3.0/163/weird undergraduate majors..... chances at Tulane?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
creepa

3.0/163/weird undergraduate majors..... chances at Tulane?

Postby creepa » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:30 pm

Hello!

I've already submitted my application to Tulane but I just found out that the job I have now (English teaching assistant in France) can be renewed for next year but I have to give a decision by the first week of April sooooooooo

Anyone have any thoughts about my chances at Tulane?

My GPA sucks, I know. I don't have an upward grade trend. it's been pretty much 3.0 ish after my first year.
GPA/LSAT: 3.02/163
Major: triple major in biochemistry, philosophy and french
Other stuff: mock trial for two years
research assistant in biochemistry department at my university. studied tumor growth mechanisms in really unlucky mice. worked here for 2 years. about 20 hrs/week.
worked at subway for a year. sandwich artist.

I also applied to American and Wake Forest but I'd really like to get accepted to Tulane

non-URM

I would love love love to go to Tulane but if I don't get accepted I'd like to have this job as a back up so yes any advice, thoughts, whatever would be very much appreciated! thanks in advance!

ATR

Re: 3.0/163/weird undergraduate majors..... chances at Tulane?

Postby ATR » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Things that matter for your application:
creepa wrote:GPA/LSAT: 3.02/163
non-URM

Take a look at this and this. I think you have a shot with your stats, but you need to make sure you have a solid application and write a good "Why Tulane?" essay. Also, if you can retake the LSAT. 1-2 points could make you a shoo-in and enhance your chances for scholarship money.

ams

Postby ams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:19 pm

Take a look at law school predictor. Your chances this cycle don't look very good. If you don't hear by the time you have to renew your job, I'd say retake and reapply next year.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:18 am

Tulane gives out a LOT of scholarship money. like, a ton. I know, I'm on 25k of it right now.

I would highly suggest taking the teaching position and working to increase your LSAT by even 2/3 points. then if you apply early with a great why Tulane essay you may be able to be in with money. LS with be there next year and you will save yourself thousands of dollars.

(but I would highly suggest Tulane. it is an amazing school and I love it fwiw)

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:24 am

gwuorbust wrote:Tulane gives out a LOT of scholarship money. like, a ton. I know, I'm on 25k of it right now.

I would highly suggest taking the teaching position and working to increase your LSAT by even 2/3 points. then if you apply early with a great why Tulane essay you may be able to be in with money. LS with be there next year and you will save yourself thousands of dollars.

(but I would highly suggest Tulane. it is an amazing school and I love it fwiw)

I agree with this. The teaching overseas for a few years will look good, a few more LSAT points will look even better.

creepa

Postby creepa » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:41 am

Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate it!
I don't think that I'm going to renew my contract in France because I really hate my job. I haven't technically graduated yet (taking a 3 credit poli sci online course) so I think I might just study study study for the LSAT and HOPEFULLY raise my score to 165-167 and also try to raise my UGPA or atleast give myself an upward grade trend. not that that means a lot.

*still keeping my fingers crossed about Tulane, though! It would be nice to be put on the waitlist instead of rejected....just for the sake of my morale......

charcop

Postby charcop » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:24 pm

I have the same LSAT and only .1 higher gpa and I got in Tulane with 20/k scholly... good luck! :)

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:35 pm

Tulane is really good for people with your numbers. They give out lots of money, and have a large nationwide UG alumni base that gives it a little bit (keyword: little) more rep than other schools that are similarly ranked. Also, like others have said, they give away lots of money. It is also dominant in a very desirable area, which most schools with similar numbers are not.

creepa

Postby creepa » Fri May 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks again for the responses! Just in case anyone reads this later I ended up getting into Tulane with 15K/year :)
I was also accepted at American and Wake Forest...I thought I'd be waitlisted/rejected at these schools so I was pretty excited to be accepted!

lawboy81

Postby lawboy81 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Congrats. So you going to Tulane next year?

Return to “What are my chances?”