My odds with a 2.8-3.0 gpa if i have a high lsat score? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nouvellemoi1

New

My odds with a 2.8-3.0 gpa if i have a high lsat score?

Post by nouvellemoi1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Hello guys.
can you please tell me if I have a shot at the t14 schools? here are my stats:
gpa:2.8-3.0 (in an Ivy.not a liberal arts one :D)
Lsat: not taken yet but rather good at standardized tests
Race: black (African).5 yrs in the US
Bilingual, French& English as a second language (and I would never stop learning :D)
experience in an international Science competition and teaching abroad
went from a community college (all i could afford) to an ivy (with no transfer agreement with that CC whatsoever).got a 4.0 during those 2yrs and an almost full scholarship for the ivy. So currunt gpa is only based on 2yrs.
had all As the 1st semester but grades fell due to family illness&surgeries/i had to work to support myself/fell ill
Would having work experience (I'm looking at consulting) help my chances? how many years?

Thank you for taking the time to read/help me. I really appreciate it. Good luck to you!

M&A621

New

Re: My odds with a 2.8-3.0 gpa if i have a high lsat score?

Post by M&A621 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:40 pm

nouvellemoi1 wrote:Hello guys.
can you please tell me if I have a shot at the t14 schools? here are my stats:
gpa:2.8-3.0 (in an Ivy.not a liberal arts one :D)
Lsat: not taken yet but rather good at standardized tests
Race: black (African).5 yrs in the US
Bilingual, French& English as a second language (and I would never stop learning :D)
experience in an international Science competition and teaching abroad
went from a community college (all i could afford) to an ivy (with no transfer agreement with that CC whatsoever).got a 4.0 during those 2yrs and an almost full scholarship for the ivy. So currunt gpa is only based on 2yrs.
had all As the 1st semester but grades fell due to family illness&surgeries/i had to work to support myself/fell ill
Would having work experience (I'm looking at consulting) help my chances? how many years?

Thank you for taking the time to read/help me. I really appreciate it. Good luck to you!

take the LSAT.

nouvellemoi1

New

Post by nouvellemoi1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:49 pm

yes i know i need to take the LSAT.i just want to know what score/range i need to have to have a realistic shot at the t14 schools.thanks for the reply though.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Nobody can answer your question without an actual LSAT score.

nouvellemoi1

New

Post by nouvellemoi1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:58 pm

ah ok.Sorry I didn't know that.I'm new to this forum.I just signed up for the test prep (testmasters).Ill check in once I take the exam (June).
Thank you all for your input & good luck with the prep/applications

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

M&A621

New

Post by M&A621 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:58 pm

nouvellemoi1 wrote:yes i know i need to take the LSAT.i just want to know what score/range i need to have to have a realistic shot at the t14 schools.thanks for the reply though.

I'm a firm believer in saying ALL of them, but alot of TLS members would say that's just reaching and hopeful thinking. As a URM I would say 3.0 GPA/170 LSAT gives you a good chance (depending on your softs) at Top 20, but without an LSAT score, its just all speculation. Even for myself, until I actually sit down and take the LSAT, and get my final LSDAS GPA, what's the point of asking what-if questions? Apply where you choose and don't be discouraged with "you'll NEVER get into Harvard" type posts. Applying to grad school is a once in a lifetime opprotunity, so what you lose $85 in admissions fees... at the very least you applied, and know for sure 'said' school accepted or rejected you. I always say apply, apply, apply, its all speculation otherwise.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:00 pm

OP may not be an "URM" if she is not a citizen of the US.

M&A621

New

Post by M&A621 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP may not be an "URM" if she is not a citizen of the US.

+1

nouvellemoi1

New

Post by nouvellemoi1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:18 pm

M&A621 wrote:
nouvellemoi1 wrote:yes i know i need to take the LSAT.i just want to know what score/range i need to have to have a realistic shot at the t14 schools.thanks for the reply though.

I'm a firm believer in saying ALL of them, but alot of TLS members would say that's just reaching and hopeful thinking. As a URM I would say 3.0 GPA/170 LSAT gives you a good chance (depending on your softs) at Top 20, but without an LSAT score, its just all speculation. Even for myself, until I actually sit down and take the LSAT, and get my final LSDAS GPA, what's the point of asking what-if questions? Apply where you choose and don't be discouraged with "you'll NEVER get into Harvard" type posts. Applying to grad school is a once in a lifetime opprotunity, so what you lose $85 in admissions fees... at the very least you applied, and know for sure 'said' school accepted or rejected you. I always say apply, apply, apply, its all speculation otherwise.
I'm an international student.
Thanks a lot M&A621.I'll curb my anticipation until after i take the LSAT.
Boardwalk Empire is my favorite show btw. Steve Buscemi is the best!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:26 pm

are you aware that your CC grades count in law school apps? I didn't get that impression reading the OP

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:19 am

jdfrisby wrote:are you aware that your CC grades count in law school apps? I didn't get that impression reading the OP
People get crushed by CC grades all the time. Hope this is the other way around and your CC grades boost your LSDAS GPA.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:25 am

OP is URM, regardless of whether she is a citizen or not

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:06 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

OP is URM, regardless of whether she is a citizen or not
taken straight from the TLS URM Application FAQ:

A URM is, quite simply, a minority group whose percentage of the population at a given law school is lower than their percentage of the population in the country.

Additionally, I would like to offer a small caveat to international students, who fall into a separate category of their own.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nouvellemoi1

New

Post by nouvellemoi1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:18 am

i had a 4.0 in CC.i didnt include in my current gpa.i would love of it can give me a boost but a girl can dream, right? even if it mean my gpa went down, it really doesnt matter (for me) bc i am hard worker and im not sick anymore.so it can only get better once im in law school.
I took 4 law classes in my ivy college and despite my sickness I did very well and can get a good rec from my prof.
thanks a lot for ur help guys.ill check in again once i take the lsat

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:25 am

nouvellemoi1 wrote:i had a 4.0 in CC.i didnt include in my current gpa.i would love of it can give me a boost but a girl can dream, right? even if it mean my gpa went down, it really doesnt matter (for me) bc i am hard worker and im not sick anymore.so it can only get better once im in law school.
I took 4 law classes in my ivy college and despite my sickness I did very well and can get a good rec from my prof.
thanks a lot for ur help guys.ill check in again once i take the lsat
Your CC gpa will factor into your LSAC gpa. They aggregate all your grades from all courses you had leading up to receiving your first bachelor's degree.

So if you had a 4.0 gpa in CC, and about a 3.0 in your traditional 4 yr university, (assuming you took equitable courseload between the two), your gpa is probably much closer to 3.5.

Combine this with a stellar LSAT, and there will be few doors that remain shut for you.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:34 am

You should calculate your LSDAS GPA. Your CC grades will factor in and there is a huge difference in applications for a 2.8 vs a 3.0.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”