AA 161/3.7 chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ns0291

New

AA 161/3.7 chances?

Post by ns0291 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:09 pm

AA 161/3.7 good softs/solid work experience

What do you think my chances are at the following schools?

Cornell
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
Washington University
Duke
Northwestern

FuManChusco

Silver

Re: AA 161/3.7 chances?

Post by FuManChusco » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:17 pm

URMs are tough to predict. With a good app you could secure all of these and maybe even reach a little higher. an AA male with these exact numbers got UChi with $ and got a JR1 at H. See here: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kdubb513

You could also get straight rejections though. plenty of examples on LSN. I imagine you'll be able to secure admission to at least on of these schools though.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:18 pm

My best guess is that you should be admitted or, at least, waitlisted to these law schools. Apply early. Your numbers are solid as an AA URM & your work experience should help.

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Maybe ull end up at Harvard

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Assuming that you're talking about applying next cycle, I think your chances are really good: Of your list, I applied to Duke, Cornell, and GTown, and was accepted to all three. I have a 162 and a 3.78, but you are a black male, where as I am a black female. I imagine a black male with my numbers would have gone even farther than I have. Also, I don't have work experience, and that helps your application even more.

Assuming you're talking about aps already submitted and you haven't heard back yet, I don't think your chances are great just because you haven't heard back. (I doubt that this one is the case though.)

I definitely think you're in great shape. Best of luck with your cycle!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:16 pm

You should definitely throw in at UVA too - the earlier the better, and ED if you want a quick turnaround and really good chance.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:22 pm

esq wrote:You should definitely throw in at UVA too - the earlier the better, and ED if you want a quick turnaround and really good chance.

Wait, why is ED to UVA always an option thrown out there, besides just being a meme? How the hell did it start? And EDing would ruin his opportunities at other schools, and I just don't see UVA ED being his only shot at the T14.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:38 pm

subtle wrote:
esq wrote:You should definitely throw in at UVA too - the earlier the better, and ED if you want a quick turnaround and really good chance.

Wait, why is ED to UVA always an option thrown out there, besides just being a meme? How the hell did it start? And EDing would ruin his opportunities at other schools, and I just don't see UVA ED being his only shot at the T14.
I think that as an AA URM, he/she has a good shot at it regardless - in fact AA URM's with similar numbers seem to have done pretty well this cycle (161/3.98 = a $126,000 admit this year). I just throw ED out there for the same reason everyone else does, it's a 15 day turnaround and makes it a really solid shot for someone with this guys stats - assuming that he/she doesn't want to play the waiting game.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:48 pm

esq wrote:
subtle wrote:

I think that as an AA URM, he/she has a good shot at it regardless - in fact AA URM's with similar numbers seem to have done pretty well this cycle (161/3.98 = a $126,000 admit this year). I just throw ED out there for the same reason everyone else does, it's a 15 day turnaround and makes it a really solid shot for someone with this guys stats - assuming that he/she doesn't want to play the waiting game.
The applicant is a guy and I think that makes his chances stronger than mine. I'm a AA female with a 162 and a 3.78 and am in at Columbia, NYU, Duke, Cornell, and Georgetown. So I mean, I feel like the fast turn around isn't worth closing off other options? Also, I applied to Duke Priority Track so there's always the chance that he could have a 10 day turn around at Duke.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:08 pm

subtle wrote:So I mean, I feel like the fast turn around isn't worth closing off other options? I'm a AA female with a 162 and a 3.78 and am in at Columbia, NYU, Duke, Cornell, and Georgetown.
Agreed, and congrats.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks. :)

OP--

TL;DR: You're going to be fine. Good luck on your cycle, but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get several T14 acceptances.

ns0291

New

Post by ns0291 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks guys!

I'm just a bit worried because my applications were not sent out early.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Ohhhhhhh. You're applying this cycle. When did you send them out?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ns0291

New

Post by ns0291 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:14 pm

subtle wrote:Ohhhhhhh. You're applying this cycle. When did you send them out?
Mid to late January.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Well, I think it's too soon to say whether or not not hearing back by now means bad news. I think with your numbers you should be in. I don't know how applying late affects applications (or if it affects them as much as people say it does), especially for minorities.
Regardless, I applied to most schools in late November. I applied to 14 total--heard back from one in December, four in January, two in February, six in March, and still waiting on one.

It's a long process.

ns0291

New

Post by ns0291 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm

subtle wrote:Well, I think it's too soon to say whether or not not hearing back by now means bad news. I think with your numbers you should be in. I don't know how applying late affects applications (or if it affects them as much as people say it does), especially for minorities.
Regardless, I applied to most schools in late November. I applied to 14 total--heard back from one in December, four in January, two in February, six in March, and still waiting on one.

It's a long process.
If I receive no response by April 15, should I settle for Fordham or is there a way to go about contacting the schools before my Fordham deadline?

I really appreciate your advice :)

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:50 pm

Don't settle. If you don't want to go to Fordham, then don't go. I mean, it's going to cost you a lot of money to go to law school, and if you're going to spend it, you should definitely spend it on somewhere you think will be beneficial and where you'll be happy.

I've heard of people on this site contacting admissions offices to tell them that they have deadlines from other schools; I think the results have been varied. Some people have been promptly held or waitlisted, and some people haven't heard at all. The other way to go is to contact Fordham, and ask them for a deadline extension. They may say no, but it can't hurt to ask.

Also, my strategy was to hope to hear from everyone by the time that I needed to deposit, and make a decision (rank all of my schools--pending and accepted). I ranked them assuming I'd get into all of them and have to pay sticker at all of them. That way, if I heard back from schools at the last minute, I'd kind of have my mind made up, if I had to give an answer quickly. That may not be the best way to approach your decision, but that's how I've been thinking about mine. Fortunately, I've heard from every school but one.

ns0291

New

Post by ns0291 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 pm

subtle wrote:Don't settle. If you don't want to go to Fordham, then don't go. I mean, it's going to cost you a lot of money to go to law school, and if you're going to spend it, you should definitely spend it on somewhere you think will be beneficial and where you'll be happy.

I've heard of people on this site contacting admissions offices to tell them that they have deadlines from other schools; I think the results have been varied. Some people have been promptly held or waitlisted, and some people haven't heard at all. The other way to go is to contact Fordham, and ask them for a deadline extension. They may say no, but it can't hurt to ask.

Also, my strategy was to hope to hear from everyone by the time that I needed to deposit, and make a decision (rank all of my schools--pending and accepted). I ranked them assuming I'd get into all of them and have to pay sticker at all of them. That way, if I heard back from schools at the last minute, I'd kind of have my mind made up, if I had to give an answer quickly. That may not be the best way to approach your decision, but that's how I've been thinking about mine. Fortunately, I've heard from every school but one.
Ok Thanks!! And good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”