Need some honest opinions Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hinglish

New

Need some honest opinions

Post by Hinglish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi everyone, I need some honest opinons before I dive in. I have really been thinking about going to law school for a long time now, but I want to make sure if I go, I go to a t14. Now, I want people's honest opinions. I'm a terrible standardized test taker so I know the LSAT's are going to be a struggle for me, but if I study a lot I feel I could possible pully off mid 150's. Now I know t14 is all about numbers, but what do you guys think of my chances.

Undergrad GPA (small state school) 3.73, magna cum laude, double major in English and education (I wanted to be a teacher) and double minor in psych and history. I did a bunch of volunteering and I presented at a national conference and sat on a panel at that conference.

Grad school: Yale, I will have a master's in psychiatric nursing and I'll come out as a certified RN and psychiatric nurse practitioner (I'm assuming my grades will be around B, B+ because there is a lot of hard science) For those of you who don't know, a psychiatric nurse practitioner can prescribe medications and do therapy, it's like a physician's assistant. I'm working on an article to get published now and will have about one or two more (hopefully) published by the time I graduate in two years (just finished my first year).

I have worked at one psychiatric residential program for about 6 years and an inpatient psych facility for two years (at the same time while going to school). Both positions I held the title of a mental health counselor. Also the time I apply I will have one year RN experience under my belt.

The whole reason I want to go to law school is to understand policy and help the mentally ill on a larger, legislative scale (to make a very very long story short) and I really believe that a t14 school will allow me to achieve this. Also, are there any chances at HYS?

Anywho, thanks in advance. I typed this in a bit of a rush so I apologize before hand for any errors/mistakes.

Knock

Platinum

Re: Need some honest opinions

Post by Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Hinglish wrote:Hi everyone, I need some honest opinons before I dive in. I have really been thinking about going to law school for a long time now, but I want to make sure if I go, I go to a t14. Now, I want people's honest opinions. I'm a terrible standardized test taker so I know the LSAT's are going to be a struggle for me, but if I study a lot I feel I could possible pully off mid 150's. Now I know t14 is all about numbers, but what do you guys think of my chances.

Undergrad GPA (small state school) 3.73, magna cum laude, double major in English and education (I wanted to be a teacher) and double minor in psych and history. I did a bunch of volunteering and I presented at a national conference and sat on a panel at that conference.

Grad school: Yale, I will have a master's in psychiatric nursing and I'll come out as a certified RN and psychiatric nurse practitioner (I'm assuming my grades will be around B, B+ because there is a lot of hard science) For those of you who don't know, a psychiatric nurse practitioner can prescribe medications and do therapy, it's like a physician's assistant. I'm working on an article to get published now and will have about one or two more (hopefully) published by the time I graduate in two years (just finished my first year).

I have worked at one psychiatric residential program for about 6 years and an inpatient psych facility for two years (at the same time while going to school). Both positions I held the title of a mental health counselor. Also the time I apply I will have one year RN experience under my belt.

The whole reason I want to go to law school is to understand policy and help the mentally ill on a larger, legislative scale (to make a very very long story short) and I really believe that a t14 school will allow me to achieve this. Also, are there any chances at HYS?

Anywho, thanks in advance. I typed this in a bit of a rush so I apologize before hand for any errors/mistakes.
With a 3.73, you'd have to score very strong on the LSAT to have a decent shot at HYS. Have you taken at practice tests yet?

Personally, I don't think law school is for you. Law school teaches you to be a lawyer. Plus you've already been in school forever, I don't think more school is the answer. And if you want to do more school, why not a Masters in Public Policy rather than law school?
Last edited by Knock on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hank Chill

Bronze

Post by Hank Chill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Hinglish wrote:I know t14 is all about numbers

Hinglish

New

Post by Hinglish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 pm

I haven't :( Would the Yale grad school (in the sciences ) help me out at all?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Hinglish wrote:I haven't :( Would the Yale grad school (in the sciences ) help me out at all?
Not if you don't already have a sufficient LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hinglish

New

Post by Hinglish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:48 pm

knock, (or anybody else for that matter) what about the rest of the t14, not just HYS?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Hinglish wrote:knock, (or anybody else for that matter) what about the rest of the t14, not just HYS?
With a 3.7, its definitely possible, but it's all going to come down to your LSAT.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Knock wrote:
Hinglish wrote:knock, (or anybody else for that matter) what about the rest of the t14, not just HYS?
With a 3.7, its definitely possible, but it's all going to come down to your LSAT.
Yup, absolutely no chance with a mid 150's last. You'll need at least a 168 for the lowest of the t14

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:40 pm

About 0% shot at HYS with a score below 170. With a 170 you might pull of S. HY would need at least 172+.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 pm

You wouldn't happen to be an URM would you, OP? (African-American, Mexican-American, Native-American, or Puerto Rican)

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:29 pm

FiveSermon wrote:About 0% shot at HYS with a score below 170. With a 170 you might pull of S. HY would need at least 172+.
Not with a 3.7

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:31 am

You could get Harvard with a 175+. YS are probably out.

Cornell and GULC are possible with a 168. Duke with a 169. MVP with a 170. CCN with a 172.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:51 pm

ITT OP is going to be very disappointed. as the above posters said, you probably need 168 for any chance at t14 and a 175+ for even an abysmal shot at H.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”