167/3.68

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Sandstorm

167/3.68

Postby Sandstorm » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:50 am

I'm interested in some form of corporate law and I've applied (Back in December) to 4 schools:

Cornell
Boston University
George Washington
Boston College

I'm non-URM, and I went to a small school away from any sort of large city. I would like to live in Boston, D.C. or NYC after graduation from law school. I've interned at a Congressional office, a U.S. Senator's Office a state legislators office, a lobbying firm, and a law firm. I'm also on my schools Mock Trial team, I'm President of our Pre-law society, and co-captain of our club tennis team. I'm also an editor of our schools newspaper. Not that these all matter a great deal, but I thought I would share them. I would also like to get my MBA sometime during or after law school. I may plan to apply for a dual program sometime in the future. If anyone can tell me what my chances are, and also what school you would go to for a corporate law career in one the cities I mentioned, It would be much appreciated.

FiveSermon

Re: 167/3.68

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Cornell WL/out
Boston University In
George Washington In
Boston College In

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:41 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Cornell WL/out
Boston University In
George Washington In
Boston College In

+1

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:17 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:24 pm

Almost identical stats last cycle (168 though)

Cornell- Reserve
GW- In (no $$)
BC- Out
BU- didn't apply.

Sandstorm

Postby Sandstorm » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I wanted a little input before I elaborated. Also, there was another school I applied to after December which was William and Mary mainly because they gave me a fee waiver. Here is where I currently am:

Cornell- Still waiting
BU- Waitlisted
GW- In
BC- In
WM- In (Some $)

So I am still waiting to hear back from Cornell, I sent a LOCI a few weeks ago since I haven't heard back from them in a while. I always thought GW and BU were close to each other in terms of admissions. Thus if I got into one I would be able to get into the other, so I was slightly surprised with BU's WL. Should I be hopeful to still get into BU? Should I have any hope at all for Cornell? And still, what school would be best for my JD/MBA goal. Thanks!

Sandstorm

Postby Sandstorm » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:24 pm

And would visiting either Cornell or BU make any difference with admissions?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Sandstorm wrote:Thanks everyone for the input. I wanted a little input before I elaborated. Also, there was another school I applied to after December which was William and Mary mainly because they gave me a fee waiver. Here is where I currently am:

Cornell- Still waiting
BU- Waitlisted
GW- In
BC- In
WM- In (Some $)

So I am still waiting to hear back from Cornell, I sent a LOCI a few weeks ago since I haven't heard back from them in a while. I always thought GW and BU were close to each other in terms of admissions. Thus if I got into one I would be able to get into the other, so I was slightly surprised with BU's WL. Should I be hopeful to still get into BU? Should I have any hope at all for Cornell? And still, what school would be best for my JD/MBA goal. Thanks!

GW and BU are peers but I hear BU is cutting down class sizes this year which might make it a bit more competitive than years before. Also while you had strong numbers for both they were by no means a lock since you were below the GPA median (I believe).

Sandstorm

Postby Sandstorm » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:28 pm

I understood neither were locks, but when I got into GW I became optimistic for BU. Sure, I shouldn't have thought that getting into one would help to get into the other but because they are peers I did have higher hopes for BU.

Anyone have any thoughts on visiting a school your waiting to hear back from or are waitlisted at?

Sandstorm

Postby Sandstorm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Also, when will it be likely that I'll hear back from Cornell? Is there any chance I could be accepted? or denied outright? Will it be more likely that I'll be wait listed first either way? I want to try to remain optimistic.

Return to “What are my chances?”