Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tm4217

Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby tm4217 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:24 pm

-
Last edited by tm4217 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ams

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby ams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:51 pm

Law school predictor will be helpful here. I'm not really familiar with these schools but it looks like your chances are good at several of them. However, I don't think applying to law school with a 142 is a good idea, especially since you have such a great GPA. You still have plenty of time to study before the June test.

What prep class did you take? What's your PT range? What kind of job are you looking for upon graduation?

tm4217

Postby tm4217 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:19 pm

Last edited by tm4217 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ams

Postby ams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Normally I'd say that if you are going to take a course you should take one that ends about a month before the actual LSAT so that you can spend that last month taking full length, strictly timed practice tests. But since you have already signed up that's moot by now.

I'd also say you should study for at least 3 months before the test, dedicating 2-4 hours most days to LSAT prep. So 3 months before would be like...right now. But your class doesn't start for another month. If there are any sections that you feel you can study on your own I would start now. Maybe get your Kaplan books ahead of time and start going through them now to get a jump on the class. There is lots of good study advise on TLS. I'd normally recommend taking at least 10 full length (ideally adding an extra section to simulate the experimental on the real test), strictly time practice tests before the real test. The timing of your class complicates this but it can still be done.

If you're looking to take over a family business, that provides you good job security. Most of the schools you mention have poor employment prospects. The financial risk is compounded if you take out loans to pay for school. Are your parents paying for law school? Make sure to understand the risks and fully consider whether law school is the right choice. I mention this especially since you aren't sure what you want to do and plan to practice law "on the side." Some people on this forum can be kind of rude in their advice to people looking at lower-ranked schools, and I'm not trying to do that at all, but you do need to understand the risks of the schools you are looking at (maybe you already do, I don't know). Ideally, you will raise your LSAT score and apply to better schools. However, if your parents are paying for your education and you are taking over a family business, then maybe going to one of these schools is an OK choice in your situation.

tm4217

Postby tm4217 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:45 pm

Last edited by tm4217 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:46 pm

oh boy...

tm4217

Postby tm4217 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:48 pm

?...

ams

Postby ams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Well good luck studying! Once you get your score, plug your numbers into law school predictor and you will get a decent idea of your chances and it can help you figure out where to apply. It's not totally accurate, but definitely helpful. Your GPA is high, so if you can get into the mid 150's, scholarships may be a possibility!

tm4217

Postby tm4217 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:51 pm

I appreciate it!

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:10 am

I'm sorry to say this but I don't think your chances are great. My friend has a 3.8 and a 144/142 (retake) with pretty decent softs (she interned for an ADA and a judge's office in addition to your standard honor societies, honors thesis, etc.) and got shut out of the T2 entirely. She was also rejected from MSU and Ave Maria. She was held at Wayne State and University of Detroit Mercy. The only place that accepted her outright was Cooley.

tm4217

Postby tm4217 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:30 am

Is Cooley laughed at by law students/members? I know on here there's tons of ignorant assholes in the "top law schools", but I mean if your not worried about the school and just want your JD is there anything to be ashamed about?

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:46 am

I think that Cooley gets a lot of shit because in addition to being a bad school (which a lot are) it is perceived as having a chip on its shoulder. Creating your own rankings and ranking yourself higher than every school in the nation except Harvard is laughable (unless you happen to be Yale). Plus, TLS tends to be elitist. I mean, think about it. If scoring in the 170s means that you did better than 99 percent of the people who take the test and there are thousands upon thousands of people who take the test each time, 170s are relatively rare. The fact that there are so many people floating around TLS with 170+ should tell you something. That said, is Cooley automatically the kiss of death that TLS makes it out to be? I don't think so.

If you want to do Biglaw or work in a well-known firm, Cooley isn't going to help you. My brother's godmother works for the largest firm in the world and her firm won't even look at schools like Howard. I can only imagine what they'd say about Cooley. If you want to work in national government, Cooley is probably not going to help you there. If all you need is a JD, then go for it. The thing is this: Cooley will severely limit your options. Because so many people don't know what they want to do before they end up doing it (or shortly before) limiting your options isn't smart. Another way that Cooley limits your options is that Cooley doesn't travel. You pretty much have to stay in Michigan with a degree from Cooley (at least until you build your career). But if all you need is a JD because you have a job lined up or solid connections or you're positive you want to stay in Michigan and don't ever want to do Biglaw or work in the government, etc. then Cooley might make sense.

In my friend's case, she wants to be out east. Cooley is not going to get her out east.

I almost NEVER recommend retake, but I think it's absolutely necessary in your case; I'm not saying that so you can get into a better school and make better use of your time and money and blah blah blah whatever else TLS says on a regular basis. I think you need a retake to even have a shot anywhere. I know you said you're going to retake, but I think you absolutely need at least like 6 more points on your LSAT.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:52 am

How has retake not been said over and over again? I agree that saying retake is old on this forum, and I hated to hear it, but I am glad I did it. I went from 156 to 169 with a little hard work and a shit load of practice. Making a big jump is possible and it is worth it. I went from looking at T3's to a full ride at my top choice (still not a tippity top law school, but is where I wanted to practice without debt).

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:07 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:How has retake not been said over and over again? I agree that saying retake is old on this forum, and I hated to hear it, but I am glad I did it. I went from 156 to 169 with a little hard work and a shit load of practice. Making a big jump is possible and it is worth it. I went from looking at T3's to a full ride at my top choice (still not a tippity top law school, but is where I wanted to practice without debt).

Because OP said (s)he is retaking.

tm4217

Postby tm4217 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Thank you

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Dude, it's the LSAT, not the "LSAT's."

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 pm

subtle wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:How has retake not been said over and over again? I agree that saying retake is old on this forum, and I hated to hear it, but I am glad I did it. I went from 156 to 169 with a little hard work and a shit load of practice. Making a big jump is possible and it is worth it. I went from looking at T3's to a full ride at my top choice (still not a tippity top law school, but is where I wanted to practice without debt).

Because OP said (s)he is retaking.

Reading fail :oops:

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:52 pm

I would suggest a program other than Kaplan, cause they are pretty bottom of the barrel when it comes to test prep. but yeah, retaking in your situation is a very, very good life decision.

tm4217

Postby tm4217 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Any suggestion on where to go for Test Prep then?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:26 pm

PowerScore or TestMasters.

I've never personally interacted with either company, but I know they have much higher standards. There has been some hate on TestMaster on this site before - but if you do some searches through the LSAT prep forums I'm sure it will help you decide which is better.

They are both pretty expensive, but considering that each point on the LSAT is basically worth thousands of dollars in scholarship money - it is probably worth it.

creepa

Postby creepa » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:52 pm

I took the TestMasters online course and really loved it. They break down the question types for LR and then give you ~200 questions from old LSAT tests in each category. Also, they give you 64 old LSAT practice tests.
AND they overnighted all of these materials to me IN FRANCE for FREE. It was like a $200 shipping cost. That last part probably has nothing to do with you but I thought it was very nice.

I went from a 154 on my diagnostic test to a 163 on the Feb LSAT.

12AngryMen

Postby 12AngryMen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Dont do it.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:28 pm

12AngryMen wrote:Dont do it.

yes because getting a low LSAT score and going to a TTTT is a great idea.

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:29 pm

OP, where are you from and where do you go for undergrad? I ask not because it's important but because your list of schools makes me think you may be a fellow Southern New Englander.

tm4217

Postby tm4217 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:52 pm

You are correct!

Return to “What are my chances?”