How much can you improve your LSAT?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby LoyalRebel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 pm

I know it varies, but is this a test that can be learned?

I currently have a 157 LSAT, taken pretty much cold turkey. The only studying I did was take a free practice test administered by KAPLAN at my school, and did about an hour's worth of logic games problems the night before. It's possible I might get a nifty full time tax accounting job in Dallas, so I'd I could do that for a year while I did some serious studying. But honestly, I don't want to study my ass off for 6 months for a 3 point increase.

Could you share your thoughts and experiences?

Also would it be to much to ask that people not use the less than stellar LSAT I currently have as a reason why I should retake? We're all aspiring lawyers here; let's try keep irrelevant things out of the discussion. I'd be perfectly content going to a 3rd tier school, I just want to make sure I achieve my full potential.

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby Magnolia » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:57 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:I know it varies, but is this a test that can be learned?

I currently have a 157 LSAT, taken pretty much cold turkey. The only studying I did was take a free practice test administered by KAPLAN at my school, and did about an hour's worth of logic games problems the night before. It's possible I might get a nifty full time tax accounting job in Dallas, so I'd I could do that for a year while I did some serious studying. But honestly, I don't want to study my ass off for 6 months for a 3 point increase.

Could you share your thoughts and experiences?

Also would it be to much to ask that people not use the less than stellar LSAT I currently have as a reason why I should retake? We're all aspiring lawyers here; let's try keep irrelevant things out of the discussion. I'd be perfectly content going to a 3rd tier school, I just want to make sure I achieve my full potential.

Yes, everything on the LSAT is completely learnable. You should get some LSAT prep books, read about the various types of questions, and take some practice tests. It's extremely likely that you can improve your score. Getting a 157 on your diagnostic means you probably already have a solid foundation of the skills you need, you just need to build on them.

How long you need to spend studying depends a great deal on how quickly you pick up the skills. Some people spend 3-6 months prepping. I studied for like 2 weeks. It's different for everybody. That being said, I would highly recommend studying for more than 2 weeks.

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby LoyalRebel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:04 am

Magnolia wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:I know it varies, but is this a test that can be learned?

I currently have a 157 LSAT, taken pretty much cold turkey. The only studying I did was take a free practice test administered by KAPLAN at my school, and did about an hour's worth of logic games problems the night before. It's possible I might get a nifty full time tax accounting job in Dallas, so I'd I could do that for a year while I did some serious studying. But honestly, I don't want to study my ass off for 6 months for a 3 point increase.

Could you share your thoughts and experiences?

Also would it be to much to ask that people not use the less than stellar LSAT I currently have as a reason why I should retake? We're all aspiring lawyers here; let's try keep irrelevant things out of the discussion. I'd be perfectly content going to a 3rd tier school, I just want to make sure I achieve my full potential.

Yes, everything on the LSAT is completely learnable. You should get some LSAT prep books, read about the various types of questions, and take some practice tests. It's extremely likely that you can improve your score. Getting a 157 on your diagnostic means you probably already have a solid foundation of the skills you need, you just need to build on them.

How long you need to spend studying depends a great deal on how quickly you pick up the skills. Some people spend 3-6 months prepping. I studied for like 2 weeks. It's different for everybody. That being said, I would highly recommend studying for more than 2 weeks.


How much were you able to improve your score after you studied, if you don't mind me asking?

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby Magnolia » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:12 am

LoyalRebel wrote:
Magnolia wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:I know it varies, but is this a test that can be learned?

I currently have a 157 LSAT, taken pretty much cold turkey. The only studying I did was take a free practice test administered by KAPLAN at my school, and did about an hour's worth of logic games problems the night before. It's possible I might get a nifty full time tax accounting job in Dallas, so I'd I could do that for a year while I did some serious studying. But honestly, I don't want to study my ass off for 6 months for a 3 point increase.

Could you share your thoughts and experiences?

Also would it be to much to ask that people not use the less than stellar LSAT I currently have as a reason why I should retake? We're all aspiring lawyers here; let's try keep irrelevant things out of the discussion. I'd be perfectly content going to a 3rd tier school, I just want to make sure I achieve my full potential.

Yes, everything on the LSAT is completely learnable. You should get some LSAT prep books, read about the various types of questions, and take some practice tests. It's extremely likely that you can improve your score. Getting a 157 on your diagnostic means you probably already have a solid foundation of the skills you need, you just need to build on them.

How long you need to spend studying depends a great deal on how quickly you pick up the skills. Some people spend 3-6 months prepping. I studied for like 2 weeks. It's different for everybody. That being said, I would highly recommend studying for more than 2 weeks.


How much were you able to improve your score after you studied, if you don't mind me asking?

My diagnostic test was a 167, my PT range was 174-177, and I ultimately scored a 170.

ams
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby ams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:44 pm

What's your GPA? If you want to go to a T3 school (which I'm sure you know is, depending on your circumstances, often not advisable) you probably don't need to retake unless your GPA is pretty low. 157 is a good score for taking the test cold though, and with serious studying I think you'd have a shot at 170+ territory, if you wanted to.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:01 am

153 diagnostic (screwed the pooch on logic games) -> 173.

There are tons of threads on this, and increasing by 8-15+ points seems to be frequent enough that I'd characterize it as the "norm" for LSAT takers. A 157 is a perfectly fine starting point.

Edit: Also, this wasn't with a ton of studying - only did 8 exams.
Last edited by FlightoftheEarls on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

sonervous88
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby sonervous88 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:22 am

Started 165 up to a 178 on practice tests. i have really bad test anxiety though so i ended up with a 172. probably would have ended up in the 150s without the practice though. good luck!

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:41 pm

With a 157, you should be able to improve by at least 10 points.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby TheFactor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:57 pm

I took the LSAT the first time pretty much cold turkey and got a 159. Improved to 167 after about a monthish of studying.

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Yeah, you're fine if you study. I think my first practice test was 155 (logic games were a complete bloodbath, maybe got 2-3 right) and I wound up with a 168 on the real thing and that was with about 2 months of study while working a full-time job. If you give yourself enough time you should be able to crush the test.

The other thing I'd say to give yourself motivation to plan for the LSAT correctly now that I'm going through the admissions process is that the LSAT is really, stupidly important. For example, I PTed at 167-171, but was happy enough with my 168 and I was worn out from studying/working and at the same time not getting any younger, so I just took it. My cycle is going fine, but schools really do treat even one point distinctions differently, even if the basis for doing so is totally absurd. It's completely insane the way schools treat such small distinctions, but that's just how it goes. Do absolutely everything in your power to max out.

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:11 pm

Took me a while but I improved 14 points

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby Icculus » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:13 pm

155 diagnostic ====> 173 (third try)

User avatar
rotaxkarter
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:24 am

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby rotaxkarter » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:33 pm

High 150s first try(no studying). After doing almost all PTs available ended up with 177 on the real thing.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:34 pm

180 - your score = how much you can improve

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: How much can you improve your LSAT?

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:36 pm

fatduck wrote:180 - your score = how much you can improve


is this some kind of magic? get your devil formulas away from me.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest