[Splitter] ED chances to Columbia / NYU / Penn / Michigan

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Where should I ED?

Columbia
5%
NYU
20%
Penn
24%
Michigan
24%
You are aiming too high...
20%
Don't ED
7%

Total votes: 41

subtle

Re: [Splitter] ED chances to Columbia / NYU / Penn / Michigan

Postby subtle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Do not retake. It won't help.

WORDS HERETOFORE UNHEARD BEFORE ARE SPOKEN

:lol:

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:08 pm

Columbia is out. NYU is probably out also. Penn/Michigan ED is the way to go.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:11 pm

I think CLS/NYU are extreme long shots, even with ED. That said, I do think for those schools in particular retaking your LSAT and getting a 175+ might help. Both of those schools are usually only willing to dip below the 25th percentile GPA wise if the applicant has a 175+ because its at or above their 75th percentile. As stupid as it sounds, with your 174 you stand almost no chance, but with a 175 or 176 you at least have a glimmer of hope. Unfortunately the increased score won't really help you (and could possibly hurt you given you already have a 174) at any other schools and the chances of CLS/NYU are still pretty low.

That said, I would definitely put a lot of effort into an addendum explaining your bad semester. It's so far from your other semesters that if you have a good reason it might help a little bit.

Scott Tenorman

Postby Scott Tenorman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:48 pm

OP, are you just finishing up your junior year this spring? If so, spend the summer taking easy classes and work your ass off next year. ED to wherever you really want to go and if you don't make it be willing to try again a year later.

legaleagle9

Postby legaleagle9 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:19 am

guys, sorry to sound stupid but I am really new to this: What exactly is an ED, what does it do, how does it help, ect.

thank you

mst

Postby mst » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:39 am

legaleagle9 wrote:guys, sorry to sound stupid but I am really new to this: What exactly is an ED, what does it do, how does it help, ect.

thank you

ED is Early Decision. It's an option that many schools offer that requires you to attend if you are admitted as well as withdraw from any other schools applications immediately. Typically, it demonstrates that you are very committed to the school, and it guarantees them an applicant that will attend, as well as pay sticker. However, it's only really useful to people on the borderline. People who have absolutely no shot are just wasting their time.

Don't use it without really considering that you will be paying sticker and giving up scholarship offers at other schools. So yeah.

legaleagle9

Postby legaleagle9 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:48 am

mst wrote:
legaleagle9 wrote:guys, sorry to sound stupid but I am really new to this: What exactly is an ED, what does it do, how does it help, ect.

thank you

ED is Early Decision. It's an option that many schools offer that requires you to attend if you are admitted as well as withdraw from any other schools applications immediately. Typically, it demonstrates that you are very committed to the school, and it guarantees them an applicant that will attend, as well as pay sticker. However, it's only really useful to people on the borderline. People who have absolutely no shot are just wasting their time.

Don't use it without really considering that you will be paying sticker and giving up scholarship offers at other schools. So yeah.

Oh I see. Thanks alot for the reply and the useful information!

Return to “What are my chances?”