Above median LSAT, below median gpa?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Easy-E

Above median LSAT, below median gpa?

Postby Easy-E » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:56 pm

This is more of general question, not concerning one school in particular. If my GPA falls below a schools range, am I correct to assume you would then need to be above the schools LSAT range in order to be a strong candidate? Or is having an exceptional (by the schools standard) LSAT score not enough to mitigate being below the GPA range.

Say if a schools 25-75th percentiles for GPA and LSAT are 3.55-3.8 and 166-169 respectively. Would a 3.35 and a 173+ make you a strong candidate? On a side note, those are the stats for Cornell, but my question doesn't just regard the one school.

FiveSermon

Re: Above median LSAT, below median gpa?

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Depends on the school really. With those numbers you wouldn't particularly be a "strong" or "weak" candidate. I wouldn't be surprised if you went one way or the other. It's hard to predict as a splitter at schools unless you ED or the school is known for being friendly to splitters.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:05 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Depends on the school really. With those numbers you wouldn't particularly be a "strong" or "weak" candidate. I wouldn't be surprised if you went one way or the other. It's hard to predict as a splitter at schools unless you ED or the school is known for being friendly to splitters.

Hmmm so its just an average really. What are some schools that known to be friendly to splitters? Or do you just mean the schools that have a higher LSAT and relatively lower GPA? It seems like applying as a splitter can really be a crapshoot :(
Last edited by Easy-E on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Check out LSN (it's really a great resource for figuring out chances of admission). You'll notice that some schools are fine with splitters, while others seem to have GPA floors.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:17 pm

forty-two wrote:Check out LSN (it's really a great resource for figuring out chances of admission). You'll notice that some schools are fine with splitters, while others seem to have GPA floors.

Thanks for the tip, checking it out now!

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:24 pm

TCR is ED to UVa

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:28 pm

emarxnj wrote:
forty-two wrote:Check out LSN (it's really a great resource for figuring out chances of admission). You'll notice that some schools are fine with splitters, while others seem to have GPA floors.

EDIT: Very interesting site...but is the information on here validated somehow?

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:30 pm

bhan87 wrote:TCR is ED to UVa

I don't get it.

On sidenote, is there anyway to multi-quote on here?

ldo5014

Postby ldo5014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:24 pm

emarxnj wrote:

I don't get it.

The correct response is early decision to University of Virginia. It seems to be a bit of a joke on TLS. The typical conversation goes as follows:

A: My stats are X.XX GPA and YYY LSAT. What are my chances at School One?
B: Oh, you probably won't get into School One. You should just ED to UVA. Everyone gets into UVA if you want ED. Also, that's probably your only shot at a T14. And everyone knows that a T14 is the only chance anyone has at landing a job in BigLaw, which is what everyone wants. Everyone.
A: But I have work experience.
B: Oh, ED Northwestern.
A: O_o

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:44 pm

ldo5014 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

I don't get it.

The correct response is early decision to University of Virginia. It seems to be a bit of a joke on TLS. The typical conversation goes as follows:

A: My stats are X.XX GPA and YYY LSAT. What are my chances at School One?
B: Oh, you probably won't get into School One. You should just ED to UVA. Everyone gets into UVA if you want ED. Also, that's probably your only shot at a T14. And everyone knows that a T14 is the only chance anyone has at landing a job in BigLaw, which is what everyone wants. Everyone.
A: But I have work experience.
B: Oh, ED Northwestern.
A: O_o

Haha ohh gotcha

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 am

Generally, schools value the LSAT far more than they value GPA. But a lot of schools do have GPA floors. For instance, Columbia certainly cares more about your LSAT than your GPA but if your GPA is below a 3.5 you are going to have a tough time with any LSAT score. Or for UVA, they often take splitters with LSAT scores above their median and GPA's down to 3.0 with ED, but once your GPA dips into the 2.x range your chances greatly diminish. It really depends on the school, honestly.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:55 am

Patriot1208 wrote:Generally, schools value the LSAT far more than they value GPA. But a lot of schools do have GPA floors. For instance, Columbia certainly cares more about your LSAT than your GPA but if your GPA is below a 3.5 you are going to have a tough time with any LSAT score. Or for UVA, they often take splitters with LSAT scores above their median and GPA's down to 3.0 with ED, but once your GPA dips into the 2.x range your chances greatly diminish. It really depends on the school, honestly.

Yeah looking at LSN (which is obviously a limited survey since its voluntary) it seems like certain GPAs just aren't going to be accepted. My GPA isn't terrible, sitting at 3.35, although not highly competitive. I'm taking to the LSAT materials quickly though and attacking it like my life depends on it...oh wait it does :) Its nice to look LSN and see people getting accepted to schools like Cornell and UPenn with GPAs similar to mine.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:03 am

emarxnj wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Generally, schools value the LSAT far more than they value GPA. But a lot of schools do have GPA floors. For instance, Columbia certainly cares more about your LSAT than your GPA but if your GPA is below a 3.5 you are going to have a tough time with any LSAT score. Or for UVA, they often take splitters with LSAT scores above their median and GPA's down to 3.0 with ED, but once your GPA dips into the 2.x range your chances greatly diminish. It really depends on the school, honestly.

Yeah looking at LSN (which is obviously a limited survey since its voluntary) it seems like certain GPAs just aren't going to be accepted. My GPA isn't terrible, sitting at 3.35, although not highly competitive. I'm taking to the LSAT materials quickly though and attacking it like my life depends on it...oh wait it does :) Its nice to look LSN and see people getting accepted to schools like Cornell and UPenn with GPAs similar to mine.

With a 3.35 you are basically shut out of the top6. You have shots at everything below that (except for probably berk) with the requisite LSAT but that means you have to score very high on the LSAT.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:08 am

emarxnj wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

EDIT: Very interesting site...but is the information on here validated somehow?

I applied to 12 or 13 schools. I plotted my numbers on the lsn charts. They pretty much matched perfectly with where I got rejected/wait-listed/Accepted. I don't know about statistics or w/e, but they seem to be a fairly valid sample.

In other words, if you plot your numbers, and there is a green where you are, or even better, a sea of green, you are very likely to get in.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:31 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

With a 3.35 you are basically shut out of the top6. You have shots at everything below that (except for probably berk) with the requisite LSAT but that means you have to score very high on the LSAT.

Yeah this is what I figured about. Cornell is my big reach, since I'm sort of limiting myself to the NY tri-state area, plus UConn. I threw UPenn in there because I saw a few accepted on LSN, but again, I'd need an exceptional LSAT. But again, this is all slightly premature, since I haven't even taken the LSAT! Obviously I'm dedicating myself to getting an excellent LSAT score though, which seems to be the big dealmaker with a lower-end LSAT like mine.

Is there anywhere on LSN to see whether an accepted applicantion is URM or anything?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:52 am

emarxnj wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Yeah this is what I figured about. Cornell is my big reach, since I'm sort of limiting myself to the NY tri-state area, plus UConn. I threw UPenn in there because I saw a few accepted on LSN, but again, I'd need an exceptional LSAT. But again, this is all slightly premature, since I haven't even taken the LSAT! Obviously I'm dedicating myself to getting an excellent LSAT score though, which seems to be the big dealmaker with a lower-end LSAT like mine.

Is there anywhere on LSN to see whether an accepted applicantion is URM or anything?

Come back and ask again after you have an lsat score.

/thread

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:54 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Come back and ask again after you have an lsat score.

/thread

Fair enough. Just to be clear, this wasn't meant to be a "what are my chances" thread. I just wanted to know whats even possible with my GPA, because it affects certain things I need to do now (ex. whether I need >2 letters of rec)

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Fair enough.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:54 pm

emarxnj wrote:Is there anywhere on LSN to see whether an accepted applicantion is URM or anything?

When you're looking at a school's graph, if you hover your mouse over each of the dots, (URM) will appear after the username. If you're looking at an individual profile, it's indicated in the personal information section, which is below the list of schools/application dates.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:00 pm

Having a LSAT score above the median or, better yet, the 75th % definitely helps. OP, my GPA was below the 25th % at almost every law school I got into (bad decisions in undergrad) but at every school where my LSAT was above 75% I got in.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Magnolia wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Is there anywhere on LSN to see whether an accepted applicantion is URM or anything?

When you're looking at a school's graph, if you hover your mouse over each of the dots, (URM) will appear after the username. If you're looking at an individual profile, it's indicated in the personal information section, which is below the list of schools/application dates.

Ah I see it now, thanks

HWS08 wrote:Having a LSAT score above the median or, better yet, the 75th % definitely helps. OP, my GPA was below the 25th % at almost every law school I got into (bad decisions in undergrad) but at every school where my LSAT was above 75% I got in.

Yeah, I regret my poor performance in my first two years of school, but c'mon, getting up before noon? What am I, in the army?? But this does answer my initial question, so thank you.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:46 pm

when did ed to uva become a joke?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:36 am

FuManChusco wrote:when did ed to uva become a joke?

When UVA started letting in everyone who who ed'd ?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:50 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:when did ed to uva become a joke?

When UVA started letting in everyone who who ed'd ? early in the cycle with an LSAT or GPA above a median.

Return to “What are my chances?”