156/3.6

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

156/3.6

Postby anni » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Good PS
Great LOR, plus one from my boss which probably wasn't amazing
Average experience
Non-URM

I am still waiting on Baylor and Houston but anticipating rejections so I wanted to get others' opinions. At this point, I feel like I'm backed into a corner with St. Mary's as my only plausible acceptance. Also, is it worth throwing an application in anywhere else this late in the game?? I'm also not sure if I can ask to be reconsidered for SMU PT after FT rejection.
Yes I understand, low LSAT (2nd retake, but was still PTing higher than this), but any help is greatly appreciated as I am really worried:(

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:42 pm

please retake and reapply

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby ATR » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 pm

anni wrote:At this point, I feel like I'm backed into a corner with St. Mary's as my only plausible acceptance.

Personally, I wouldn't want to enroll under these circumstances.

I know it's difficult to hear, but I recommend a retake. Have you studied as hard/efficiently as possible? The LSAT forum on this website is very helpful; in part due to the help and resources available in there, I gained 5 points on my retake. If you are able to do the same, you'll get accepted at some good schools and possibly get a scholarship.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: 156/3.6

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:51 pm

You should never feel "backed into a corner" with law school. Retake, and apply to better schools that you WANT to go to, not the schools that you have to settle on.

User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby anni » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 pm

ATR wrote:
anni wrote:At this point, I feel like I'm backed into a corner with St. Mary's as my only plausible acceptance.

Personally, I wouldn't want to enroll under these circumstances.

I know it's difficult to hear, but I recommend a retake. Have you studied as hard/efficiently as possible? The LSAT forum on this website is very helpful; in part due to the help and resources available in there, I gained 5 points on my retake. If you are able to do the same, you'll get accepted at some good schools and possibly get a scholarship.



I was PTing higher before both administrations, and I know I could do better if I try again. But how does a 3rd retake look? If I do hypothetically score say 5 more points, would this significantly improve my chances if all other aspects of my app stay relatively the same?

Thanks sooo much everyone for the not snobby feedback!

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 pm

anni wrote:
ATR wrote:
anni wrote:At this point, I feel like I'm backed into a corner with St. Mary's as my only plausible acceptance.

Personally, I wouldn't want to enroll under these circumstances.

I know it's difficult to hear, but I recommend a retake. Have you studied as hard/efficiently as possible? The LSAT forum on this website is very helpful; in part due to the help and resources available in there, I gained 5 points on my retake. If you are able to do the same, you'll get accepted at some good schools and possibly get a scholarship.



I was PTing higher before both administrations, and I know I could do better if I try again. But how does a 3rd retake look? If I do hypothetically score say 5 more points, would this significantly improve my chances if all other aspects of my app stay relatively the same?

Thanks sooo much everyone for the not snobby feedback!


as long as you raise your score (5 points is great, and 14 is even better), no one cares if this is your 3rd or even 4th try.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby akili » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:13 pm

I took it 3 times and my cycle has gone according to my last (and highest) score. Retake and reapply!

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: 156/3.6

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:14 pm

99.9luft wrote:as long as you raise your score (5 points is great, and 14 is even better), no one cares if this is your 3rd or even 4th try.


This little school cares

User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby anni » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:17 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
99.9luft wrote:as long as you raise your score (5 points is great, and 14 is even better), no one cares if this is your 3rd or even 4th try.


This little school cares


lol...definitely don't plan on aiming that high, I'll be more realistic than that. :)
but seriously thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate not getting snobby rude replies for once.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:31 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
99.9luft wrote:as long as you raise your score (5 points is great, and 14 is even better), no one cares if this is your 3rd or even 4th try.


This little school cares


even if my 3.6 were a 3.9, i wouldn't wanna go there anyway (maybe that's why i mentally blocked it out). but yes, you are technically correct.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: 156/3.6

Postby rebexness » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby NoJob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 pm

anni wrote:Good PS
Great LOR, plus one from my boss which probably wasn't amazing
Average experience
Non-URM

I am still waiting on Baylor and Houston but anticipating rejections so I wanted to get others' opinions. At this point, I feel like I'm backed into a corner with St. Mary's as my only plausible acceptance. Also, is it worth throwing an application in anywhere else this late in the game?? I'm also not sure if I can ask to be reconsidered for SMU PT after FT rejection.
Yes I understand, low LSAT (2nd retake, but was still PTing higher than this), but any help is greatly appreciated as I am really worried:(


Ouch. Stay away from law school.

User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby anni » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:07 pm

anni wrote:but seriously thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate not getting snobby rude replies for once.



NoJob wrote:
Ouch. Stay away from law school.



I spoke too soon.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: 156/3.6

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:10 pm

anni wrote:
anni wrote:but seriously thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate not getting snobby rude replies for once.



NoJob wrote:
Ouch. Stay away from law school.



I spoke too soon.

I'm shocked it lasted as long as it did.

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby NoJob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:16 pm

anni wrote:
anni wrote:but seriously thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate not getting snobby rude replies for once.



NoJob wrote:
Ouch. Stay away from law school.



I spoke too soon.


There is no nice way of telling you to avoid fucking up your life. You do not have the stats to get into a good enough school to make it worth the risk. Not even a T50. You are better off staying away from the law period unless you can get into one of the top schools in the country. It looks like you can't do it so don't go. Otherwise, you will wind up in a lot of debt working in either shitlaw or in doc review until your job is outsourced to India.

User avatar
buckythebadger
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 am

Re: 156/3.6

Postby buckythebadger » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:11 pm

NoJob wrote:
anni wrote:
anni wrote:but seriously thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate not getting snobby rude replies for once.



NoJob wrote:
Ouch. Stay away from law school.



I spoke too soon.


There is no nice way of telling you to avoid fucking up your life. You do not have the stats to get into a good enough school to make it worth the risk. Not even a T50. You are better off staying away from the law period unless you can get into one of the top schools in the country. It looks like you can't do it so don't go. Otherwise, you will wind up in a lot of debt working in either shitlaw or in doc review until your job is outsourced to India.


You should probably just stop giving advice. You think you know the legal market because you check up on a forum every once in awhile? Charles Barkley has more insighful thoughts than you do. What if the OP's aspirations are to simply go to a regional school and stay employed in that area? With a 3.6/156 you can still get into Tier 2 range.

My advice, based soley on your numbers, is to try to retake the LSAT. Research this forum, there is an abundance of advice on how to do well on the test. Set up a plan, either take the test in June/October and see what happens. Then punch your numbers into the law school predictor and see what schools you would have a decent shot at getting accepted to.

User avatar
anni
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby anni » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
anni wrote:
anni wrote:but seriously thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate not getting snobby rude replies for once.



NoJob wrote:
Ouch. Stay away from law school.



I spoke too soon.

I'm shocked it lasted as long as it did.


+1

buckythebadger wrote:
NoJob wrote:
anni wrote:
anni wrote:but seriously thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate not getting snobby rude replies for once.



NoJob wrote:
Ouch. Stay away from law school.



I spoke too soon.


There is no nice way of telling you to avoid fucking up your life. You do not have the stats to get into a good enough school to make it worth the risk. Not even a T50. You are better off staying away from the law period unless you can get into one of the top schools in the country. It looks like you can't do it so don't go. Otherwise, you will wind up in a lot of debt working in either shitlaw or in doc review until your job is outsourced to India.


You should probably just stop giving advice. You think you know the legal market because you check up on a forum every once in awhile? Charles Barkley has more insighful thoughts than you do. What if the OP's aspirations are to simply go to a regional school and stay employed in that area? With a 3.6/156 you can still get into Tier 2 range.

My advice, based soley on your numbers, is to try to retake the LSAT. Research this forum, there is an abundance of advice on how to do well on the test. Set up a plan, either take the test in June/October and see what happens. Then punch your numbers into the law school predictor and see what schools you would have a decent shot at getting accepted to.


This. and I did get into tier 2, just not schools I can see myself paying for.
When my cycle ends I'm going to figure out how to go about retaking. :(
Thanks everyone!!

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: 156/3.6

Postby NoJob » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:23 pm

buckythebadger wrote:
NoJob wrote:
anni wrote:
anni wrote:but seriously thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate not getting snobby rude replies for once.



NoJob wrote:
Ouch. Stay away from law school.



I spoke too soon.


There is no nice way of telling you to avoid fucking up your life. You do not have the stats to get into a good enough school to make it worth the risk. Not even a T50. You are better off staying away from the law period unless you can get into one of the top schools in the country. It looks like you can't do it so don't go. Otherwise, you will wind up in a lot of debt working in either shitlaw or in doc review until your job is outsourced to India.


You should probably just stop giving advice. You think you know the legal market because you check up on a forum every once in awhile? Charles Barkley has more insighful thoughts than you do. What if the OP's aspirations are to simply go to a regional school and stay employed in that area? With a 3.6/156 you can still get into Tier 2 range.


Buddy, I have been an employed attorney for a number of years. I have seen many good people's lives ruined by law schools and the profession. I know people in biglaw, shitlaw, and doc review. Most attorneys I know regrets their decision to go.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawlita, studyingeveryday and 2 guests