UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Will I get in?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Yes
3
33%
No
6
67%
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
rpheifer
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm

UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby rpheifer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Working full time I did my undergrad work at Kaplan online with the intention of going to law school in a part time program after graduation. I had a GPA of 3.93 and a LSAT of 163. Do schools like UW Madison discount an online degree and if so do I stand a chance of getting into UW Madison’s part time program?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Interesting. Wasn't aware that Kaplan offered on-line college degrees. You probably need to call the admissions office at Wisconsin for an answer.

kayless
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:45 am

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby kayless » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 am

If you are referring to Kaplan-Concord, there is something you need to be extremely careful of. Last time I checked on this, only the California Bar acknowledges JDs from Online or correspondence schools. Check with the bar of your state of residence or where you wish to practice before you act. You could lose a LOT of money.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby Kabuo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:51 am

kayless wrote:If you are referring to Kaplan-Concord, there is something you need to be extremely careful of. Last time I checked on this, only the California Bar acknowledges JDs from Online or correspondence schools. Check with the bar of your state of residence or where you wish to practice before you act. You could lose a LOT of money.


If I'm reading this correctly, the question isn't about an online JD, but about whether an online BS will prevent him from getting a JD.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:10 pm

I think you're fine dude. Kaplan is regionally accredited. I don't think Law Schools are going to be in love with the idea, but if you have the requisite LSAT score and your GPA looks good, then I think they'll judge you similarly to everyone else.

User avatar
rpheifer
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby rpheifer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks guys. You are correct on the Concord finding. I looked into them way back, but when they were not ABA accredited I ran the other way. The other posters are correct in that my undergrad was online and I am looking to transition that into a JD from UW Madison. I was accepted into Marquette, but hope to hear back from UW Madison before my deposit is due on April 15th.

Thanks again. Here is to hoping my 163/ 3.94 is enough to get me in. Their tuition is just too hard to pass up.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:27 pm

I wouldn't let you in, but you have the numbers to get in. Hopefully they won't hold it against you.

User avatar
Andrzej
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby Andrzej » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm

if you get juris doctor online from another country in U.S.A you can practice in any country in the world. Good Luck!

User avatar
rpheifer
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby rpheifer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Fox, I hope they don't hold your opinion against me either... :lol: Is it just you- and many other “traditionalists”, or do you think many schools discredit distant learning even though they are accredited by the same organization as a brick and mortar school.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:55 pm

rpheifer wrote:Fox, I hope they don't hold your opinion against me either... :lol: Is it just you- and many other “traditionalists”, or do you think many schools discredit distant learning even though they are accredited by the same organization as a brick and mortar school.


Other people have had online schools, including some that weren't even regionally accredited, and their cycles go pretty normal. I think every admissions dean will view it differently. Some schools will want your good GPA, and don't care where it is from. However, it may hurt you because you are a reverse splitter. That 3.93 is from a shitty school, so some may view it as less reliable.

These programs aren't even cheaper than state school.

I think you'll get into any school where your LSAT is above median. I dunno about other schools. I assume some will care, others won't. Good luck. Wisco wouldn't have taken me either!

Good luck, I hope you get in.

User avatar
rpheifer
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby rpheifer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, they are right about where I have been as of late. Now the wait.....

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 pm

rpheifer wrote:Thanks for your thoughts, they are right about where I have been as of late. Now the wait.....


I think being a nontrad with a family will help a lot. It makes it harder to attend a real school. Where in wisconsin are you from? My family has a cabin in Hayward.

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Postby NoJob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:37 pm

rpheifer wrote:Working full time I did my undergrad work at Kaplan online with the intention of going to law school in a part time program after graduation. I had a GPA of 3.93 and a LSAT of 163. Do schools like UW Madison discount an online degree and if so do I stand a chance of getting into UW Madison’s part time program?


Don't go to UW. The Wisconsin kids are doing just as bad as the Marquette grads.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chargers21, haus, TragicBronson and 1 guest