4.0, nothing else. where do I stand?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
miked4386

4.0, nothing else. where do I stand?

Postby miked4386 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:33 pm

I Have a 4.0, with only next fall semester left at large state university, majoring in finance. Went to community college first ( deal breaker?) for a year and got 65 credits 4.0 there (lots of CLEP tests). Been taking 18 credits at university this year- not sure if that helps-hoping to get a 4.0 again this semester.
So, in 2 years of college (1.5 years to date), after this semester, I will have 102 credits, 4.0 GPA. Problem is I have ZERO resume aside from that. No work experience (just little summer jobs like working in restaurants, landscaping). No internships, clubs (I know, huge mistake). Anyway, I was wondering if, given a high LSAT (170+) if I would have a shot at HSYCC straight out of undergrad???
I talked to an advisor at my university and he thinks I may have messed up by graduating so fast and not leaving room for extracurriculars. Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone getting into top schools on a purely numbers only basis? Thanks for any help.

dakatz

Re: 4.0, nothing else. where do I stand?

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Come back when you have an actual LSAT score. All conjecture is meaningless and counterproductive if we aren't talking about real numbers.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:36 pm

I believe Harvard is fairly numbers driven, much more so than Yale / Stanford. Aside from that, given a 170+, you're golden at one of the top 3, and most of the T14.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:36 pm

If you get a 175, apply to HYS.

If you get a 150...bail.

Point being: your GPA is obviously stellar, but no one here can help you all that much without an LSAT score. :)

camelcrema

Postby camelcrema » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:39 pm

0L, so take this all with a grain of salt. Law school is largely a numbers game, so with an LSAT of 172+, I would guess you'd be in at least one of CCN. I'm not sure how unfavorably they look at a blank resume, but I think if you can write a compelling personal statement (can you?), you may be okay. Y and S are likely out barring a 177+, since Stanford LOVES soft factors, and Yale is...Yale. H is possible with a ridiculous LSAT as well.

But yes, come back when you have an LSAT score.

Edit: tl;dr

No softs kills you at Y and S, but isn't a dealbreaker anywhere else.
Last edited by camelcrema on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miked4386

Postby miked4386 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:40 pm

I know I need an LSAT score to make anything even remotely concrete, I was mostly wondering if having zero extracurriculars would mitigate an otherwise acceptable numbers base to the extent of automatic rejection.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Were your summer jobs actual jobs? (i.e. did you have an actual landscaping job or were you just working for friends/family/around the neighborhood?) If yes, your resume isn't blank. It isn't stellar, but it isn't blank.

parsi

Postby parsi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:38 pm

Don't worry too much about your softs...i am pretty much in the same boat this cycle with a 3.9/171 and I have one of ccn so far and lesser t14s.

Just break 170 on your lsat and you're golden

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:45 pm

miked4386 wrote:I Have a 4.0, with only next fall semester left at large state university, majoring in finance. Went to community college first ( deal breaker?) for a year and got 65 credits 4.0 there (lots of CLEP tests). Been taking 18 credits at university this year- not sure if that helps-hoping to get a 4.0 again this semester.
So, in 2 years of college (1.5 years to date), after this semester, I will have 102 credits, 4.0 GPA. Problem is I have ZERO resume aside from that. No work experience (just little summer jobs like working in restaurants, landscaping). No internships, clubs (I know, huge mistake). Anyway, I was wondering if, given a high LSAT (170+) if I would have a shot at HSYCC straight out of undergrad???
I talked to an advisor at my university and he thinks I may have messed up by graduating so fast and not leaving room for extracurriculars. Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone getting into top schools on a purely numbers only basis? Thanks for any help.

Depending on your state school (if it is flagship or not), you can get all sorts of interviews with a 4.0 in finance. You shouldn't take the LSAT unless you are confident about your ability to score in the T5 range (170+ minimum). If you're not ready now, go and work for a while and come back to assess law school in a year or two. HYS like people with quality WE better than straight throughs anyway (look at the stats).

Return to “What are my chances?”