How would you rank the T14 in terms of NYC job prospects?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BrookNon

How would you rank the T14 in terms of NYC job prospects?

Postby BrookNon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:28 am

T14 order for someone definitely remaining in NYC for rest of career?

DeSimone

Re: How would you rank the T14 in terms of NYC job prospects?

Postby DeSimone » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:29 am

BrookNon wrote:T14 order for someone definitely remaining in NYC for rest of career?

Fordham
Y
H
S

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:24 am

Generally the same as for anything else, but within bands of schools that tie often in the rankings, move the geographically close ones to the top. I won't be drawn into fight about exactly what order, but something similar to this:

YH
SCN
Chi.
PNMVBC
DG

abl

Postby abl » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:37 am

The real question is how low in the class can you be and still be competitive for NYC jobs. Based on that, I think it's probably closer to:
YS
H
CCN
...the rest of the T14 as expected.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:43 am

Y
HS
C
N
Chi
MVPDCN
BG

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:28 pm

Renzo wrote:Generally the same as for anything else, but within bands of schools that tie often in the rankings, move the geographically close ones to the top. I won't be drawn into fight about exactly what order, but something similar to this:

YH
SCN
Chi.
PNMVBC
DG

+1

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Based on actual placement into the region, I believe it's something like this:

Columbia/NYU/Penn/Cornell
Harvard/Yale
Stanford/Boalt/Chicago/Michigan/Virginia/Duke/Northwestern/GULC

Based on actual placement power into the region, it's probably something like this:

HYS
CN
Chi
Everyone else

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Generally the same as for anything else, but within bands of schools that tie often in the rankings, move the geographically close ones to the top. I won't be drawn into fight about exactly what order, but something similar to this:

YH
SCN
Chi.
PNMVBC
DG

Wait, Harvard and Yale tied? NYU=Columbia? Penn/UVA lumped in with Berkeley and NU (a Chicago school)? NU ahead of Duke?

Yale
Harvard
Stanford / Columbia
NYU / Chicago
Penn
UVA
Cornell / Michigan
Berkeley
Duke
Georgetown
Northwestern

NLJ 250 statistics combined with school prestige combined with location and some other facts pulled out of my ass.

mleibman

Postby mleibman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:25 pm

NYC big law really likes the Ivy Leagues, but there are also a lot of west coast schools that place fairly well amongst the T14 competition, such as UCLA (large NYC presence at OCI in past) and obviously Stanford. Fordham also has a strong alumni connection, and I know a lot of people out here on Long Island that work big law and graduated Fordham. Not sure how OCI has been recently in the economy, but Fordham fairs pretty well amongst the T14 competition, especially if you graduate top 15%.

dooood

Postby dooood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:31 pm

niederbomb wrote:

YH
SCN
Chi.
PNMVBC
DG

Wait, Harvard and Yale tied? NYU=Columbia? Penn/UVA lumped in with Berkeley and NU (a Chicago school)? NU ahead of Duke?

Yale
Harvard
Stanford / Columbia
NYU / Chicago
Penn
UVA
Cornell / Michigan
Berkeley
Duke
Georgetown
Northwestern

NLJ 250 statistics combined with school prestige combined with location and some other facts pulled out of my ass.

No difference btw MVP in ability to place in New York

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:32 pm

dooood wrote:No difference btw MVP in ability to place in New York

Proof?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:33 pm

niederbomb wrote:

YH
SCN
Chi.
PNMVBC
DG

Yale
Harvard
Stanford / Columbia
NYU / Chicago
Penn
UVA
Cornell / Michigan
Berkeley
Duke
Georgetown
Northwestern

I give you props for good effort, but you'll have to try harder if you want me to bite.

Renzo wrote: I won't be drawn into fight about exactly what order

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:37 pm

YS
H
CCN
Rest of T13
Gtown

Penn and Cornell might have a slight edge over the rest of the T13 but who knows. Each firm weighs this different. How well you plan your bidlist is probably more important.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:41 pm

I'm really shocked that so few people put Penn ahead of the schools outside of HYS and CCN. I would give them more credit than that. From what I've seen their reputation in NYC is almost as good as NYU's, and it certainly seems better than Michigan, UVA, and Berkeley's in NYC. I'm not interested in NYC biglaw, but if I was I would definitely rather be at Penn than here.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Honestly, this whole debate is pretty stupid, particularly when we try to micromanage the placement distinctions between individual schools or groups of schools. We would need far, far more information (including complete employment data, and more evidence regarding self-selection) to even have a worthwhile discussion of these differences.

The best we can do: if you go to HYS, you're probably gonna be all right; if you attend CN (and maybe Chi), you might have some advantage over the rest of the T14; if you attend another T14, the placement difference in NYC between your school and another non-T6 T14 is so small, so prone to fluctuation, and so hard to correctly determine that it's not even worth it.

The one big difference: proximity to NYC may give you a leg-up in terms of networking and NYC firms at OCI, but it's difficult to determine the effect of this advantage when it comes to hiring.

dooood

Postby dooood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:46 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

Proof?

They're just about always viewed as peer schools, so the rebuttable presumption (sorry, lame LS analogy) would be that they are and it'd be up to you to "prove" that they're not. Aside from that, US News' firm reputation score (which is largely NY-centric) has these schools ranked similarly (M=4.7; P=4.4; V=4.6). Being that we're talking about placement power and not actual placement, which is largely affected by self-selection, I can't see any better metric to reveal placement power than what firms think about the students they're hiring.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:51 pm

dooood wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Proof?

They're just about always viewed as peer schools, so the rebuttable presumption (sorry, lame LS analogy) would be that they are and it'd be up to you to "prove" that they're not. Aside from that, US News' firm reputation score (which is largely NY-centric) has these schools ranked similarly (M=4.7; P=4.4; V=4.6). Being that we're talking about placement power and not actual placement, which is largely affected by self-selection, I can't see any better metric to reveal placement power than what firms think about the students they're hiring.

I asked for proof, not a hypothesis.

It's silly to deny that Penn has an edge in NYC, just as Michigan has an edge in Chicago and Virginia has an edge in DC. Yes, this partially has to do with self-selection, but years and years of self-selection lead to differences in OCI recruiters and alumni networks. I will admit that this difference is not huge, but it is big enough to warrant choosing one school over the other when costs are equal.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:52 pm

dooood wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Proof?

One way would be to find firm GPA cut offs and compare (after accounting for different curves).

dooood

Postby dooood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:58 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
dooood wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Proof?

I asked for proof, not a hypothesis.

It's silly to deny that Penn has an edge in NYC, just as Michigan has an edge in Chicago and Virginia has an edge in DC. Yes, this partially has to do with self-selection, but years and years of self-selection lead to differences in OCI recruiters and alumni networks. I will admit that this difference is not huge, but it is big enough to warrant choosing one school over the other when costs are equal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_ridicule

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:00 pm

:roll:

Take DF's suggestion and prove me wrong, then. I don't mind learning new things, but forgive me for trusting the wisdom of law students who have been through and are going through the process over you.

dooood

Postby dooood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dooood wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Proof?

One way would be to find firm GPA cut offs and compare (after accounting for different curves).

Yes, that's true. Based on the info we have, though, I don't see any difference between MVPDCN in ability to place into NY. G is probably slightly below, and B doesn't seem to hold as much water in NY as it does on the West Coast.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:02 pm

dooood wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
dooood wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Proof?

Yes, that's true. Based on the info we have, though, I don't see any difference between MVPDCN in ability to place into NY. G is probably slightly below, and B doesn't seem to hold as much water in NY as it does on the West Coast.

I think a lot of firms wrote Boalt off because their students just wouldn't accept offers in NYC.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Did any of the posters in here actually bid on New York at OCI?...

If I had to guess, I'd say

HYS
Columbia/NYU (half the summer associate classes I know about at NY firms are from Columbia/NYU) and half the people I interviewed with were from CN
Chicago (to be honest, I'm not sure if it has placement power in NY in particular, I didn't meet anyone from Chicago, but it has good biglaw prospects and has a super tiny class)
Penn
Michigan/Virginia/Cornell
Duke/Northwestern
Boalt
Georgetown

Placement power has to do with whether the firm interviews at your school's OCI, so I guess you can look at where firms interview, and GPA cut-offs. Most firms will not interview candidates outside of OCI unless you have super special factors, like military experience or are top 10%. (This is why Boalt is ranked low on the list.) As for Georgetown, it's too big and has rampant grade inflation to really differentiate among candidates. Every firm is different though.
Last edited by cornellbeez on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dooood

Postby dooood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 pm

-
Last edited by dooood on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm

dooood wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

:roll:

Take DF's suggestion and prove me wrong, then. I don't mind learning new things, but forgive me for trusting the wisdom of law students who have been through and are going through the process over you.

I have been "through the process." I'm a 3L at MVP and summered in biglaw in New York. Valuing my or DF's opinion because either of us has been "through the process" would be another fallacy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority. Look, if you have any better info than the firm rep scores, I'm all ears. The only fact you've pointed to is that "Penn is closer to NY, so it's stronger there." The firms coming to OCI at these three schools are the same, and any "networking" you think you'll be doing on the weekends during 1L is negligible.

I appreciate your demeaning efforts to school me on logical fallacies.

And FWIW, I'm not going for NYC, anyway.

Return to “What are my chances?”