Grab Penn $$ and run or wait a year to ED Chicago?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Take Penn or wait to ED to Chicago?

Postby niederbomb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:44 am

dukey wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
glewz wrote:
niederbomb wrote:I think having an extra year of WE post-negative incident, waiting for the economy to improve, and picking a school that has a higher NLJ 250 placement AND superior public interest options/LRAP is well worth the wait. I also want to work in Asia/Singapore, and school name is a huge deal when it comes to portability.


Regardless of your retake, I think it's totally worth it to weather the economic storm/get 1 more year WE (& possibly mitigate those negatives). You have a decent shot at U of C ED & would likely have results for other schools that are at least as good as the ones you have right now.


Is Chicago at sticker worth more than Penn with 58K (+ unknown need-based)?


It's about the same - TBH, really depends on your personal preference. For me, yes, it would be worth more than 58k Penn. (Chicago environment vs. Philadelphia, Penn students don't have a shot at the markets U of C would open up, international recognition, etc.)


My main hesitation is that my current and projected WE is probably not what top schools are used to, and I don't see that changing. My EC's in UG were pretty decent; however, the longer I'm out, the more the effect fades. My work in Asia is somewhat above English teaching but significantly below the big-shot Fortune 500/Fulbright, etc. experience many of my peers applying to the same schools are accumulating. With my bad moral record, useless major (History), undergraduate institution (Christian college), and lack of connections, I don't see that changing anytime soon. I could return to the USA and wait tables for a year (lulz). Realistically, I'm not leaving Asia till I land a game-changer (like attending an Ivy League law school).

Basically, if I can't do anything significant in the next year, won't I be in a worse position than than I am now? I don't want to strike out at U of C ED next year, then somehow not get Penn again, and end up holding a small bag with UCLA in it.

One thing I could do is try to get a job with a nonprofit teaching English or sustainable farming to "minorities" in Yunnan Province (China) or Tibet. And then pick up a Diploma for Graduates from the External London School of Economics on the side (you know, to connect to U of C's "Law and Economics").

I don't know if that kind of experience is "significant" enough for top schools for someone 4 years out of college, but I honestly can't think of anything better at the moment.

And, of course, there's always the chance that a June retake could yield a 166 or something.

Seriously, any advice is much appreciated. I'm running out of time to decide.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Grab Penn $$ and run or wait a year to ED Chicago?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:54 am

I say go with Penn unless you have a real reason waiting beyond just wanting to have a shot at a "better" school. If your goal high profile job prospects, Penn is only marginally worse than HYSCC. I'm unsure as to why you would pay full price for Chicago when you have about $60K at Penn.

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Grab Penn $$ and run or wait a year to ED Chicago?

Postby 83947368 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:25 pm

.
Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Grab Penn $$ and run or wait a year to ED Chicago?

Postby niederbomb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Just got a ton of need-based aid from Penn!!!

I guess they made my decision for me. $120K COA debt is probably serviceable on a salary of $50,000/year, providing one lives like a pauper and gets regular raises, should it come to that.

I like the east coast better anyhow, even though it's hard to give up the prospect of Chicago prestige. Thanks everyone!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest