How would you rank the T14 in terms of NYC job prospects? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Diamond

Re: How would you rank the T14 in terms of NYC job prospects?

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:25 pm

cornellbeez wrote:Did any of the posters in here actually bid on New York at OCI?...

If I had to guess, I'd say

HYS
Columbia/NYU (half the summer associate classes I know about at NY firms are from Columbia/NYU) and half the people I interviewed with were from CN
Chicago (to be honest, I'm not sure if it has placement power in NY in particular, I didn't meet anyone from Chicago, but it has good biglaw prospects and has a super tiny class)
Penn
Michigan/Virginia/Cornell
Duke/Northwestern
Boalt
Georgetown

Placement power has to do with whether the firm interviews at your school's OCI, so I guess you can look at where firms interview, and GPA cut-offs. Most firms will not interview candidates outside of OCI unless you have super special factors, like military experience or are top 10%. (This is why Boalt is ranked low on the list.) As for Georgetown, it's too big and has rampant grade inflation to really differentiate among candidates. Every firm is different though.
While the number of firms interviewing is important, you have to consider the size of the firms summer class, and how many students at the school are bidding NYC.

Schools like Duke get all the larger firms, so it doesn't really matter a few smaller ones don't come because it's a smaller school and much less of the class wants NYC.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:04 am

dooood wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
Generally the same as for anything else, but within bands of schools that tie often in the rankings, move the geographically close ones to the top. I won't be drawn into fight about exactly what order, but something similar to this:

YH
SCN
Chi.
PNMVBC
DG
Wait, Harvard and Yale tied? NYU=Columbia? Penn/UVA lumped in with Berkeley and NU (a Chicago school)? NU ahead of Duke?

Yale
Harvard
Stanford / Columbia
NYU / Chicago
Penn
UVA
Cornell / Michigan
Berkeley
Duke
Georgetown
Northwestern

NLJ 250 statistics combined with school prestige combined with location and some other facts pulled out of my ass.
No difference btw MVP in ability to place in New York
Then why does Michigan consistently have shittier employment statistics than the other two, lower NLJ 250 placement, and fewer people reporting their salary on lawschooltransparency.com?

dooood

Bronze

Post by dooood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:14 am

niederbomb wrote:
dooood wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
Generally the same as for anything else, but within bands of schools that tie often in the rankings, move the geographically close ones to the top. I won't be drawn into fight about exactly what order, but something similar to this:

YH
SCN
Chi.
PNMVBC
DG
Wait, Harvard and Yale tied? NYU=Columbia? Penn/UVA lumped in with Berkeley and NU (a Chicago school)? NU ahead of Duke?

Yale
Harvard
Stanford / Columbia
NYU / Chicago
Penn
UVA
Cornell / Michigan
Berkeley
Duke
Georgetown
Northwestern

NLJ 250 statistics combined with school prestige combined with location and some other facts pulled out of my ass.
No difference btw MVP in ability to place in New York
Then why does Michigan consistently have shittier employment statistics than the other two, lower NLJ 250 placement, and fewer people reporting their salary on lawschooltransparency.com?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:15 am

HYS
CN
CP
C
MVDN
G

Oops
Last edited by FiveSermon on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

dooood

Bronze

Post by dooood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 am

FiveSermon wrote:HYS
CN
CP
C
MVPDN
G
Yeah, Pepperdine does pretty well in NY

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”