Early Decision.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ldo5014

Early Decision.

Postby ldo5014 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Feel free to move this if it isn't in the correct place! I don't know exactly where to put it :?

I am applying next cycle after I get my October LSAT score back. I want to go to school in NYC, but don't want to leave the T14. This obviously leaves me with two top choices in Columbia and NYU. I was told that ED enhances one's chances, so I want to go that route. Is it possible to ED two schools? If so, is it recommended?

bhan87

Re: Early Decision.

Postby bhan87 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:32 pm

ldo5014 wrote:Feel free to move this if it isn't in the correct place! I don't know exactly where to put it :?

I am applying next cycle after I get my October LSAT score back. I want to go to school in NYC, but don't want to leave the T14. This obviously leaves me with two top choices in Columbia and NYU. I was told that ED enhances one's chances, so I want to go that route. Is it possible to ED two schools? If so, is it recommended?

Possible to ED at either, but not recommended. ED'ing honestly does not give you a very big leg up compared to just submitting the first day RD applications are opened.

The disadvantages of ED'ing include getting no consideration for merit awards, not being able to use scholarships from other schools to negotiate up your financial aid, and not being able to change your mind if you have a change of heart.

Just submit early, and good luck!

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:35 pm

No you can't ED to both nyu and Columbia. You'll have to pick 1.

ldo5014

Postby ldo5014 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:40 pm

bhan87 wrote:
ldo5014 wrote:Feel free to move this if it isn't in the correct place! I don't know exactly where to put it :?

Possible to ED at either, but not recommended. ED'ing honestly does not give you a very big leg up compared to just submitting the first day RD applications are opened.

The disadvantages of ED'ing include getting no consideration for merit awards, not being able to use scholarships from other schools to negotiate up your financial aid, and not being able to change your mind if you have a change of heart.

Regrettably, I will not have an LSAT until October. Oh well, I'll just have to kill the LSAT. Thanks for the advice!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:41 pm

OP, you cannot apply ED to 2 schools at the same time. UVA and Duke allow you to apply ED later in the cycle which can be useful if you don't get into your first ED school (and UVA gives you a decision in 2 weeks which actually allows you to possibly apply to 3 schools ED throughout a cycle if you apply there first). As for whether you should or not -- that is a hard question that depends on how bad you need to be in NYC and the possibility of money from other schools.

akili

Postby akili » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:44 pm

ldo5014 wrote:
bhan87 wrote:

Regrettably, I will not have an LSAT until October. Oh well, I'll just have to kill the LSAT. Thanks for the advice!

The October LSAT isn't late! Don't stress about that, stress about getting a sick score. Good luck!

Return to “What are my chances?”