What Law Schools can I get into with my low GPA!! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Pards

New

What Law Schools can I get into with my low GPA!!

Post by Pards » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Ok so my GPA is a 2.7 overall. My LSAT score is a 165. I know my GPA Sucks and my LSAT is respectable not anything eye popping but respectable. One thing about my GPA: My first two years of college I just dicked around, went out drinking all the time. The only things I cared about were beer, girls and my sport. However after my sophomore year I changed my attitude and grew up. I realized I wanted success and I knew I had to work at it. I buckled down and my Senior/Junior GPA was a 3.5 (this is good for me and a drastic improvement from 2.1 sophomore, freshman gpa). Also I was wondering if my athletics may help me at all. I am a Division 1 Athlete, two time team captain, 1st Team All-Conference and received Player of the Year my senior year. I really do think I excel in team situations and I think I am a good leader. Do you think the law school admissions will see this from athletic resume? I really do not want those first two immature years to ruin my future career. Also I go to a respectable top 30 Liberal Arts college. It would be very useful if you could tell me my safeties, my about rights and those god dang reachers. I would really appreciate the help. You can be pretty broad with location because I am willing to go pretty much anywhere. Schools I particularly had my eyes set on were Loyola Marymount, Fordham, U Miami, George Mason, GWU, Tulane, Hofstra... If you could tell me my chances on these ones that would be great. I am especially interested in Loyola Marymount. Thanks for your help!

Pards

New

Re: What Law Schools can I get into with my low GPA!!

Post by Pards » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Help me out!!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:49 pm

Have you checked out law school numbers and law school predictor? Sorry I can't really help i'm not familiar with those schools, but those two websites are great resources. Best of luck.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:31 pm

don't know much about the other schools. Fordham is out and GW is out without a higher LSAT.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:34 pm

George Mason is out as they love high GPAs. You will probably get Hofstra with $$$.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:36 pm

None that are worth going to.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:38 pm

Pards wrote:Ok so my GPA is a 2.7 overall. My LSAT score is a 165. I know my GPA Sucks and my LSAT is respectable not anything eye popping but respectable. One thing about my GPA: My first two years of college I just dicked around, went out drinking all the time. The only things I cared about were beer, girls and my sport. However after my sophomore year I changed my attitude and grew up. I realized I wanted success and I knew I had to work at it. I buckled down and my Senior/Junior GPA was a 3.5 (this is good for me and a drastic improvement from 2.1 sophomore, freshman gpa). Also I was wondering if my athletics may help me at all. I am a Division 1 Athlete, two time team captain, 1st Team All-Conference and received Player of the Year my senior year. I really do think I excel in team situations and I think I am a good leader. Do you think the law school admissions will see this from athletic resume? I really do not want those first two immature years to ruin my future career. Also I go to a respectable top 30 Liberal Arts college. It would be very useful if you could tell me my safeties, my about rights and those god dang reachers. I would really appreciate the help. You can be pretty broad with location because I am willing to go pretty much anywhere. Schools I particularly had my eyes set on were Loyola Marymount, Fordham, U Miami, George Mason, GWU, Tulane, Hofstra... If you could tell me my chances on these ones that would be great. I am especially interested in Loyola Marymount. Thanks for your help!
Most of this will not help you out very much in admissions. The best advice would be to find some interesting work to do for a few years and DISTANCE yourself from that GPA. Also, get that LSAT score into the 170s and you'll be looking at a MUCH BETTER cycle later. There have been cases of splitters with really terrible GPAs getting into schools like Northwestern that really love work experience.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Loyola Marymount - WL
Fordham - OUT
U Miami - WL
George Mason - OUT (unless you apply PT, then maybe in)
GWU - OUT
Tulane - WL
Hofstra - IN $

I'm a 3.35, 165 and I was WL at Fordham and out atGWU, in at Tulane with 20k/year. Look at law school numbers and look at the graphs for each school. Example: http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/ I find them to be particularly helpful. Can you retake the LSAT? A couple more points could help you out a lot at splitter friendly schools. Can you take time off and do something productive?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:16 pm

MTal wrote:None that are worth going to.
with a 165, I tend to agree. And bhan, jesus christ. I would hate to see one of your RC sections.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:20 pm

I think you will get into Loyola. Fingers crossed. That LSAT is above the 75 percentile-congrats. FWIW, I can tell you that Loyola students are very happy with their experience. I am a 2L. Good luck!

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:28 pm

OP, are you a URM?

Pards

New

Post by Pards » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:14 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:OP, are you a URM?
naw I'm white

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:22 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
MTal wrote:None that are worth going to.
with a 165, I tend to agree. And bhan, jesus christ. I would hate to see one of your RC sections.
Lol I take a rather minimalist mark up approach on RC if you can believe that.

Point still stands though. OP don't feel pressured to settle for law school now. Do some work, improve that LSAT score and you could be talking T25 in a few years

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:59 pm

retake and get into some T30 schools who are looking to whore out their LSAT.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Get a 167 and go to Emory.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:29 pm

LSP will be worthless for this guy. I have a similar GPA and it was worthless for me.

Lawschoolnumbers would be more helpful, with hourumd to help weed out the schools that don't even look at <3.0 applications. Hourumd is tricky though, because it doesn't have info from the most recent cycles, and some schools have improved their medians in recent years.

OP, if you can get your LSAT up you are in much better position. Pay attention to what WUSTL and IUB do this cycle, they're your best hope (but only if you get that LSAT up). Minnesota isn't out of the question. Go track down some people on LSN who aren't URM with your GPA and see how they did. I'd guess that their results got dramatically better when they got over 167 or so.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:54 pm

TheFactor wrote:Get a 167 and go to Emory.
So far emory hasnt admitted a single person with a below 3.0 GPA and 167+ while on the flip side are admitting 166 3.05's like its Christmas. FWIW. I didnt see much sub 3.0 action on LSN for them last year either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:51 am

166/167 = IU-B $$$$
168ish might get you UIUC and 169 could get you WUSTL

I know the whole "retake" bullshit gets annoying but if you're scoring 165 on a real test you have a legit shot at another 2-4 points which could get you T20 with $$$$

Tabemaju

New

Post by Tabemaju » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:23 am

St. Thomas in Minneapolis is a good bet.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:25 am

Retake, and get a 170+ and at least go to WUSTL, if not get some crazy work experience and apply ED at NU and you may have a small shot.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:28 am

dpk711 wrote:Retake, and get a 170+ and at least go to WUSTL, if not get some crazy work experience and apply ED at NUand you may have a small shot.
FTFY

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:38 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
dpk711 wrote:Retake, and get a 170+ and at least go to WUSTL, if not get some crazy work experience and apply ED at NUand you may have a small shot.
FTFY
Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit, but I'm fairly certain that 170/2.7s with WE aren't auto-admits at NU ED.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:40 am

dpk711 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
FTFY
Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit, but I'm fairly certain that 170/2.7s with WE aren't auto-admits at NU ED.
Lol they're not. Just wanted to introduce the new OP to the NU hyperbole on TLS. :D

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:42 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
FTFY
Lol they're not. Just wanted to introduce the new OP to the NU hyperbole on TLS. :D
8)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”