Effect of Decreased Applications on Waitlist Movement

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ihp12

Effect of Decreased Applications on Waitlist Movement

Postby ihp12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:28 am

Read in the WSJ http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704396504576204692878631986.html (via ATL) that applications are down 11% this year. Any theories on how this might effect movement on waitlists in general? I'm pretty sure that last year there were a record number of applications, so it's down 11% from a record, but still.

Could it be possible that less applications means less people to fill spots, and so in general schools will pull more people off the waitlist?

Thanks.

tipler4213

Re: Effect of Decreased Applications on Waitlist Movement

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:39 am

Maybe. But then again, I think a lot of schools have gone heavy on the waitlist/holds because they wanted to see how the classes panned out. I think Harvard would hold anyone with a 150+/3.5+ this year (exaggerating but still--I should have been mocked by the admissions staff). So, numbers-wise, probably a lot will get in, but I don't neccessarily think the percentage is going to be any better.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:46 am

tipler4213 wrote:Maybe. But then again, I think a lot of schools have gone heavy on the waitlist/holds because they wanted to see how the classes panned out. I think Harvard would hold anyone with a 150+/3.5+ this year (exaggerating but still--I should have been mocked by the admissions staff). So, numbers-wise, probably a lot will get in, but I don't neccessarily think the percentage is going to be any better.

This sounds reasonable, but I hope you're wrong. I also hope that the rest of the people on my waitlist are lazy or give up hope.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:49 am

I can't speak for many schools, but I think this will definitely be true of at least some. UVA and Columbia have both been said to be using their waitlist/hold list somewhat differently this year (...I'm on both of them!), and will be letting more people in than usual. My guess is that a lot of schools probably admitted too many people too early last cycle, and so are being somewhat more cautious this time around.

In UVA's case, I'm guessing they want to see who's really interested/dedicated (through LOCIs/Why UVAs/campus visits/etc.), which will in turn protect their yield. I for one am not that dedicated... I'll probably withdraw soon.

(Columbia, on the other hand... I promised them my firstborn child in my LOCI... fingers crossed!)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:51 am

The article specifically mentions Fordham--apps down by 15% this year--and WashUStL--where applications are down 11% this year.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:56 am

amorfati wrote:I can't speak for many schools, but I think this will definitely be true of at least some. UVA and Columbia have both been said to be using their waitlist/hold list somewhat differently this year (...I'm on both of them!), and will be letting more people in than usual. My guess is that a lot of schools probably admitted too many people too early last cycle, and so are being somewhat more cautious this time around.

In UVA's case, I'm guessing they want to see who's really interested/dedicated (through LOCIs/Why UVAs/campus visits/etc.), which will in turn protect their yield. I for one am not that dedicated... I'll probably withdraw soon.

(Columbia, on the other hand... I promised them my firstborn child in my LOCI... fingers crossed!)

LOL, I promised to name my children after my recommenders.

Return to “What are my chances?”