Epic Fail - Retake?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Retake & Reapply for T-14 or USNWR 40's w/ $$$?

Retake 4th LSAT and Reapply to T14 next year?
5
21%
Don't retake but reapply EARLY next year?
15
63%
Suck it up and go to low-ranked school in competitive target market with $$$?
4
17%
 
Total votes: 24

FMLtwoK11
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby FMLtwoK11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:41 pm

GPA:
***

SOFTS:
***

LSAT:
***

Top PT is a 177. My problem is LG. I only got -1 or -2 on RC and LR but just could not stop getting -9 or -10 on LG, because of timing and freaking out. I know its supposed to be the easiest to learn but I just can't increase my speed or stop freaking out. I've already been through all the PTs and studied well. I'd just need to drill and drill and drill. Or am I rolling the sisyphean stone here?


THIS CYCLE:
Went complete in January after receiving December LSAT score.

Held at Columbia, haven't heard back from the other T14's I applied too. I think I'll be waitlisted at just about all of them, as most others with my stat-range and complete dates have already been rejected or waitlisted.

Got a full ride at a school in the USNWR 40's that would probably be okay for public interest practice, but this would really bum me out. I want to go to a top school, and be challenged by exposure to top students. I don't want to spend the rest of my life thinking, "if only."

SO:
Do yall think it's worth a June retake to reapply, or possibly to get off waitlists if I can do 174+?

Thank you.
Last edited by FMLtwoK11 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:48 pm

No GPA and a 167-170? You should easily be in a t14 with an earlier and well done application.

FMLtwoK11
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby FMLtwoK11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:No GPA and a 167-170? You should easily be in a t14 with an earlier and well done application.


Thanks for your response. I've been under the impression, though, that my no GPA is hurting me, not helping me. Are you suggesting that because it's not a factor, schools would be more likely to just take the decent LSAT and good softs?

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby sundance95 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:50 pm

FMLtwoK11 wrote:Got a full ride at a school in the USNWR 40's that would probably be okay for public interest practice, but this would really bum me out. I want to go to a top school, and be challenged by exposure to top students. I don't want to spend the rest of my life thinking, "if only."

Didn't you just answer your own question?

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby sanetruth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Don't retake, but DO reapply next cycle. Many people vastly underestimate the power of applying early in the cycle. You didn't just apply 'not early', you applied LATE in the cycle. That significantly hurts your chances. If you get your apps in 9/1 with the same record you'll get T14. And why not throw an ED somehwere?

FMLtwoK11
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby FMLtwoK11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:06 pm

sanetruth wrote:Don't retake, but DO reapply next cycle. Many people vastly underestimate the power of applying early in the cycle. You didn't just apply 'not early', you applied LATE in the cycle. That significantly hurts your chances. If you get your apps in 9/1 with the same record you'll get T14. And why not throw an ED somehwere?


That might be a good option. . . Edited the poll to add that in.

sundance95 wrote:
FMLtwoK11 wrote:Got a full ride at a school in the USNWR 40's that would probably be okay for public interest practice, but this would really bum me out. I want to go to a top school, and be challenged by exposure to top students. I don't want to spend the rest of my life thinking, "if only."

Didn't you just answer your own question?


That's kind of the way I feel about it . . . it's just daunting to think about postponing this another year. Then again, I guess there's not much difference between getting out of law school at 30 versus 31.

Just wondering what others think because I've definitely made some stupid choices so far (taking LSAT first time without studying LG enough, etc) so I appreciate the advice. Keep it comin yall.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Retake if you are/can be PTing in the mid-to-upper 170s by mid-May (the June cancellation deadline).

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:38 am

I hate this TLS stock answer BUT:

Retake

I think it would be a shame for a 170/(what I'm assuming is a strong academic performance) to end up in a low T1 school. You can and will do better. However, I would follow the advice about not retaking unless almost every PT is 173+.

FMLtwoK11
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby FMLtwoK11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:58 pm

FMLtwoK11 wrote:Held at Columbia, haven't heard back from the other T14's I applied too. I think I'll be waitlisted at just about all of them, as most others with my stat-range and complete dates have already been rejected or waitlisted.


Happy update: just got into Northwestern.

Depending on how generous their LRAP is (gotta read up), this could be a great option.

Thanks everyone, for your help.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:58 pm

FMLtwoK11 wrote:
FMLtwoK11 wrote:Held at Columbia, haven't heard back from the other T14's I applied too. I think I'll be waitlisted at just about all of them, as most others with my stat-range and complete dates have already been rejected or waitlisted.


Happy update: just got into Northwestern.

Depending on how generous their LRAP is (gotta read up), this could be a great option.

Thanks everyone, for your help.

I would have been schocked if you didn't get a t14 with those stats.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:08 pm

With a 170, you may be waitlisted at every T14 at which a 170 is not above median. So, you shouldn't be anticipating getting into any school at which has a median above 170.

Cornell?

FMLtwoK11
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby FMLtwoK11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Got into Georgetown, too . . .

Just wish I coulda cracked my top choices in the lower T6 . . .

I wonder if waiting a year would give me a better shot.

Then again it might be a huge waste of time.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Epic Fail - Retake?

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:13 pm

FMLtwoK11 wrote:Got into Georgetown, too . . .

Just wish I coulda cracked my top choices in the lower T6 . . .

I wonder if waiting a year would give me a better shot.

Then again it might be a huge waste of time.

You'd have to retake to get into a t6




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests