Applying After the Deadline

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AtticusFinch2014

Applying After the Deadline

Postby AtticusFinch2014 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi,

I have a unique scenario that I wanted to get some opinions on. A friend of mine hasn't been able to find a job so yesterday he randomly decided that maybe he should go to law school. And as ridiculous and last minute as it sounds I began to wonder if he would actually have a shot at getting in somewhere. As of right now, the deadline for most schools was 3/15, however he would be applying to schools that have extended their deadline. (In this case, 4/15) With that said, I know he has a 3.3 GPA, yet he hasn't taken the LSAT exam.

I was under the impression that February was the final exam, however he claims that he called some schools and they told him they would wait for his June LSAT score. Is this even possible?

If it is possible, he would have to acquire two letters of recommendation, write a personal statement, and get all his applications done in 15 days right? In addition, he would only have two months to study for the LSAT if he began now. Is there some sort of ridiculously extended deadline I'm not aware of? I just don't understand how this is even possible, let alone realistic.

I'd really appreciate some input on this scenario.

Cupidity

Re: Applying After the Deadline

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:01 pm

The schools that will admit someone with a 3.3 GPA based on a June LSAT score aren't the kind of schools worth attending. For his financial integrity, I suggest he spend the year unemployed rather than end up at one of these schools. Being broke, and being in crippling debt, are two very different things.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Cupidity wrote:The schools that will admit someone with a 3.3 GPA based on a June LSAT score aren't the kind of schools worth attending. For his financial integrity, I suggest he spend the year unemployed rather than end up at one of these schools. Being broke, and being in crippling debt, are two very different things.

TITCR

EDIT: Also, many schools will take more applications just to be able to reject more people and boost their selectivity. So they don't care what you submit at that point, they just want to stamp you out. Lastly, what is it with everyone on here asking questions for "their friend?" Can these people not use the internet themselves or is this the same "friend" that keeps needing you to call the Y to see when the AA meetings are?

AtticusFinch2014

Postby AtticusFinch2014 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Haha, I honestly just want to know if anyone thinks this is possible. There's only so many law school applicants at my school that I could ask, and I'm really just curious.

brose

Postby brose » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:22 pm

AtticusFinch2014 wrote:Haha, I honestly just want to know if anyone thinks this is possible. There's only so many law school applicants at my school that I could ask, and I'm really just curious.

Yes, it is possible. There are some schools who will let him in during August in order to secure his 120k.

AtticusFinch2014

Postby AtticusFinch2014 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:30 pm

So it's actually possible to apply right before the extended deadline and then take the June LSAT and enroll in August?

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:37 pm

AtticusFinch2014 wrote:So it's actually possible to apply right before the extended deadline and then take the June LSAT and enroll in August?

To a horrible law school, yes.

AtticusFinch2014

Postby AtticusFinch2014 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 am

Horrible Law School meaning an unaccredited law school or a T4?

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:42 pm

AtticusFinch2014 wrote:Horrible Law School meaning an unaccredited law school or a T4?

Probably Cooley, maybe TJLS.

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:15 pm

AtticusFinch2014 wrote:Horrible Law School meaning an unaccredited law school or a T4?

Horrible meaning that, upon graduation (if he even decides to stick around that long), your friend will still be unable to find a job--he'll just have 120K+ debt in tow.

hth.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:56 pm

When I took my LSAT prep course last April/May, most of the students were still planning on taking the June LSAT and applying to Pace for fall of 2010. Many of them had completed their apps and were just waiting on an LSAT score. So it's possible, but I wouldn't say its a good idea.

Return to “What are my chances?”