Need Advice

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
puzzledlawstudent
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Need Advice

Postby puzzledlawstudent » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:10 am

Hello, all.

Here's my situation: I got into an upper-20s school. The program was an interesting program where I did not take the LSAT. They gave me a decent, but not near a full ride scholarship.

My GPA is 3.9x (probably going to be a .1-.2 by the end of the semester).

I did more research and I saw that people were getting more money than I was with lower GPAs, but with highLSATs. I'm not sure how well I'll do on the LSAT, in fact, I'm not even sure what's on it. Part of the reason why I did this program was to avoid all that stress. In fact, before I saw the program I wasn't even interested in law.

Here's my dilemma, then. Should I take a year off and take the LSAT (possibly the GRE), in hopes of getting either more money from that same university or to break into the T20 schools? From cursory research, my GPA seems to be around or above the median for most school.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Need Advice

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:26 am

I am really confused

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Need Advice

Postby buckilaw » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:28 am

1. First stop and ask yourself if you want to work in law. Regardless of where you go you will incur a non-trivial amount of debt, so you need to determine if practicing law is important to you.

2. Employment options vary greatly from school to school. Typically, as you go higher in the US News Rankings employment prospects improve. There is much more to it than this but US news gives you a decent idea.

3. Take a practice LSAT and see how you do, compare your score to the median score of schools that interest you. Don't be discouraged if you score low, the test is incredibly learnable; for instance, I improved around 30 scaled points from my first practice test.

4. Take a look at the fine print regarding the program you have been accepted to. Most programs that take undergrads without LSAT's do so in part to boost GPA medians because applicants don't have an LSAT. If you take the LSAT and do poorly you might jeopardize what you already have.

puzzledlawstudent
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby puzzledlawstudent » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:29 am

I will definitely jeopardize what I have - therein lies the dilemma. If I take the LSAT, I won't get the scholly. End of story. Thanks for your advice!

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby bhan87 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:32 am

puzzledlawstudent wrote:Here's my dilemma, then. Should I take a year off and take the LSAT (possibly the GRE), in hopes of getting either more money from that same university or to break into the T20 schools? From cursory research, my GPA seems to be around or above the median for most school.


For most schools? How about all schools except HYS.

I think you're shortchanging yourself by going to a T-20 with that GPA without having TRIED an LSAT.

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby neonx » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:41 am

My advice is: take a gap year. Study hard.

Take the test in June or October. Retake in December if necessary.

Score above 168+ go to a T14 school with that 3.91 or 3.92.

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby DubPoker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:44 am

puzzledlawstudent wrote:Hello, all.

Here's my situation: I got into an upper-20s school. The program was an interesting program where I did not take the LSAT. They gave me a decent, but not near a full ride scholarship.

My GPA is 3.9x (probably going to be a .1-.2 by the end of the semester).

I did more research and I saw that people were getting more money than I was with lower GPAs, but with highLSATs. I'm not sure how well I'll do on the LSAT, in fact, I'm not even sure what's on it. Part of the reason why I did this program was to avoid all that stress. In fact, before I saw the program I wasn't even interested in law.

Here's my dilemma, then. Should I take a year off and take the LSAT (possibly the GRE), in hopes of getting either more money from that same university or to break into the T20 schools? From cursory research, my GPA seems to be around or above the median for most school.


Take a few practice LSAT's and gauge what your actual abilities are. Some people have a lot of trouble with the LSAT. If you can master the LSAT any school is possible, but it sounds like you shoot yourself in the foot if your not a good test taker.

I still can't believe the LSAT isn't a 100% requirement for all schools.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Need Advice

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:44 am

puzzledlawstudent wrote:In fact, before I saw the program I wasn't even interested in law.


I would make sure you really want to be a lawyer before going to law school.

puzzledlawstudent
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby puzzledlawstudent » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:50 am

Yeah, I know. It's something that I have thought about before, but just never got into. The program basically allowed me to be comfortable my senior year, as I had no idea what I wanted to do after. I'm not passionate about law, but I'm not disinterested in it either.

Thanks for your advice everyone, I'd appreciate more! The biggest fear I have is completely being decimated by the LSAT and then ending up worse than I started off. That said, I'd imagine that I'd regret not shooting for something higher down the line.

puzzledlawstudent
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby puzzledlawstudent » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Okay, I took a diagnostic LSAT and received a 163. How much could that improve with studying? Should I consider taking a year off? Thanks!

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby TheOcho » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:58 pm

puzzledlawstudent wrote:I'm not passionate about law, but I'm not disinterested in it either.


Don't go to law school.

Shloime
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby Shloime » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:06 pm

puzzledlawstudent wrote:Okay, I took a diagnostic LSAT and received a 163. How much could that improve with studying? Should I consider taking a year off? Thanks!


With a diagnostic like that, the sky is the limit for both your LSAT score and then law school acceptances. With some practice, you shouldn't have a problem scoring high enough for T14, possibly with nice schollys. I don't think a score that will get you HYS is out of your potential range. If you're serious about law, take a year off. You'll get yourself into a much better school, and you'll have much better scholly options.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby keg411 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:10 pm

OP would have a chance at Berkeley just with the diagnostic score (especially with a GPA over 4.0).

Take a year or so off and try to work at a law firm (as a paralegal, receptionist, etc). See if you like law and study for the LSAT (if you don't like law or don't get a high LSAT score, find something else). I'm pretty sure I know what T20-ish school you are talking about.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Need Advice

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:16 pm

puzzledlawstudent wrote:Okay, I took a diagnostic LSAT and received a 163. How much could that improve with studying? Should I consider taking a year off? Thanks!


If that diagnostic was timed, you should not be satisfied until you get your practice scores consistently into the 170s. With a score in the 170s, you are competitive for better schools and better scholarships than your current position. Start studying and wait a year.

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby DubPoker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:04 pm

puzzledlawstudent wrote:Okay, I took a diagnostic LSAT and received a 163. How much could that improve with studying? Should I consider taking a year off? Thanks!


If that was a legitimate timed (not giving yourself any breaks) diagnostic the sky is your limit. I cold took it and got a 149, I ended up with a 167. Seems like you have what it takes.

puzzledlawstudent
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby puzzledlawstudent » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks, all. I clearly have a big decision ahead of me, haha.

puzzledlawstudent
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby puzzledlawstudent » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Took an actual timed one today and got a 162. The first one was offered through some random website and only contained fifteen minute sections. My weakest portions are in LR/LG, and, from what I understand, those are very improvable.

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: Need Advice

Postby DubPoker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:14 pm

puzzledlawstudent wrote:Took an actual timed one today and got a 162. The first one was offered through some random website and only contained fifteen minute sections. My weakest portions are in LR/LG, and, from what I understand, those are very improvable.


Yes, if you take every LG section ever, you will hardy miss questions if any by the end. They are super learn-able, first read the Powerscore LG Bible, than take some stuff from Atlas like for their pure sequential games.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests