me with my room and board. And dealing with my sister being deported back to Haiti because of her drug addiction was a huge hit. It was hard to deal with and as a consequence I struggled with my school work. I barely made ends meet but the only driving force that push me was at least giving my parents the proud moment of seeing their last child (first to college and graduate) walk the aisle to get her degree. No they didn't have any clue about gpa. But That look was priceless for me. This also explains the crazy last semester I had with me carrying a 23 credit load. Yes I said 23. Being that I was seen as a responsible R.A on campus (thru programs I was required to fulfill) I got the sign off from faculty. I was desperate in finding some sort of light in some sort of tunnel and that was my parent's smile. ..... Damn, this sounds so corny but that was really my life at that time.

Never the less, thank you so much for your sound advise. And a retake seems to be the best answer for me.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:08 pm

What kind of URM are you? African American is a way bigger boost than Native American, Mexican or Puerto Rican American.

noneya

Postby noneya » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:18 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:What kind of URM are you? African American is a way bigger boost than Native American, Mexican or Puerto Rican American.

I am AA.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm sorry, but with those numbers you basically have no shot at Fordham.
Check out their stats on LSN or the Law School website; your best bet will
be to study very hard and retake. With a 2.7, I suspect you will need at least
a 168 to counter (as bhan87 posited.)
Best of luck to you.

noneya

Postby noneya » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:30 pm

nygrrrl wrote:I'm sorry, but with those numbers you basically have no shot at Fordham.
Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your imput nygrrrl. So now all I have to decide now is whether I will take testmasters or blueprint...

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:49 pm

noneya wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:I'm sorry, but with those numbers you basically have no shot at Fordham.
Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your imput nygrrrl. So now all I have to decide now is whether I will take testmasters or blueprint...

I took Blueprint, and it helped me dramatically. Don't underestimate the importance of having an instructor that will get you engaged with the material. Blueprint emphasizes personality in their hiring process and it pays off big in the classroom.

Also, your AA status will definitely be a big boost. Atm, you probably still won't get in but if you can break 165 on the LSAT, Fordham comes into play.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Did you guys see this person on LSN:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/loosechange

A URM with a 2.57 LSAC GPA and a 162 LSAT score accepted to Fordham. Also, loosechange claims to be both an international candidate and a URM, which makes it likely that she is South American. A non-American Hispanic candidate is surely less desireable than AA.

I think, since there are so few candidates with records similar to the OP, it is irresponsible for people on this board to tell him he has no chance. Yes, his GPA is below the 25th percentile, but so are the GPAs of almost 1/4 candidates accepted at Fordham.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:18 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Did you guys see this person on LSN:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/loosechange

A URM with a 2.57 LSAC GPA and a 162 LSAT score accepted to Fordham. Also, loosechange claims to be both an international candidate and a URM, which makes it likely that she is South American. A non-American Hispanic candidate is surely less desireable than AA.

I think, since there are so few candidates with records similar to the OP, it is irresponsible for people on this board to tell him he has no chance. Yes, his GPA is below the 25th percentile, but so are the GPAs of almost 1/4 candidates accepted at Fordham.

Phil, I'm not sure if you were addressing that to me but I'll respond.
OP is asking for opinions and we are giving them - hopefully, honestly.
I personally feel it is irresponsible to side step the truth and to give false hope. If OP applies now, with those numbers, s/he has basically no shot. As to the LSN profile - I would caution that those are self-reported numbers and should be taken with a bit of caution (I would also add that a 162 is very different from a 158 - but probably not out of OP's range, in a retake.) I am currently a nontrad at Fordham and when I give advice on these boards it is as helpful and encouraging as possible (I want more of us, here!), but it is also honest.

To the OP - I don't have any experience with the test prep programs you're considering but there is quite a bit of information in the LSAT prep section of the forum. Again, best of luck!

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Nygrrrl - I wasn't picking on you. At least you said "basically." But I do think it is irresponsible to give advice in forums like this if: (1) the advisee is taking the advice seriously; and (2) the advisor doesn't have sufficient evidence to support his or her claims. The OP's responses, above, suggest he is taking the advice given here seriously. I don't think there is sufficent evidence because there are so few records of AAs with similar numbers applying to Fordham.

Of course, the evidence might be enough to support the claim that it is unlikely the OP will be accepted. But people have been saying "no chance." If the OP has, for example, a 20% chance, it might be worth his applying, since even if he is rejected, he can apply again next cycle with a higher LSAT. If he is rejected, he wastes some money and experiences short-term dissapointment, but it might be worth risking those costs for a 20% chance of getting in a year early.

In many cases, one can make "no chance" claims on boards like this with sufficient evidence. If the OP was a non-URM college senior with the same numbers, that is exactly what everyone should say. But the URM is in a fairly unusual situation.

Also, nygrrl: you mention you are at Fordham. If that gives you information the rest of us don't have, you should share the information - with the OP at least.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:18 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Also, nygrrl: you mention you are at Fordham. If that gives you information the rest of us don't have, you should share the information - with the OP at least.

:lol: Phil, are you trying to imply that I'm withholding vital information? Silly rabbit - if it weren't for the fact that you haven't been here very long, I'd think you were trolling me.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:30 pm

nygrrrl wrote: :lol: Phil, are you trying to imply that I'm withholding vital information? Silly rabbit - if it weren't for the fact that you haven't been here very long, I'd think you were trolling me.

LOL. Not quite trolling, but perhaps being a little unnecessarily provocative - it's a fine line.

Although, I was trying to imply a semi-serious point. You mention in your previous post that you are at Fordham. It seems reasonable to assume that the reason why you mention that is because you take it to add credence to your claims about Fordham admissions. But it only adds credence to your claims if you have information the rest of us don't. Of course, it is possible you do have information we don't - perhaps you know URMs at Fordham, and have some idea of their GPAs and LSAT scores. Alternatively, perhaps I am assuming too much. :wink:

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:10 pm

According to Lawschoolpredictor, Fordham PT with your gpa and URM status says 165 for strong consider and 167 for admit, but as far as URMs go, AA is among the strongest (biggest boosts). 168 gets you consider for FT, but there are other schools that are more bad gpa-friendly that you may have a better shot at

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:13 pm

I have a slightly higher GPA and a much better LSAT (170+) and I am a URM (MX/PR). I was waitlisted by Fordham-FT this cycle.

While I'd say an above median LSAT would give you a chance I'd hazard that your chances of acceptance aren't great and that you should be aiming at other schools.

Return to “What are my chances?”