Where do I need to score? chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AffirmedHope

Where do I need to score? chances?

Postby AffirmedHope » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:51 pm

Hi everyone first post! I currently go to a small school in Mid-Missouri and I plan on applying to law schools in Fall 2011. I currently have a 3.4 GPA (with another semester to go, so it can go up or down) and plan on taking the LSAT this year. Now, my current reach school is NYU, what would I need to score on the LSAT? My school is very small, and not at all prestigious, so I assume that I would need to score in the mid to high 170's.

While my school may not be very well known, I did manage to land and complete an overseas internship with the State Department this last fall, and get some great letters of reference. Will this give a bit of "forgiveness" for not being from a "big name school?"

As for EC's I have competed and placed at horse shows on the national level (show jumping) and done mock trial (go ahead, laugh!) Between work (the horse shows are expensive!) and school I haven't had much time for much else.

I was also born in a different country, so would diversity be a factor for me also.

While I would love to go to NYU, I know the chances are slim and I have picked some other schools to apply to like Villanova, Temple University, Drexel (my family lives in Philly), Syracuse, Penn State and Tulane. What about my chances and score requirements for those?

Thanks! :D
Last edited by AffirmedHope on Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

firemed

Re: Where do I need to score? chances?

Postby firemed » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:58 pm

Are you URM?

If not for NYU you'll need a 173 or above. And that assumes your GPA doesn't drop when LSDAS does your GPA. It is a very long shot. On the other hand, if you get a great score, it would be worth applying.

For the rest of your schools, may I recommend:

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

ETA: Your schools reputation means nothing provided it is a real regionally accredited school. All law schools really care about is LSAT score + GPA. Other factors such as felonies, lack of a degree, a truly awful PS, etc. can make a difference. But basically if your LSAT and GPA are above median for a school you are good to go.

AffirmedHope

Postby AffirmedHope » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:45 pm

I do not believe that I am a URM, but will applying for early decision increase my chances as well?

Thanks for the link to the predictor!

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:40 pm

AffirmedHope wrote:I do not believe that I am a URM, but will applying for early decision increase my chances as well?

Thanks for the link to the predictor!

Yes it will, for that one school. However ED to a school insures you will not receive a merit scholarship there. They know they have you. There is an excellent article on this available on this site.

So you'll have to decide what is more important: attending at full price at a better school, or attending at a lower price (or even free) at a less prestigious school.

Also, it might be worth your time to read all the articles under admissions (check the tabs at the top there) and then look through the FAQ thread under admissions. 90% of your questions can be answered that way.

rolandgill

Postby rolandgill » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:26 am

Don't worry, law schools generally don't care what your undergraduate degree is in. I just graduated from law school in May and my undergrad was in business, but I had classmates who had majored in political science, engineering, journalism, nursing, religion, and tons of others I'm sure.

Most law schools are going to look primarily at your undergraduate GPA/class rank, your LSAT score, and your personal statement. Your GPA is good, so no problem there. Find a good prep program for the LSAT or at least buy an LSAT prep book and start working practice tests in your spare time. Beyond that, the only thing I would recommend is that you keep doing volunteer work and maybe try to get some leadership experience in an organization or club that you can put on your application as well. The volunteer work and leadership will help you come across as a well rounded student.

I don't think you'll have any trouble getting into a great law school and you don't need to hang around an extra year to do it.

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:48 am

AffirmedHope wrote:Hi everyone first post! I currently go to a small school in Mid-Missouri and I plan on applying to law schools in Fall 2011. I currently have a 3.4 GPA (with another semester to go, so it can go up or down) and plan on taking the LSAT this year. Now, my current reach school is NYU, what would I need to score on the LSAT? My school is very small, and not at all prestigious, so I assume that I would need to score in the mid to high 170's.

While my school may not be very well known, I did manage to land and complete an overseas internship with the State Department this last fall, and get some great letters of reference. Will this give a bit of "forgiveness" for not being from a "big name school?"

As for EC's I have competed and placed at horse shows on the national level (show jumping) and done mock trial (go ahead, laugh!) Between work (the horse shows are expensive!) and school I haven't had much time for much else.

I was also born in a different country, so would diversity be a factor for me also.

While I would love to go to NYU, I know the chances are slim and I have picked some other schools to apply to like Villanova, Temple University, Drexel (my family lives in Philly), Syracuse, Penn State and Tulane. What about my chances and score requirements for those?

Thanks! :D

http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/

Follow this link and check out what your gpa really is. It might be much different from the gpa listed at your school. Remember that if you received an F or D in a class and then took it again to obtain an A or B, the F or D still counts towards your law school GPA. I've seen people on here with a 3.8 school gpa, but according to law school admissions, their gpa was more like a 3.3. My GPA right now is around a 3.6, but because I took a class that I didn't drop before the withdraw deadline, my GPA as far as law school concerned is actually lower.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily worry about getting a certain score just to get accepted to certain schools. Aim for as high as possible and then once you receive your score, worry about what schools to apply to.

bmore

Postby bmore » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:54 am

Not to be negative, but a 3.4 is not really good for top 14 unless the LSAT is verrrrry high. It is below 25% for almost all. Work hard to raise it and do well on LSAT. Then ED if you are sure you want to go there at full price.

Return to “What are my chances?”