To Defer or not to Defer?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TheSteelKid
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi guys and girls,


So being that the 2011-12 school year is right around the corner, I'm pretty stressed out about my law school decisions! I have a 3.25 and a 170 on the Dec. LSAT. I also have a highly ascending GPA.

I am torn bc I want to start law school this fall, but have only gotten into Wash U (90k), Illinois (90k), and GW (0 money). I've been waitlisted at Vanderbilt, Michigan, Northwestern, Virginia, Fordham, UCLA and BU. Am still waiting on Cornell, Georgetown and USC.

Being that I really want to go to school with better NLJ 250 numbers than WUSTL or Illinois in order to secure better employment, do you think it would be wise to defer? If so should I retake the LSAT in June as well? I'm thinking that if I don't start school this fall I will retake in June, and reapply as early as possible for next admissions cycle. Also if I defer I will aim to teach English overseas for the year. What do you guys think? Will waiting significantly increase my acceptance chances at better schools?

Thanks.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:20 pm

don't defer

TheSteelKid
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:24 pm

Very funny Fat Duck....what do other folks say?

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby jrose5 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:26 pm

TheSteelKid wrote:Hi guys and girls,


So being that the 2011-12 school year is right around the corner, I'm pretty stressed out about my law school decisions! I have a 3.25 and a 170 on the Dec. LSAT. I also have a highly ascending GPA.

I am torn bc I want to start law school this fall, but have only gotten into Wash U (90k), Illinois (90k), and GW (0 money). I've been waitlisted at Vanderbilt, Michigan, Northwestern, Virginia, Fordham, UCLA and BU. Am still waiting on Cornell, Georgetown and USC.

Being that I really want to go to school with better NLJ 250 numbers than WUSTL or Illinois in order to secure better employment, do you think it would be wise to defer? If so should I retake the LSAT in June as well? I'm thinking that if I don't start school this fall I will retake in June, and reapply as early as possible for next admissions cycle. Also if I defer I will aim to teach English overseas for the year. What do you guys think? Will waiting significantly increase my acceptance chances at better schools?

Thanks.


The only T14s I think you have a reasonable shot at (to be 100% honest) are UVa and NU, and only if you ED. If you have significant work experience, that will help your chances at NU.
From what I can gather, GPA matters a lot to UCLA, and their median is somewhere around 3.7. It's almost impossible to get off the Michigan waitlist, too, from what I can gather from the Michigan 2010 thread.
Not sure about the rest, though. Can someone else add to this?

TheSteelKid
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:27 pm

You don't think I have a shot at Cornell and Gtown also?.... hmm... and if I defer I would definitely want to improve my LSAT score..

User avatar
sojuteacher
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:53 am

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby sojuteacher » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:32 pm

defer and teach abroad for a year. best decision I've made

TheSteelKid
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:35 pm

sojuteacher wrote:defer and teach abroad for a year. best decision I've made



Where did you teach? Also can I ask you what your numbers are and where you plan on attending? Thanks. you can PM me if you'd like.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:41 pm

OP's numbers shared in earlier posts are cancel/165/170 & 3.25 GPA. Don't defer unless your heart is set on Northwestern.

lurkerlife
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby lurkerlife » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:58 pm

If you're down with sticker, try calling GTown tomorrow and switching your app to ED. Otherwise, wait till this fall and apply early.

And if you want the T14 and are down with sticker, you can coordinate ED applications next year to maximize your chances (ex: ED to UVA on 9/1 ---> decision in 2 weeks; if rejected, ED to GTown on 9/14 ---> decision in 3 weeks; if rejected, ED to UPenn on 10/7.....and so on.).

Good luck.

TheSteelKid
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby TheSteelKid » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:44 pm

So I got rejected to BC and waitlisted at BU and Fordham. However, I applied very late to Fordham (late January) and my applications weren't completed until early January for BU and BC.

Do you think I have any chance with my current numbers (3.25 and 170) of getting a scholarship to BU/BC/Fordham if I reapply? GW has already told me that with my GPA it would be highly difficult.

I really just can't decide it I want to go to Wash U/Illinois or not. I am going to visit both campuses (hopefully) in about 3 weeks but I'd like to have a better chance at a bigger market and don't particularly want to pay sticker anywhere....

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:44 pm

TL;DR.

Just defer.

TheSteelKid
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby TheSteelKid » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:48 pm

ResolutePear wrote:TL;DR.

Just defer.



TL;DR? I dont know what that means.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests