Where Should I ED? No idea.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Where should I apply early decision to?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:31 pm

NYU
28%
Chicago
20%
Michigan
13%
Virginia
23%
Penn
13%
UCLA
5%

Total votes: 40

Theheat633

Where Should I ED? No idea.

Postby Theheat633 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:31 pm

[*]Hi. I have a 168 and 3.95 from a top public. I worked two years in marketing at a fortune 500 but decided it's not the right career for me. I would like to end up doing corporate law at a big firm in California or New York. I am willing to pay full price at the best school I can get into and have 30k in savings and no debt. Where do you think it would be best for me to apply early decision to? Thank you!

sonervous88

Re: Where Should I ED? No idea.

Postby sonervous88 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:47 pm

I mean i personally wouldn't. just apply super super early

Theheat633

Postby Theheat633 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Thank you. I'm leaning towards either NYU or Chicago because it sounds like those are big reaches based on my low LSAT score.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:53 pm

safest bets are MVP, whichever one you like the best. i know a number of people who got WL with those #s at chicago this cycle, haven't heard of any getting in with them

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:55 pm

If you're into working in NY or CA, I voted for NYU simply because I think you would get into UCLA regular decision no problem. Good luck!

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:56 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:safest bets are MVP, whichever one you like the best. i know a number of people who got WL with those #s at chicago this cycle, haven't heard of any getting in with them

This. There were a couple people that got into NYU with your numbers, but they are exceptions to the rule. Oh, and they were all RD to my knowledge. Personally I don't think ED gives you a huge boost at most places. MVP do seem to give a boost to a certain degree, but I don't know if it's worth the lack of flexibility that comes with it.

Theheat633

Postby Theheat633 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:43 am

I just read on another thread that UVA has a late early decision deadline. I think I'm going to apply ED to Chicago and then if i get rejected just apply Ed to UVA in December or so when I hear back. Is this doable? Thanks for the responses so far!

Theheat633

Postby Theheat633 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 pm

Shameless bump.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:16 pm

If you decide to ED to one of MVP you should know that Michigan offers merit and need based aid to ED admits. I'm fairly sure V and P do not offer merit aid to ED admits. Not sure how they handle need based aid.

Edit: ALso, you have a good LSAT score and I would be suprised if you did not get at least one T-14 to bite. But, if you had a better LSAT score you could be looking at serious money at the lower T-14 as well as increased chances at CCN.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:20 pm

I got in ED at UVA this cycle after applying in mid-january. Our GPAs are nearly identical and my LSAT score is a couple points lower. Honestly, I think you'll be in at UVA if you apply super early. If you want to maximize your chances at a great school ED Chicago or NYU, whichever you like better. Don't commit yourself to UVA because there is a slight chance that they may throw a bit of money at you if you include a strong PS.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:21 pm

zephyr36 wrote:I got in ED at UVA this cycle after applying in mid-january. Our GPAs are nearly identical and my LSAT score is a couple points lower. Honestly, I think you'll be in at UVA if you apply super early. If you want to maximize your chances at a great school ED Chicago or NYU, whichever you like better. Don't commit yourself to UVA because there is a slight chance that they may throw a bit of money at you if you include a strong PS.

Are you a VA resident?

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:29 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
zephyr36 wrote:I got in ED at UVA this cycle after applying in mid-january. Our GPAs are nearly identical and my LSAT score is a couple points lower. Honestly, I think you'll be in at UVA if you apply super early. If you want to maximize your chances at a great school ED Chicago or NYU, whichever you like better. Don't commit yourself to UVA because there is a slight chance that they may throw a bit of money at you if you include a strong PS.

Are you a VA resident?

No, sorry should have included that.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:01 pm

I'd try NYU or Chicago because I'm fairly sure you'll get at least one of MVP RD

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:43 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I'd try NYU or Chicago because I'm fairly sure you'll get at least one of MVP RD

It's possible, but not something he should bank on. That being said, NYU and Chicago are not unreasonable ED reaches.

Meerkat Manor

Postby Meerkat Manor » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:52 pm

highly unlikely. the only MVP i could see this person getting $$ at is michigan because they have a lower LSAT median, and it wouldn't be much/probably soft factors would have to be involved

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:03 pm

I got 45K from Michigan with your exact numbers OP (and applied early decision). I would only apply early decision at a school if you are really sure that it is the right school for you. I went back and forth between going ED to Michigan / Chicago / and NYU until I visited them and then it was an easy choice. If I had known I was a candidate for $ I wouldn't have gone Michigan ED either but they gave it to me anyway. If you are going to go ED visit the schools in the fall first so you don't end up making a bad choice. I was really leaning Chicago beforehand and wouldn't have been as happy going there (though I probably wouldn't have known it).

Brock2010

Postby Brock2010 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:15 pm

I would advise against EDing anywhere bro. You'll basically be forfeiting any possible merit aid if you get in. I know right now you think you need to give yourself the best shot at getting into a top school but you need to keep your options (and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) open.

Theheat633

Postby Theheat633 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Thing is Id be elated to pay sticker at chicago or NYU. I'm a pretty hard worker (though I'm sure everyone is at the level) and am not that debt adverse. I've pretty much ruled out MVP ED to keep my shot at B open.

Down to C and N. I like both equally. Is any one more willing than the other to overlook my low LSAT score ED? I've heard chi might be a better bet bc I went to Berkeley and they seem to favor prestigious UGs. But I also have some solid community service/ leadership exp in addition to my marketing job that NYU seems to like--coupled w the fact that they have a larger class. Ugh

Return to “What are my chances?”